Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

SantryRed wrote: »
    But they're different managers! There's no way Trappatoni will shift things about[\B] If he can it'll be the same 11 which has started almost all these games this campaign.

I haven't said he will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The absolute definites, in my book, barring some kind of injury or massive dip in form.

GOALKEEPERS
    Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood

DEFENDERS
    Richard Dunne
    Sean St Ledger
    John O'Shea
    Stephen Kelly
    Stephen Ward

MIDFIELDERS
    Aidan McGeady
    Glen Whelan
    Keith Andrews
    Damien Duff
    Keith Fahey
    Steve Hunt

FORWARDS
    Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long

That means there are spaces for 7 more players. Trap will almost certain bring a third goalkeeper, who it is, I have no idea. Assume it will be Forde, could be Murphy, although it really isn't that important who it is as they're not likely to play.

Also, I think Trap will bring two more strikers. On current form, it's almost certain they will be Cox and Walters. Keogh and Best are next in line, but they must be well down the pecking order at this stage. Stokes needs a monster season and must humble himself infront of Trap to even have a shot.

That leaves four players left, assume he'll take two more defenders and two more midfielders. As for defenders, Kilbane, O'Dea and Foley are going to be high up on the list. Delaney and McShane have probably slipped back in the pecking order, just can't see them getting into contention. No idea why people are talking up Clark and Cunningham. Clark is hardly playing and Cunningham is still fairly young. Feel sorry for Wilson in fairness, he hasn't even had a chance. I think he'll take O'Dea and Foley to be honest.

The last two midfielders is also going to be difficult. I think he will take a fourth winger, the obvious choice is Seamus Coleman, can't see Lawrence or Keogh going, Pilkington just too unproven at this stage. Coleman is just so unforunate that he has Duff and McGeady playing so well, however, I think he'll get the nod because he's a Premier League regular. That means there is one more space, a central midfielder. Anyone can play themselves into this position. Gibson not playing has meant he is dropping out of contention. McCarthy has been dropped for Wigan, so he certainly isn't guaranteed. Meyler is also back for Sunderland, Trap likes him. If Meyler gets fit and can get 15-20 games under his belt, I actually think he will get the nod. Hoolahan almost certainly isn't going, not sure why he is in so many squads.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    It happened with the likes of Baab and McAteer on the build up to USA '94. You WILL see players never before considered who'll come out of the woodwork
    Yea, but who is good enough? Considering that Trap has ignored Premier League players in favour of trusted Championship players, he's not even going to consider anyone unless they seriously improve the team.

Jamie O'Hara is the only one who would definitely improve us. Anton Ferdinand is a maybe. Can't think of anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Yea, but who is good enough? Considering that Trap has ignored Premier League players in favour of trusted Championship players, he's not even going to consider anyone unless they seriously improve the team.

Jamie O'Hara is the only one who would definitely improve us. Anton Ferdinand is a maybe. Can't think of anyone else.

David Meyler will be the man. Wait and see. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Of that type Pilkington, Naughton & Tierney could be useful. Meyler, Hoolahan & Wilson should also be looked at properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Naughton has Irish blood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

G.K. wrote: »
    Naughton has Irish blood?

What it this? We qualify for a tournament so we look for any who's in anyway Irish? I'd rather do shít with Irish players than a little bit better with a few journeymen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

David Meyler will be the man. Wait and see. :)

possibly deserving, but unlikely.

Trap doesn't like to call people up for quals/friendlies that don't go to his summer camps - so I can't see any new blood being added to the finals squad. Only players who have played under trap, and those who have been steady in the squads, will be considered imo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personally I think Walters has to come. If we're gonna play hoof ball, may as well play a striker who can make something of it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

At the moment Keane is the only certainty. A few months ago you'd have said Doyle would be aswell but injury and loss of form have done him no favours. I still think he'll be on the plane though.

I've a feeling Walters will go as he offers something a bit different, and after that it's take your pick from Long/Best/Cox/Keogh. Maybe one of them will go and maybe two, who knows?

Knowing how Trap operates I'd say club form probably won't count for much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Keane, Doyle and Long are guaranteed to be on the plane. Another striker being a big man is a a guarantee too and that's Walters for me.

Keane, Doyle, Long and Walters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭skippy15

Paully D wrote: »
    Keane, Doyle and Long are guaranteed to be on the plane. Another striker being a big man is a a guarantee too and that's Walters for me.

Think 90% in agreement with these four, offers our best variety of options,
    But Trap plays systems not form so could also be surprises too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Paully D wrote: »

I don't think Long is quite a certainty. If you think about it he's had pretty limited game time under Trappatoni in the last while, who seems to have been preferring Cox and Walters. I'd pick Long and so would you but then we're not Giovanni Trappatoni. He will always pick players who he feels are a best fit for his beloved system regardless of their ability or club form or anything else. It's what he's always done and he's not going to change now. Keane is a cert of course and a fit Doyle probably will be too, but after that it's guesswork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

darkman2 wrote: »
    Probably no chance for Robbie Brady to get a look in prior to this tournament? He looks like he could be a quality player based on what I have seen of him at Hull.

would love to see him in a few friendlies looks very useful from what ive seen, would like to see weso hoolahan aswell i think they would be two good additions

do you really want someone who is only going to play for ireland if it doesnt work out with england :eek: him and the likes should be told to go fook themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

just hearing earlier theyve more or less agreed to play each other at the end of season providing they dont draw each other in the euros, personally id rather draw them in the euros but whats peoples opinion on this good or bad? can we expect trouble etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Steven Reid was on newstalk yesterday. He siad that if it was the case the Ireland had a large number of injurys and Trap needed him to help out the squad, and he himself was injury-freee, then he would have to really consider returning. Other that that situation materialising, he wouldnt feel its right just making himself available.

While I dont wish injury on anyone, I'd love to see a rit Reid back in the squad. It is always a risk bringing an injury prone player into the squad, but he would be worth that risk imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

It's being reported in the right wing rag

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061017/England-hope-play-Ireland-Dublin-time-1995-abandonment.html

The headline is more than a bit annoying

What do people think , would you welcome England back to Lansdowne ?

I personally hate international friendlies , but I can sort of see the point as a warm up.

As an England fan I am still mortified by what happened in 95 .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id be more worried about the irish fans embarassing the country by booing the English national anthem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

England was going through a phase of hooliganism at the time.

This phase has since ended - I would have no worries whatsoever and would greatly appreciate another chance to pack out the Aviva and bring in a couple of thousands more visitors to the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I wouldn't mind having England back at all it will be a good test.

Was anyone else slightly surprised that the Dailymail didn't try and lay the blame at the gardaí batton charging english fans having crumpits and tea or something?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Steven Reid was on newstalk yesterday. He siad that if it was the case the Ireland had a large number of injurys and Trap needed him to help out the squad, and he himself was injury-freee, then he would have to really consider returning. Other that that situation materialising, he wouldnt feel its right just making himself available.

While I dont wish injury on anyone, I'd love to see a rit Reid back in the squad. It is always a risk bringing an injury prone player into the squad, but he would be worth that risk imo

Ah theres no way imo.

It was only a couple of weeks ago he revealed one fo the reasons he quite was because of what Trap siad (stupidly it has to be said) babout Reid's injury problems.

I always like to hear the "last resort" bit mentioned if we are desperate but there really is no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I don't want to draw them in either a friendly or the euros because I fear we'd get fu**ing mauled and that would be more painful than your average mauling. Much rather get Italy or Croatia from Pot 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Melion wrote: »
    Id be more worried about the irish fans embarassing the country by booing the English national anthem

i dont think you would see that, well hopefully not anyway, its disgusting any fans booing any anthem.

I don't want to draw them in either a friendly or the euros because I fear we'd get fu**ing mauled and that would be more painful than your average mauling. Much rather get Italy or Croatia from Pot 2.

not so sure that they would maul anyone....they were so dour against spain, the problems they have, well they are still there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should have happened years ago (under Stautons reign!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its too easy for their worst elements to get into the country,on the pitch the last thing we need is a hiding before we go to the euros

Its too easy for their worst elements to get into the country,on the pitch the last thing we need is a hiding before we go to the euros

you mean like it is all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So you think we'll take a beating in the stands and on the pitch?

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't see the point from a footballing pov.
    Would be much better off seeing who we draw and then organise friendlies against teams of similar style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    you mean like it is all the time?

yeah, they have no real reason to come over all the time, the football would be an excuse, like it has been at almost every major tournament since god knows when.

Also, yeah, been in Temple Bar on a weekend recently?

SE23 1989 wrote: »
    on PT the pitch the last thing we need is a hiding before we go to the euros

nonsense, what do you want we play a crap team and win easy? what good would that do? we need to play good teams to get something out of the friendlies

No but its sold as a place to get smashed so guess what happens?

Anyway that's a distraction, at some point the lance needs boiling. Or something,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

nonsense, what do you want we play a crap team and win easy? what good would that do? we need to play good teams to get something out of the friendlies

A 4 or 5-0 defeat would not be good for morale and unfortunately i think that's what would happen

A 4 or 5-0 defeat would not be good for morale and unfortunately i think that's what would happen

ah will you stop 5-0 me............ i think you have been listening to the english media too much lately, this england team are no better than average. i could not see them beating any half decent team 5-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

no team under Trapp would concede 5.

Look lads if England can beat us 4 or 5 nil then any of the top seeds could by that logic.

I have criticised many things under Trap's reigns but we don't conced huge amounts of goals, the only time we have conceded 3 competitively was against Russia.

Italy scored one against us in Bari, 2 in Dublin, Slovaks could only score 1 in two games, Bulgara could only score 2 in two games, France could only score 2 in two games and Russia failed to score in Moscow.

I want to see our lads take on the EPL players I watch week-in and week-out - it would be an excellent occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As an Englishman living in Ireland I really, really don't want us to play you in a friendly or draw you in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Beefy78 wrote: »
    As an Englishman living in Ireland I really, really don't want us to play you in a friendly or draw you in the tournament.

im in the same boat and from my point of view the sooner it happens the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

LowOdour wrote: »

Fair play to Steven Reid.

I've also noticed no one has mentioned Andy Reid. Some fall from grace for him over a relatively short period of time.

Trap/Tardelli have hinted before that there may be a change of approach if we qualified for a tournament. You dont have the home/away element. For this reason, I think there could be a couple of faces in the squad that would be difficult to predict now.

It's nearly impossible to say now who those surprises could be. There is a lot of time for someone to impress. Considering how he Trap has just thrown Walters and before him, Cox, into the starting line up, I wouldnt say that lack of experience would be fatal.

And...if Ireland made himself available, on current form he wouldnt be selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

+ 1

Of that type Pilkington, Naughton & Tierney could be useful. Meyler, Hoolahan & Wilson should also be looked at properly
    I was talking about English players who haven't already declared for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why not?

mectavba wrote: »
    Fair play to Steven Reid.
    Just to be clear on one thing, before Steven Reid is being accused of jumping on the bandwagon. He has consistently said since his retirement that he is open to a return to international football. He has also said Trap hasn't even been touch with him on a return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Tusky wrote: »
    Why not?

From a football perspective there's very little to gain (as ****e as we usually are we will be favourites). Capello & Trap know eachother and how they play, the England players know the Irish players and how they play and personally I'd prefer England to use one of their very limited friendly fixtures to play a different style of team than Ireland are.

But away from that I think there's too much baggage around this fixture. I've lived here for a while now and took more abuse on Friday from random drunken idiots after the Estonia game than I have in the last two years put together. And not banter from mates - abuse from dickheads. I can't be arsed with six months of that in the build up to a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

When you look at it we're fairly blessed in terms of versatility of our players, O'Shea can play anywhere in the back 4 or in midfield, Kelly can play right or left back, Foley can play right back or in midfield, Ward can play left back, left wing or even up top, Duff filled in at left back at Newcastle for awhile, Walters can play up top or on the wing, Hunt can play central midfield, Coleman can play right back or on the wing.

Makes picking a squad a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

From a footballing point of view I think it's a waste of time. We know how England play and our players are used to that style of opponent. I agree with AJ above, let's wait and see who we're drawn against and then plan accordingly.

The dream friendly would be Spain. Even if we get tonked, we get to pit ourselves against a team playing exactly the type of football that will cause us problems.

For selfish reasons make it an away match, that way I can go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

darkman2 wrote: »
    can he really have Walters and Cox ahead of Best who is scoring week in, week out in the EPL?

Best has played in 10 matches for Newcastle this season, scoring in 2 of them. He is far from scoring week in week out.

Walters has made 11 appearances scoring in 3. Cox isn't getting a chance at club level so hard to compare him.

Surely there is more to this fixture than simply style of play and knowing the players inside out?

Whatever happened to good old fashioned rivalry among neighbours?

Obviously this won't happen if we get drawn together.

The FAI need to strike while the iron is hot here and a friendly game against England means alot more to me as a football fan than a nothing game against similar opposition. It will also mean alot more to the FAI financially.

• Advertisement

Barring injuries I really dont see many if any changes to the current squad. They have done their bit to get us there and think any of the younger up and comers may be introduced in friendlies but with more of a look to the world cup than the euros squad. Dont want any players who suddenly declare an interest in playing for us. Jamie O Hara,ferdinand et al can f**k off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement