Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Cooking Club Week 5: Pecan Pie

• 03-02-2012 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭

This is a recipe I've adapted from a few places so I hope you like it. It's a bit easier if you have a food processor, you can still do it if you don't. This recipe is a rare treat for me, as pecans can be a little pricey, worth it though.

You Will Need: Start off by either grinding the pecans in a food processor or put them in a bag and break them up with a rolling pin/meat mallet. And chopping the other 125g.

Heres the filling ingredients.
    sl370334.th.jpg

Then make the pastry, add the flour and butter into the food processor and blitz until like breadcrumbs.
    sl370337.th.jpg

Then add in the eggs and sugar, blitz then add a small enough of water slowly until it comes together, take your time to ensure it's not too wet.
    sl370339.th.jpg

Wrap the dough in cling film and leave it to rest for 30 mins in the fridge.

Roll out your dough on a floured surface until it's big enough to line your tin.
    sl370341.th.jpg

Then line it with baking parchment and rice or baking beans and bake it in a preheated 200 degree oven for 15 mins. (Don't worry if it's a bit untidy round the edges, its best to leave some excess and trim it after it's baked)
    sl370342.th.jpg

After 15 mins, remove the rice and paper and bake for a further 10 mins until slightly golden. After removing the case, reduce the oven to 140 degrees.

For the mix, Melt the butter in a bain marie (bowl over a pot of simmering water)
    sl370343.th.jpg

Remove it from the heat and add in all the remaining mix ingredients, except the pecans. (Add the eggs one at a time, whisking constantly). Return it to the heat and continue to stir until the mixture is warm
    sl370344.th.jpg

Remove it from the heat and mix in the ground and chopped Pecans.
    sl370345.th.jpg

Add the mixture to the case and decorate the top with remaining pecans
    sl370347.th.jpg

Bake in the oven at 140 for 60 mins until the mixture is cooked, it will still feel soft, but it firms up in the fridge.
    sl370348.th.jpg

Allow to cool slightly, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, then enjoy.
    sl370349g.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Oh. My. GOD.

I love you.

It's official.

(ETA - I have wanted to make pecan pie for AGES! Am not just randomly falling in love with people)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i fecking love pecan pie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I love love love Pecan Pie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Definitely give it a go, it takes a while but it's quite easy to make. A must for anyone with a sweet tooth like me:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Always wanted to make one of these. Will definitely give this a go this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Made this today

Very, very rich and sweet! :D

Thanks mmcn90

Des wrote: »
    Made this today

Very, very rich and sweet! :D

Thanks mmcn90

Great, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's very rich, a nice once in a blue moon treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd heard of this pie years ago and have always been curious about it so I made it last weekend but cheated slightly by using a pre-made pie crust and some little tart cases :p

Turned out very well though and the whole lot got devoured with thumbs up all round :D

198185.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

This was lovely. Thanks, mmcn90.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12830

I really like the way it stays molten under the top crust.

Looks delicious Alex, any chance you want to teach me to photograph food like that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Looks delicious Alex, any chance you want to teach me to photograph food like that :p

Don't use flash! The flash on a pocket camera is too intense for close-up photos and causes "whiteouts". Actually, the flash on pocket cameras are abjectly useless. They suck every bit of ambience out of a photo, suck it white.

Buy yourself a little tripod and use night shooting mode or whatever it's called on your own camera. The lens stays open longer in this mode as it is taking in ambient light and there is no need for flash, but you do need the tripod as it would be impossible to hold the camera dead steady for so long in your hands. Most pocket cameras are clever enough to know when it has taken in enough light to make a decent photo.

Use the timer delay to prevent camera shake which will happen when you press the button.

Check out the light temperature settings on your camera: tungsten, fluorescent, etc. If this is not done photos (not taken in full auto mode) can look blue (cold) or orange (warm).

I'm not claiming to be an expert photographer - I like to tinker around a bit, that's all - but the above steps should give you nicer indoor photos, even with a modest camera (I don't know what type you have, BTW. ).

Thanks, I've been meaning to have a mess around with the camera, but its a bit crap, might spend a few quid on a cheap(ish) slr, and give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

totally making this tomorrow.. Yaay! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hmm I have been looking for an Xmas dessert, this looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

This is cooling as we speak. Had a bit of a disastrous evening in the kitchen so I'm hoping the pie is salvageable . The sides of my pastry base didn't rise too well and separated from the edge of the tin, I think I was slightly short with the amount I had. I didn't have the ingredients to start again so I poured in the filling regardless! There was a lot of leakage :o It smells great though and the bit of leaked filling I've tasted is good so hopefully it won't be a waste of €8 worth of pecans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Should've read the recipe all the way through, especially where it says you need to let it cool and refrigerate for 4 hours! It's been staring at me for the last 2 hours, this beautiful beautiful pie. The torture.

IMG-1397403061629-V_zpsgpaanxsa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

@Jhonk

How did you make the minnie pies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    @Jhonk

JohnK wrote: »
    but cheated slightly by using a pre-made pie crust and some little tart cases :p

Used bought pie bases and filled them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    @Jhonk

Yeah those were shop bought cases, from M&S if I remember correctly. They were a grand and handy size but probably shouldn't have left them in for as long as the larger one.

I should really make this again...

Advertisement