Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swearing/Cursing?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SubrbanOblivion

I'm pretty bad about it, but been trying to curb it as of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I've gotten this notion into my head that somehow it is part of my cultural identity as an Irish person to use what is considered bad language.

I rarely curse though, when I do, I mean it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

who decided the word prick was more offensive than penis? they mean the same feckin thing, ridiculous!

"You can prick your finger but you musnt finger your prick" (From "seven words you can never say on television")

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I curse all the time, I try not to but it just seems to flow out of me. Sure you can't discribe anything in the west of Ireland without cursing. One lad from the Donegal got a great laugh out of our use of the word cuntish, which I thought was universally used throughout Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Hmmm myself. When I was in early teens I had a swearin' phase. The time when I did swear in front of or at my parents I got a good aul shlap :D

Nowadays if I swear it's without realising it and I get a reaction of disappointment that I've sworn. It's as their face drops in shock and they're like "ah john, don't be swearing :("

I then say sorry. Then again ya can't beat a good aul rant and rave about something with a few F's and blinds in it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 toffeearmy

I only really curse when im drunk unless someone really does my head in .

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

I hate people who don't curse around their parents, acting a bit fake around them like, I curse all of the time so why not in front of my parents, thats me and they just know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

lol5605 wrote: »
    I hate people who don't curse around their parents, acting a bit fake around them like, I curse all of the time so why not in front of my parents, thats me and they just know that.

Fcuk it it's a small price to pay for a quiet life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I think it's just basic respect for how the effort they've put into raising us.

I might go out on weekends and pee in the street and drink far more than I'd admit and take drugs in a niteclub bathroom and talk rudely to depressed Turkish take-away staff and score someone I'm never going to call again - that's me - but it doesn't mean I'd want my parents to see it (for their sake more than anything else)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well some people's parents have a huge problem with it so they'd rather not stir sh1t than be true to themselves. My dad just tuts at the occasional utterance of e.g. "bullsh1t" from me, but if I swore a blue streak, he'd get cranky - there's no point riling him, he's not getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I do swear quite alot, there isnt a person who i dont swear in front of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I Was VB wrote: »

What about nuns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

SomeFool wrote: »
    Originally Posted by I Was VB viewpost.gif
    What about nuns?
    What about nuns nursing sick orphan puppies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

What about nuns nursing sick orphan puppies

Shower O cants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

SomeFool wrote: »
    What about nuns?

Especially nuns ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I would make a sailor blush

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm a chronic swearer the majority of the time, in front of my parents included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I swear far too much.

Even let slip sometimes in front of older relatives and in-laws (including believe it or not, a nun).

I'm trying to get a handle on it, but it's tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I curse in pretty much every sentence I can. It probably is at the point where I don't think about it. I do it all the time around my family, they may not be as bad as me but we all get along great and would be as relaxed around each other as we would our friends.

Sometimes your Mother needs to be told to fúck off as much as the next guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DazMarz wrote: »
    I swear a lot. But I can turn it on and off. If I'm around people (girlfriends' parents, certain relatives, etc.) I never swear.

In most normal situations, it's like a machine-gun. Non-stop swearing.
    Aye. Don't swear in front of certain people (parents, grandad, etc), but otherwise, I swear a f**k load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

McChubbin wrote: »
    I don't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about swearing.

I liked transmetropolitan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

I swear a lot when I feel like it - I like swearing sometimes. It can be good for emphasis, comedic affect, expressiveness - sometimes no other word/words will do. But like another poster says I can turn it on/off.

But yes I swear in front of my parents and in laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Fuckin hell. I Fuckin curse all the fuckin time. It spews out of me like shite flowin down a bastard river. Can't stop, even if I fuckin want to. I blame Kevin Bloody Wilson The Cunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i have a mouth like a sailors parrot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I swear a fair bit. I'm not going to change or monitor my language in case it might offend somebody. In fact, if somebody is really offended by bad language, I reckon they deserve a good verbal bollocking. They're just words ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's not fake at all. I swear around mates because they're fine with it, I'm a bit more relaxed around mates' parents who are more liberal.
    My parents, however, hate swearing (even though they swear :confused:) so I'm just respecting their wishes... and they'd kill me if I did.

It's all about respect. I've a mate who's dad won't even let people say "Jesus Christ" etc. in the house; but this lad swears constantly outside of home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rarely (see sig :)), on the topic of swearing, i love American TV censorship. Office Space was on recently, god damn customers became gall darn customers and pound me in the ass prison became pound me into ash prison. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

I very rarely swear. Except shít. I don't count shít as a swear word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ruu wrote: »
    Rarely (see sig :)), on the topic of swearing, i love American TV censorship. Office Space was on recently, god damn customers became gall darn customers and pound me in the ass prison became pound me into ash prison. :D

The worst thing to happen to TV...

Advertisement