Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭briany

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Im pretty fed up of this excuse of "we have a system" whenever someone is left out in favour of a lesser player. Our whole "system" is thump it forward and hope Doyle (or whoever is playing alongside Keane) can get it down. Other then that it's defend, defend, defend. That's not a system, that's hit and hope. It's only a matter of time before that gets exposed (I fear it will be at the Euro's) and we don't have anything else as back up because Trap refuses to mix things up much.

While I'm at it, this whole issue of "Trap got us there, he's God!" is a joke. We have been there or thereabouts for as long as I can remember. Even Stan wasn't that far off a play off spot and he was crap. We're not San Marino, qualifying for a tournament isn't the miracle some like to make it out to be.

Didn't mean for that to be a rant :o

Ireland don't knock it long that much as a means of attack, more as means of defence. As far as attack goes, Ireland seem to prefer to play the ball wide and press high on the wings to either whip in a cross or win a corner or free kick within range. Occasionally, if a defensive long ball or breaking ball falls to one of the forward men like Keane, something might happen in front of the box as well but that's the exception.

I agree that the team has been there or thereabouts since '88 at least but Ireland have too often failed to get over the line from a good starting position (I'm thinking particularly of Kerr's WC2006 campaign). Trap is one three managers in the history of team who's been able to get Ireland to the big stage and for that he is not 'God' but he definitely deserves some credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

cant believe green is.going when the likes of clarke mccann even marc wilson can play midfield dm and lb. he at least should have been included. jeff hendrick and conor clifford are too inexpirenced. if only mccarthy was available

Soups123 wrote: »
    Don't know much about him to be honest, I don't know much about Green either. But to be honest when Fahy pulls out McCann probably isn't a realistic option at this late stage.

Probably not because he has never been included in any of Traps squads and is probably at home back in Dublin enjoying his holidays. As a 20 year old he had a row with Don Givens, and Givens warned him that he would never played for Ireland again. Seems to me that Don meant what he said. But mark my words this lad will be a regular in the Premiership in the near future.

Another player who will soon be knocking at Traps door the Jeff Hendrick who is only 20 and has just had a great season with Derby.
    don givens seems to pick fights with lots of irish under age squads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Anyone who remembers the defeat to Russia when they ran riot over us in Dublin will also remember it was Paul Green in midfield that night. He was so out of his depth it was very embarrassing. The thought of him coming on in a major tournament against our prospective opponents in the group frightens me. It really does.:(

Nothing against btw! I'm sure he is an honest, hard working guy but he is not up to this level.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Anyone who remembers the defeat to Russia when they ran riot over us in Dublin will also remember it was Paul Green in midfield that night. He was so out of his depth it was very embarrassing. The thought of him coming on in a major tournament against our prospective opponents in the group frightens me. It really does.:(

Nothing against btw! I'm sure he is an honest, hard working guy but he is not up to this level.
    I.never thought I would.be praying to god that nothing happens to whelan and andrews. cant foley.play central midfield?

replace green with coleman at rb/w if needed foley midfield and green down the welfare office or to polish up a new cv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭klose

He'll be on the bench with 12 others, slim chances of him even lacing his boots.
    Shocking hes there yes but thats vintage trap.

Onwards and upwards..

Here is the photographic proof from earlier.

1224316785005_1.jpg?ts=1338133314

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

David Meyler should be there ahead of Green.They both played about the same amount of games this season i.e hardly any,but Meyler is streets ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't think people are saying he is god, it's more a case on defending him against the **** some people put his way, I agree we should expect to be in the mix everytime, if he gets us through the Euro group I'll call him God:)

Defend defend defend and pump long is a system simple, slow and effective so far. If we tried a more open offensive game we'd struggle in my opinion

Jesus thats very narrow minded sure if Swansea and Norwich said to themselves start of last season oh sure we can't attack we'll be murdered im sure they'd be staring championship football in the face again just because we don't have the attacking luxuries of the likes of Germany, Spain, France doesn't mean we can't put it up to them , like a previous post said we're not the bloody faroes or San marino and we do have the players to attack teams properly just need the proper man at the wheel, Stan, Kerr were both wrong answers

Trap has done well to get us to the euros but we were extremly fortunate against Russia because of our style and fortunate at the draw we got (probaly a masked apology for the France game) i hope we will do it well at the tournament but the only game i see us getting something from is the Italians sadly...hope i'm wrong,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gutted for Fahey :(

Really wanted to see him play in the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

David Meyler should be there ahead of Green.They both played about the same amount of games this season i.e hardly any,but Meyler is streets ahead.

Trap and his loyalty to players like Green baffles me,after his performance against Russia I thought he wouldnt be seen in a green shirt again,he is a very limited player,Trap could have got Wes Hoolahan in he would offer us something different,but that was never going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I'm better than Paul Green FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Paul Green is poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

BERBA wrote: »
    I'm better than Paul Green FFS

You are, but your Bulgarian and we could not pick you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

I don't think people are saying he is god, it's more a case on defending him against the **** some people put his way, I agree we should expect to be in the mix everytime, if he gets us through the Euro group I'll call him God:)

Defend defend defend and pump long is a system simple, slow and effective so far. If we tried a more open offensive game we'd struggle in my opinion

Jesus thats very narrow minded sure if Swansea and Norwich said to themselves start of last season oh sure we can't attack we'll be murdered im sure they'd be staring championship football in the face again just because we don't have the attacking luxuries of the likes of Germany, Spain, France doesn't mean we can't put it up to them , like a previous post said we're not the bloody faroes or San marino and we do have the players to attack teams properly just need the proper man at the wheel, Stan, Kerr were both wrong answers

Trap has done well to get us to the euros but we were extremly fortunate against Russia because of our style and fortunate at the draw we got (probaly a masked apology for the France game) i hope we will do it well at the tournament but the only game i see us getting something from is the Italians sadly...hope i'm wrong,
    You can't compare prem league to international, a club manager can recruit a style of player, international has to play with limited options, I don't like our style but I do think Trap has 80% + of our best players in the starting 11 and I don't think we could have got as far as we have playing a more open game. I hope with the likes of McCarthy, Coleman, Long, McGeady, McLean, Ireland(possibly) becoming our mainstream players over the next 2/3 years it forces a more attacking style but I'll be happy no matter what way we play if qualifying 4 the WC & Euros

• Advertisement

Nah can't agree with that if anything International football should be easier as you have the same selection all the time look at our group

Andorra, Slovakia, Russia, Macedonia, and Armenia

If ya look at Armenia as a prime example they set there stall out to attack and they were unlucky not to qualify , like that is a very poor group Russia didn't even qualify for the last world cup, slovakia beat a rubbishi italian team at the world cup and got lauded for it

The fact the likes of Green and a few others have even made the squad is ridiculous.....Joe Lapira anyone

After Green being called up,I bet Wes Hoolahan feels fairly pissed off to say the least.And if I were him and Trap called me up in September I would feel like telling him to go F off.

To miss out on possibly your one and only tournament to a player,of Greens ability, who only came on board in the last year or two,where Weso played for Ireland at underage etc.

Nah can't agree with that if anything International football should be easier as you have the same selection all the time look at our group

Andorra, Slovakia, Russia, Macedonia, and Armenia

If ya look at Armenia as a prime example they set there stall out to attack and they were unlucky not to qualify , like that is a very poor group Russia didn't even qualify for the last world cup, slovakia beat a rubbishi italian team at the world cup and got lauded for it

The fact the likes of Green and a few others have even made the squad is ridiculous.....Joe Lapira anyone
    But the diff is Armenia didn't qualify, Traps style makes it easy for our squad we play the same home and away we wouldn't have picked up as many away points with this squad of players with an attacking approach.

International football I'm my opinion is harder than club mgt for obvious reasons.

Lastly none of my points in any way support Greens inclusion I think he is out of his debt and shouldn't be near the squad

But the diff is Armenia didn't qualify, Traps style makes it easy for our squad we play the same home and away we wouldn't have picked up as many away points with this squad of players with an attacking approach.

International football I'm my opinion is harder than club mgt for obvious reasons.

Lastly none of my points in any way support Greens inclusion I think he is out of his debt and shouldn't be near the squad

Dont know why you are so protective of Traps system.One of the only times the players said "Fcuk Traps system" against France in the 2010 playoff,we actually played World Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Paul Green doesn't have a club FFS

Neither did Gary Breen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Trap wants two holding midfielders playing in front of the back four. Its the way he always plays. Weso is not that type of player. He is not a defensive midfielder. To play Wes, Trap would have to play with only 1 striker. He was never going to bring a player like Wes, or Andy Reid, who is similar type of player. Can't understand why people can't get their head around this fact. We have a bunch of very ordinary players and I think Trap has done remarkably well to qualify the for a tournament. I'm not mad about Green, I would have rather seen a player like McCann or Myler brought but I trust Trap.

Yeah they didn't but thats my point Armenia are ****e ! We took 4 points from 6 against them using our current style but i'd imagine if we took them on in every area of the pitch we'd blow them away same with slovakia and macedonia who we struggled against

The minute we opened up against Russia at home they crapped themselves and almost gave up a 3 goal lead aswell..Like i said im not debating the way we've played hasn't worked, but rather saying if he opened up a little bit more we might have even won the group and not had a wasted trip to tailinn

Look at our World Cup Group , Germany are a fantastic side and no matter what way we play they'll still beat us, but everyone else in the group is there for the taking including a swedish side on the wane

Look at Austria, Kazaakstan these are teams we could and should be beating comfotabley but i more forsee a 1-0 home win or 0-0 this is where we're going wrong

Dont know why you are so protective of Traps system.One of the only times the players said "Fcuk Traps system" against France in the 2010 playoff,we actually played World Class.
    How am protective of it? I already said I don't like it but 20 years of following the team when someone gets it right and we qualify for a tournament we haven't qualified for in 22 yrs I appreciate it.

You don't seriously believe the players decided the approach in Paris? It's easy to get the adrenilne for one game it's not the same over the course of a group.

Yeah they didn't but thats my point Armenia are ****e ! We took 4 points from 6 against them using our current style but i'd imagine if we took them on in every area of the pitch we'd blow them away same with slovakia and macedonia who we struggled against

The minute we opened up against Russia at home they crapped themselves and almost gave up a 3 goal lead aswell..Like i said im not debating the way we've played hasn't worked, but rather saying if he opened up a little bit more we might have even won the group and not had a wasted trip to tailinn

Look at our World Cup Group , Germany are a fantastic side and no matter what way we play they'll still beat us, but everyone else in the group is there for the taking including a swedish side on the wane

Look at Austria, Kazaakstan these are teams we could and should be beating comfotabley but i more forsee a 1-0 home win or 0-0 this is where we're going wrong
    I really don't think if we simply opened up we'd have bet these teams, we'd have lost in Russia, Slovakia possibly Armenia. Listen it's not possible to agree what might have happened as I said already we have qualified and I appreciate it I wud love to see a more entertaining approach but I wud'nt at the sacrifice of qualifying.

I also think your under estimating Sweden and Austria I expect tough games against both, I'd happily take the one nils u wud'nt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Trapattoni has won European cups, countless league titles, domestic cups, he is on €2m a year, he is recognised as one of the most successful managers of all time. Trust me, I think he knows what he is doing. I know this is a discussion forum, everyone entitled to their own opinion, but I genuinely think some people will NEVER be happy with the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I agree Green isn't much of a player, but Hoolohan couldn't possibly replace Fahey in the system Trap plays.

And even if he could, he wasn't part of qualifying (or recent friendlies like McClean), so was never under consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Ormus wrote: »
    I agree Green isn't much of a player, but Hoolohan couldn't possibly replace Fahey in the system Trap plays.

And even if he could, he wasn't part of qualifying (or recent friendlies like McClean), so was never under consideration.
    i no what your say ormus but jesus green is so sh1te to be playing for ireland

Trapattoni has won European cups, countless league titles, domestic cups, he is on €2m a year, he is recognised as one of the most successful managers of all time. Trust me, I think he knows what he is doing. I know this is a discussion forum, everyone entitled to their own opinion, but I genuinely think some people will NEVER be happy with the national team.

Great manager granted,but he has his flaws aswell.This is a manager who didnt know 2/3 weeks ago that Ian Harte (now premiership player)was Irish.Although Id blame the FAI for that.

Also,if he wasnt so head strong,Mark Wilson would be in the squad.Holding grudges.

He also fcuked about with James McCarthy for long enough.Left him on the bench long enough also.

He apparently texted Liam Lawrence out of nowhere to say "thank you for your time with Ireland".Lawrence said he was fairly gutted.

I think he did something similar with Kilbane.

He invited Barry Maguire over to leave him sit in the stand at Aviva and we never saw him no more.

Everyone is open to critisism,including Trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ireland are better than Austria.

Sweden? I am less convinced that Ireland can hold off some combination of Ibrahimovic, Elmander, Larsson, Elm, Toivonen, Berg and Guidetti, and they have Martin Olsson too. That's a potent set of attacking options.

been watching Ireland since Italia 90 and can safely the only man who did have us playing good football was Mccarthy and we battered a few of those lesser nations that time, and were a penalty shootout away from a qf against korea :/ but anyway look all i was saying is we don't have to be afraid of every single team we play thats all be a little braver with the system ....and i think its downright insulting that Trap suggests we're incapable of doing it shed load of trophies or not

• Advertisement

And i didn't say i wouldn't be happy with a 1-0 against Swedan i simply said there on the wane and not the team they used to be, there very like us actually a lot of journey men players who pull all the stops when they put there own countries jersey, except for Ibrahimavich he can be a lazy bollix or unplayable just look at the two legs against arsenal in the champions league to see that, ripped arsenal apart in the san siro , at the emirates...was he at the emirates :O

naughto wrote: »
    i no what your say ormus but jesus green is so sh1te to be playing for ireland

I agree, he isn't up to international football, but Hoolohan is not the answer to replace Fahey.

If the likes of Meyler or McCann had figured recently, I would have preferred them. Even Wilson has experience in midfield. Or Stephen Reid if he was fit and could be convinced.

Hopefully we don't need to use Green at all.

Ireland, if they gain second to Germany in the group, would likely be first seeds in the playoff. Sweden are on the wane but still going to be very tough. FIFA fecked the group up because we would have been second seed if they had have waited a few days for the December rankings post our Estonia playoff. They acknowledged it was not the best thing to do aswell afterward:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭themacman

Great manager granted,but he has his flaws aswell.This is a manager who didnt know 2/3 weeks ago that Ian Harte (now premiership player)was Irish.Although Id blame the FAI for that.

Also,if he wasnt so head strong,Mark Wilson would be in the squad.Holding grudges.

He also fcuked about with James McCarthy for long enough.Left him on the bench long enough also.

He apparently texted Liam Lawrence out of nowhere to say "thank you for your time with Ireland".Lawrence said he was fairly gutted.

He invited Barry Maguire over to leave him sit in the stand at Aviva and we never saw him no more.

I thought this "he didn't know Ian Harte was Irish" was proven to be bull****, something about Tardelli watching him play. Correct me if I'm wrong, been out of the loop for a while.

themacman wrote: »
    I thought this "he didn't know Ian Harte was Irish" was proven to be bull****, something about Tardelli watching him play. Correct me if I'm wrong, been out of the loop for a while.

Yeah Tardelli has been to watch Reading play a good few times.

He certainly has awful communication skills in English, I'll grant you that. I can't imagine what kinda garbled texts he sends to players.

On the other hand, if he wasn't so headstrong he woulda built his team around Andy Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

We all dream of a team of Paul greens!

rumour has it kevin foley ruled out and mcshane is in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Paul McShane... Oh boy. Actually, I thought he had a decent game against Bosnia in the first half though he was caught out of position two or three times as he was bombing forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Sin City wrote: »
    rumour has it kevin foley ruled out and mcshane is in

Yeah he's out.
    McShane and Green are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Mcshane is a limited footballer, but there's no doubt that he will give 110% for the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Mcshane is a limited footballer, but there's no doubt that he will give 110% for the cause.

To be fair, I think a lot of our squad are quite limited in their ability but Trap has them playing to their strengths and it's working.

He is already nursing a bruised heel so if he gets crocked against the Hungairans or the amatures tonight will Coleman get drafted to play at right back?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Paul McShane... Oh boy. Actually, I thought he had a decent game against Bosnia in the first half though he was caught out of position two or three times as he was bombing forward.

True and he played well against the Italians in THAT friendly but being caught out of position against the likes of Spain will be suicide.

Get well soon John O Shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Football Association of Ireland

Press release

May 29, 2012

THREE.IE

Giovanni Trapattoni today (May 29) submitted his 23 player list to UEFA for EURO 2012.

Commenting on the selection, Giovanni Trapattoni said;

“With the injuries that we experienced in the squad over the past week, I have had to make a tough decision when it comes to naming the 23 players that must be submitted to UEFA for the championship. Kevin Foley, John O’Shea, Paul McShane, Darren O’Dea, Shay Given had all been carrying knocks and we have been monitoring them closely in their recovery. Although Kevin has been recovering well, I have made the difficult decision to leave him out of the 23 player list after completing fitness tests on John O’Shea and Paul Mc Shane this morning. I have spoken to him and understand how difficult it is, saying that he can remain with the squad if he wishes.”

Republic of Ireland squad numbers, UEFA EURO 2012

1 Shay Given 20/04/76

2 Sean St Ledger 28/12/84

3 Stephen Ward 20/08/85

4 John O’Shea 30/04/81

5 Richard Dunne 21/09/79

6 Glenn Whelan 13/01/84

7 Aiden McGeady 04/04/86

8 Keith Andrews 13/09/80

9 Kevin Doyle 18/09/83

10 Robbie Keane 08/07/80

11 Damien Duff 02/03/79

12 Stephen Kelly 06/09/83

13 Paul Mc Shane 06/01/86

14 Jonathan Walters 20/09/83

15 Darron Gibson 25/10/87

16 Keiren Westwood 23/10/84

17 Stephen Hunt 01/08/81

18 Darren O’Dea 04/02/87

19 Shane Long 22/01/87

20 Simon Cox 28/04/87

21 Paul Green 10/04/83

22 James McClean 22/04/89

23 David Forde 20/12/79

ENDS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paul Mc Shane in the squad?

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

That_Guy wrote: »
    To be fair, I think a lot of our squad are quite limited in their ability but Trap has them playing to their strengths and it's working.

And slow to overlap when he was going forward, left Duff flying solo once or twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Did anyone see that ball that went across our 6 yard box in the Bosnia game, McShane nearly got on the end of it, I was sure that was goin into our onion sack

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Des wrote: »
    Paul Mc Shane in the squad?

:D:D

Des, do Ireland a favour and call him up for the game tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des, do Ireland a favour and call him up for the game tonight

Could do with a better RB I suppose, and he's better than our current one.

BOOM!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement