Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Additional driver 18 year old - Best Company for Insurance Quote?

Options
  • 08-09-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

My 18 year old daughter (prov licence) has been a named driver on my car for last year (since she was 17)
    Renewal up now and quote has increased (for both of us) from 878 last year to 1500..:eek:
    No way can I pay that..
    She even has a years NCB on my policy now...

Any idea where best place is for quote for younger additional driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Check with as many insurers as you can. They're all ridiculously expensive for learner drivers, depending on the car €1500 is actually quite reasonable. Usually, I see the minimum being quoted as €1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Check with as many insurers as you can. They're all ridiculously expensive for learner drivers, depending on the car €1500 is actually quite reasonable. Usually, I see the minimum being quoted as €1200.
    CanT figure out why its gone up so much though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 D8 Saint

I found AXA were by far the cheapest for me.* I'd recommend getting onto them about it.

* although that's for me on a student policy on my own car, but still worth giving them a ring.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Zipppy wrote: »
    My 18 year old daughter (prov licence) has been a named driver on my car for last year (since she was 17)
    Renewal up now and quote has increased (for both of us) from 878 last year to 1500..:eek:
    No way can I pay that..
    She even has a years NCB on my policy now...

Any idea where best place is for quote for younger additional driver?

Try First Ireland. They give discounts for learners, and named driver experience. You can't get an online quote for them, you have to call, their number is 018820800. My learner quote was €960 in my own name.
    I gave that number to my OH's mum, and she rang for her quote and they were the most reasonable too!

Definitely try them!

May I ask, as a matter of interest, who are you insured with now?

Zipppy wrote: »
    CanT figure out why its gone up so much though?

I would imagine it's because of the new laws for female drivers that are due to come in at the end of the year, maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

I would imagine it's because of the new laws for female drivers that are due to come in at the end of the year, maybe?

Nope, Mate of mine who's 18 same story as the OP.... Jump of €2k in insurance!

Nope, Mate of mine who's 18 same story as the OP.... Jump of €2k in insurance!

I dunno, I know the first year after your test it's supposed to go up because you are driving on motorways and stuff that you wouldn't have driven on as a learner, but the only reason I can see for this is to encourage ppl to do their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

try Axa - we have 19yr old with 1 year full licence on our 1.6 car and its 740e this year. down from 790e last year when she had just passed her test the week before insurance renewal. try going to a broker too - I believe they have access to discounts not avail to rest of us.

Advertisement