Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Chat-up lines work?

• 22-11-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone knows at least 5 nauseating 'chat-up' lines, whether they be about angels, dreams, running, heaven or tossing a coin.

For all the merryment/vomiting they cause; do they actually work?

Lads, have you ever used one that's worked?
    Ladies, has one ever worked on you*

*Or vice-versa, but Wimminz using chat-up lines doesn't seem common

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Does this smell like chloroform".................. 60% of the time it works, every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Breaking the ice without coming across as a weirdo works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Does anyone actually use cheesy chat-up lines though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

In my experiance, all you need is a nice smile, clean shirt & the ability to nod & say 'that's right darling' every so often, when they're talking to you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'd say it works if the guy actually meant it and was trying to break the ice rather than someone just doing it for the laugh where his mates were looking on laughing. Depends on his attitude really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I actually got the chat up line... you look like you're into music with your hair, i'm in a band... needless to say it didn't work...

If a guy came up to me with a chat up line but used it more as an ice breaker, it would make us both more comfortable. I hate cheesy chat up lines, but they are funny:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Chat-up lines are cringeworthy imo I've never used one.That program on MTV "The pickup artist" was a prime example of cringy lines!

Gillington wrote: »
    That program on MTV "The pickup artist" was a prime example of cringy lines!

What a show that was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Personally I'd be more likely to react favourably to a cheesy/funny chat-up line if it was done tongue-in-cheek than I would be to the standard "Weeellll, what's your name *lingering pervy stare*" But someone usign them seriously would be a bit cringey.
    Elba101 wrote: »
    I actually got the chat up line... you look like you're into music with your hair, i'm in a band... needless to say it didn't work...

If a guy came up to me with a chat up line but used it more as an ice breaker, it would make us both more comfortable. I hate cheesy chat up lines, but they are funny:p

umm, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

brummytom wrote: »
    Wimminz using chat-up lines doesn't seem common

Not even when they ask for fifty quid?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

From my own expierence I always found the simple ' hello , how are you ? ' or Hi , were ya from yourself ? ' with a smile approach much better than any cheesy chat up line .

umm, what?

That's exactly what i said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I was eye-ing up a guy in the pub one night, and he was eye-ing me up too :). All good so far. However he was taking his time in coming over, so I pointed at my watch as if to say 'I haven't got all night mate!'.

It worked :p. You really do have to have your tongue firmly in cheek though when you do it. I was lucky in that he had a sense of humour about it, which only served to endear him to me all the more :)

Warfi wrote: »
    I was eye-ing up a guy in the pub one night, and he was eye-ing me up too :). All good so far. However he was taking his time in coming over, so I pointed at my watch as if to say 'I haven't got all night mate!'.

It worked :p. You really do have to have your tongue firmly in cheek though when you do it. I was lucky in that he had a sense of humour about it, which only served to endear him to me all the more :)

What happened next ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

*spits on finger and pokes/plays with the woman a few times with the damp-saliva hung off finger*

then say (in a very cocky voice)

"lets get you out of those wet clothes, baby"

Works like a charm. Serious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I only ever use one when I'm blocked, even at that it's just for the laugh.

I prefer to woo the opposite sex with my debonair and suave nature, along with my rugged good looks :cool:

Being as cool as Horatio Cain is a serious hit as well:
    http://www.epiconeliner.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Latchy wrote: »
    What happened next ? :)

Well unfortunately it didn't end in happy ever after. Nice lad, but it just didn't work out between us. But I'll always remember his generosity in the humour department :), makes me smile every now and again

Well unfortunately it didn't end in happy ever after. Nice lad, but it just didn't work out between us. But I'll always remember his generosity in the humour department :), makes me smile every now and again
    I love your discription of the pointing at your watch .I can see it being adopted by a few if not many :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Latchy wrote: »
    From my own expierence I always found the simple ' hello , how are you ? ' or Hi , were ya from yourself ? ' with a smile approach much better than any cheesy chat up line .

The "where ya from" one is definitely the most preferred chat up line of Irish males!!!!! My american friends were highly amused at how often they were asked that.
    It's so boring and unoriginal after the 10th time. I guess it helps to break the ice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"I'll make a cup of tea and you take your bra off"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

They work if you're attractive and confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i had them a botel and say drink this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

i had them a botel and say drink this

That only makes sense if you read it out loud holding your nose.

Alessandra wrote: »
    The "where ya from" one is definitely the most preferred chat up line of Irish males!!!!! My american friends were highly amused at how often they were asked that.
    It's so boring and unoriginal after the 10th time. I guess it helps to break the ice though.
    Well I guess you are hardly likely to ask the same girl 10 times 'were ya from ? ' :pac: but I take your point .

Like with the ' were ya from yourself ? ' it's a point of reference and many will be only to happy to tell you about which is then expanded on but of course , as good an ice breaker as any .Give me that over any cheesy chat line although I do like the 'pointing at my watch ' to attract somebody of intrest method

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The cheesy ones are the best!! They need to be sooo bad they're hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I find that grabbing their a**cheeks and asking them who's the daddy works like a dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hey sugart!ts, how do you take your lickout?

Works every time. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

How much does a polar bear weigh?

Enough to break the ice :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

brummytom wrote: »
    Everyone knows at least 5 nauseating 'chat-up' lines, whether they be about angels, dreams, running, heaven or tossing a coin.

For all the merryment/vomiting they cause; do they actually work?

Lads, have you ever used one that's worked?
    Ladies, has one ever worked on you*

*Or vice-versa, but Wimminz using chat-up lines doesn't seem common

depends how good looking you are at end day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Hello should suffice or something along that line. If he/she seems any way interested in you, you won't need a chat up line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Is your dad a thief.... cause someone stole the stars and put them in your eyes

Bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Do you wanna go halvies on a bastard?

Is your dad a thief.... cause someone robbed my wallet and hes a dodgy fukker.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

ok, post re edited, Midnight obviously saw the same movie :)

but still
    I have found in my experience that "hi, whats your name ? " is 100% the way to go.

worked as recently as last night, its fool proof, where a chat up line sooooooooooo isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

spartan1 wrote: »
    how bout
    "how heavy is a polar bear ?................ heavy enough to break the ice" :)

Never used it tho

I have found in my experience that "hi, whats your name ? " is 100% the way to go.
    I...I....I....I said that 20 posts ago :pac:

• Advertisement

how bout

Never used it tho

You should compare notes with Midnight_EG...:p

how bout

Already said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

depends how good looking you are at end day

This is the truth and I see it often.

Ugly Joe goes up to girl and gives her a cheesy line and girl thinks he's Mr. sleazy weirdo.

Handsone Jim gives her practically the same line and he's Mr. funny nice guy just trying to break the ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Well unfortunately it didn't end in happy ever after. Nice lad, but it just didn't work out between us. But I'll always remember his generosity in the bedroom department :), makes me smile every now and again
    Fixed ya post:D

Hey baby, lets be friends forever, with benefits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is your father in jail? If I was your father, I would be.

Not your ornery onager

Is that a ladder in your tights? Cause if it is, wear different tights and stop being such a mess. You make me sick. I fukkin hate sluts like you.

How much does a polar bear weigh? About the same as you id say. Maybe you should give the beer and kebabs a rest for one weekend yeah? Your parent must be disgusted at what they have created. Slag.

ok, post re edited, Midnight obviously saw the same movie :)

but still

worked as recently as last night, its fool proof, where a chat up line sooooooooooo isnt
    Already said.
    How much does a polar bear weigh? About the same as you id say. Maybe you should give the beer and kebabs a rest for one weekend yeah? Your parent must be disgusted at what they have created. Slag.

That poor polar bear....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Told a girl she looked Honolulu Groovy! and it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Chat up lines don't work, the person does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I hate chat up lines, have had wimmin try them on me and they are just so kitsch. Although I must admit I once tried threw out a line and it worked. No idea why I did, just threw it out without thinking, "you wouldn't turn down a handsome guy like me?"... can't believe that worked. I felt a little embarrassed after I had said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I find "Howya honey, what's good with you? Movies or pints or what?" works well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Chat-up lines are a myth.

If she likes you and you don't say anything too mortifying, you're in. If she doesn't like you, it rarely matters what you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

If you're Johnny Depp they work. Otherwise no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement