Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 15: Tunisian-style Chicken Stew

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. Nice touch with the preserved lemons!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gave this a go tonight. I can imagine you'd get something like this in a jar, but making this from scratch was worth the effort. Many thanks, HB! :)

tunisianstew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I just made a veggy version of this after looking in the fridge and rediscovering the tube of harissa paste that I got a while back. :pac:

I used potato slices instead of chicken breasts and water instead of chicken stock.

Lovely!

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10349

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made this just now by the looks of OH's plate its a winner. Really easy to make and very tasty. Sorry for poor picture quality, cant find camera anywhere.

Thanks Hill Billy

2m7xdus.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Having this tonight, not had it in a while, but it's always a winner - simmering away now, just waiting for it to finish off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Made thus yesterday n threw in cubed salad potatoes. Awesome, thou I didn't see where the oregano cinnamon n coriander went. So in the stew while she simmer

What a coincidence that this thread came up again! Mrs Billy is a bit poorly at the mo, so when I was home at the weekend I made a massive pot of this (upon request) to see her & The Kids through the week.

I'm delighted that it is still being enjoyed 4 years after it was posted. :)

I made this on Monday night and had it last night, was really nice! I also didn't put in the oregano as I didnt see where it went in.

My peppers were a bit too moist for my liking but the turnip was lovely in it. Will mix it up next time with different veg I think.

My bad on the oregano - I usually add it when sweating the veg. If I have fresh (very rarely) - I'd add a sprinkle just before serving. No big deal if it is used or not.

Edit: When I made this at the weekend I used butternut squash instead of turnip. It absorbs the flavours even better, but you need to keep the chunks of squash quite large, otherwise it can disintegrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Edit: When I made this at the weekend I used butternut squash instead of turnip. It absorbs the flavours even better, but you need to keep the chunks of squash quite large, otherwise it can disintegrate.

I dislike turnip, so used Sweet Potato in mine, quite similar to Squash in texture after cooking.

I also put in some halved button mushrooms, which were lovely too.

It's such a versatile and forgiving dish, whack anything in.

It was also my first time using Harissa Paste (I'd been using the spice mix previously), definitely added a dimension to it.

I'd like to know some other uses for Harissa.

• Advertisement

I've added harissa to hummus & yoghurt to give a kick to them when used as dips.

It is also great as a rub for lamb in tagine-types dishes.

Advertisement