Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swearing/Cursing?

• 01-02-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

Do you swear/curse much?

I'm always intruiged by people who can swear in front of their parents; it's something I've never done and would get killed if I did. Did you swear in front of them from a young age, did you start at a certain age or would you still not swear in front of them?

Personally, I swear far, far, far too much in front of mates; not so much around people I don't know too well; and never around family.

What about yourselves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

i never fecking curse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I don't tend to swear a lot and certainly would never have been allowed to do it in front of the folks. I'd still be wary about doing in front of them theses days. Sure I once swore in front of the missus' parents and got a clip round the ear from her mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I swear a lot. But I can turn it on and off. If I'm around people (girlfriends' parents, certain relatives, etc.) I never swear.

In most normal situations, it's like a machine-gun. Non-stop swearing.

I've been accused of having Tourettes before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I don't fcuking curse :D
    Actually same as you-don't swear at home at all,no one in the family swears at each other. Swear like a sailor at all other times-every 2nd sentence usually has some type of swear word in it. Just habit at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The English language is a brick wall between you and me, and fuck is my chisel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Rarely curse in RL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm 44yrs old in March and have never cursed in front of my parents, and rarely in front of friends. And the few times I do I usually excuse myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

TheZohan wrote: »
    Rarely curse in RL.

You don't have a real life! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

mikom wrote: »

Good 'ol Tommy Tiernan!:D

Dont curse that much I dont think. I tend to say Jesus Christ a lot. Is that a curse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mikom wrote: »

I bet you heard that once, years ago, and couldn't wait to fit it in somewhere!...

I'm right, ain't I?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Brummy you just stole this from the C&H general chat thread...didn't you? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Only in As Gaeilge, feck ....you can pogue mahone :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm 44yrs old in March and have never cursed in front of my parents, and rarely in front of friends. And the few times I do I usually excuse myself.

Advanced Happy birthday greetings.

I swear quite abit although usually only to myself, or in front of my GF(she swears like a sailor!). Never in front of parents. With friends is a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I probably curse way too much. I do it an awful lot in front of my friends. In fact, cnut is my favourite word! Cursing in front of my mam is a different story. I would say "sh*t", "bitch", etc but only when I'm REALLY mad would I say f*ck, and even then, there's a big hesitation and I feel like a kid cursing for the first time!

I've been told I can get away with cursing though as I have an innocent face :confused: Also, on holidays in Ibiza a few years ago, my friend and I got friendly with a group English lads and they said they couldn't stand English girls swearing but because we were Irish we got away with it!

2000th post woohoo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Fago_25 wrote: »
    You don't have a real life! :pac:

Off the booze over a month now....methinks will have to break that resolution next weekend....Frank the Tank will come out. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I went to an all boys school when I was younger and used to get a lot of grief over not swearing. Unlike a lot of people who don't swear, I picked up my aversion to swearing from a family of swearers. It really turned me off.

One of the most embarrassing experiences of my childhood was my very elderly and upright primary school teacher driving me home one afternoon. We arrived in the farmyard to see my similiarly elderly and upright grandmother - priggish but with a mouth like a docker - screaming "you stupid f*ucking c*uunnts!" at a pretty gobsmacked pen of sheep.

I always saw swearing as something to avoid, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I bet you heard that once, years ago, and couldn't wait to fit it in somewhere!...

I'm right, ain't I?.

Used it a few times.
    It's a Tommy Tiernan quote........ from before the time when his act was all about the shoutin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Quite a lot, especially when I am trying to emphasise a point... I curse too much, but then again they are only words. Swearing doesn't offend me. I have played some games online where the words "hell" and "damn" got me banned from the server. Seriously though, that's going a bit too far, right? Normally I relate the banning of those words to christian americans, not always jesus freaks either.

Why are those words so taboo in America though? Am I right in saying it was bad in Ireland too to say those words, once upon a time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

jumpguy wrote: »
    Brummy you just stole this from the C&H general chat thread...didn't you? :P
    I was honestly thinking about this earlier when I heard the c-word on tv! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I swear all the time, including in front of my folks,

I've been meaning to concentrate on stopping lately. It can come across as a bit crude, which isn't always the image I'm trying to portray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

I swear a lot. Mostly through spanish words mixed in with English sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Usually the only occasion when I'd curse is when I'm by myself and I'm especially annoyed about something, and even then I would just mutter one.

There are occasions when a curse can be completely appropriate, but when someone adds a curse to every second sentence then they just make themselves look foolish I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Oneironaut

I rarely swear in front of my friends or people my own age, seems a bit lame to me. But I do make a point of swearing as extravagantly as humanly possible in front of my parents and family, because their reactions still make me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I don't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about swearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

McChubbin wrote: »
    I don't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about swearing.
    Well that made me a little sick in my mouth.

Not excessively, but when I feel appropriate - yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i swear like a fishwife. infront of friends and family, but my da gives out, he usually says "stop fcuking cursing we'llallhavetea!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I probably curse and swear in font of my parents more than I would in front of my friends. I go through stages though so it becomes more of a habit than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A bit, yes - pretty much just for emphasis/effect, which I'd imagine is the case for most people.
    I swear happily in front of my mother, as does she (including "cunt") but I swear very little in front of my dad (even though he's mightily fond of the auld swears).

I don't like when people get offended by "cunt" - it's just a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Dudess wrote: »

I don't like when people get offended by "cunt" - it's just a word.

Speaking of which, who decided the word "cunt" was more offensive than, lets just say, the word "prick"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Speaking of which, who decided the word "cunt" was more offensive than, lets just say, the word "prick"?

who decided the word prick was more offensive than penis? they mean the same feckin thing, ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SubrbanOblivion

I'm pretty bad about it, but been trying to curb it as of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I've gotten this notion into my head that somehow it is part of my cultural identity as an Irish person to use what is considered bad language.

I rarely curse though, when I do, I mean it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

who decided the word prick was more offensive than penis? they mean the same feckin thing, ridiculous!

"You can prick your finger but you musnt finger your prick" (From "seven words you can never say on television")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I curse all the time, I try not to but it just seems to flow out of me. Sure you can't discribe anything in the west of Ireland without cursing. One lad from the Donegal got a great laugh out of our use of the word cuntish, which I thought was universally used throughout Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Hmmm myself. When I was in early teens I had a swearin' phase. The time when I did swear in front of or at my parents I got a good aul shlap :D

Nowadays if I swear it's without realising it and I get a reaction of disappointment that I've sworn. It's as their face drops in shock and they're like "ah john, don't be swearing :("

I then say sorry. Then again ya can't beat a good aul rant and rave about something with a few F's and blinds in it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 toffeearmy

I only really curse when im drunk unless someone really does my head in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

I hate people who don't curse around their parents, acting a bit fake around them like, I curse all of the time so why not in front of my parents, thats me and they just know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

lol5605 wrote: »
    I hate people who don't curse around their parents, acting a bit fake around them like, I curse all of the time so why not in front of my parents, thats me and they just know that.

Fcuk it it's a small price to pay for a quiet life!

I think it's just basic respect for how the effort they've put into raising us.

I might go out on weekends and pee in the street and drink far more than I'd admit and take drugs in a niteclub bathroom and talk rudely to depressed Turkish take-away staff and score someone I'm never going to call again - that's me - but it doesn't mean I'd want my parents to see it (for their sake more than anything else)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well some people's parents have a huge problem with it so they'd rather not stir sh1t than be true to themselves. My dad just tuts at the occasional utterance of e.g. "bullsh1t" from me, but if I swore a blue streak, he'd get cranky - there's no point riling him, he's not getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I do swear quite alot, there isnt a person who i dont swear in front of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I Was VB wrote: »

What about nuns?

SomeFool wrote: »
    Originally Posted by I Was VB viewpost.gif
    What about nuns?
    What about nuns nursing sick orphan puppies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

What about nuns nursing sick orphan puppies

Shower O cants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

SomeFool wrote: »
    What about nuns?

Especially nuns ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I would make a sailor blush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm a chronic swearer the majority of the time, in front of my parents included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I swear far too much.

Even let slip sometimes in front of older relatives and in-laws (including believe it or not, a nun).

I'm trying to get a handle on it, but it's tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I curse in pretty much every sentence I can. It probably is at the point where I don't think about it. I do it all the time around my family, they may not be as bad as me but we all get along great and would be as relaxed around each other as we would our friends.

Sometimes your Mother needs to be told to fúck off as much as the next guy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement