Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Churches getting "Down with the youth"?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

No I don't mean in a 'Christian Brothers' way.

I was in a Church of England church today - Powerpoint Presentations, Upbeat songs with drums, people dancing, 'praising the Lord' - it was all a bit weird I'm honest.

During the first song, we were told "Stand up if you want.. or sit down, whatever suits you" which just seemed strange.

So what do you think of the progression of churches? D'you believe they should move along with the times to try and encourage more young people to join or believe they should stay as they are? Personally I feel the latter.

If anyone's ever been to a mass like this, what did you think of it - did you enjoy it more or was it uncomfortable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

brummytom wrote: »

I was in a Church of England church today - Powerpoint Presentations, Upbeat songs with drums, people dancing, 'praising the Lord' - it was all a bit weird I'm honest.

During the first song, we were told "Stand up if you want.. or sit down, whatever suits you" which just seemed strange.

So what do you think of the progression of churches? D'you believe they should move along with the times to try and encourage more young people to join or believe they should stay as they are? Personally I feel the latter.

If anyone's ever been to a mass like this, what did you think of it - did you enjoy it more or was it uncomfortable?

Tbh, I don't mind what you do inside those church doors.

Pray to whomever you believe in , sing along to songs, dance to the macarena etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

They would have to do a lot more than tell me I can stand or sit to get me back inside a church I'm afraid.
    I'd attend for a funeral and that's about it.

They would have to do a lot more than tell me I can stand or sit to get me back inside a church I'm afraid.
    I'd attend for a funeral and that's about it.

Oh , fine then!

*tears up wedding invitation to sharpshooter! * .

Come to think of it, wedding is the least of my thoughts.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

[generic 'aint I cool' atheist response]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was in a Church of England church today

On a weekday After Hours would have a field day with that sentence alone.

• Advertisement

DubMedic wrote: »
    Oh , fine then!

*tears up wedding invitation to sharpshooter! * .

Come to think of it, wedding is the least of my thoughts.

:pac:

Registry Office Wedding?
    / *throws DubMedic a roll of sellotape
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    On a weekday After Hours would have a field day with that sentence alone.

Fr Martin will sort everything when he arrives.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Oh I love that troll guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

advance a bit.... but not poweroint and stuff..

and definetly not the crazy catholics like in america

i think preist should be allowed to marry tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Baptists, Mormons and Scientologists (hahahahahaha!) are crazier

Mousey- wrote: »

Children can't get married.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Movie theater seats, vending machines, plasma tv screens. No more of this kneeling down nonsense, only way forward for the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If mass was a soccer team they'd be relegated long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Mousey- wrote: »

Someone might wanna tell him to stock up on the lube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Down with da yoof:confused:

I think you should stay as you are op.

stepbar wrote: »
    If mass was a soccer team they'd be relegated long ago.

Or at least kicked into touch.

/oh hold on...

Registry Office Wedding?

Fine, but i ain't q-ing.

*advantage to church = +1 ( no q-ing ). *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Martin

Sounds like the standard affair at one of my masses - usually the more heated stuff is saved for a bible slam - What wer you doing in the church of England? I hope I havnt lost one of my sheep.

Oh I am a real priest by the way - I'm going to be on nationwide next week

Or at least kicked into touch.

/oh hold on...

You Might want to leave the words 'touching' and 'church' out of the same subject :pac: .

Registry Office Wedding?

Fr Martin wrote: »

Oh I am a real priest by the way - I'm going to be on nationwide next week
    You got caught, didn't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

poor gimmick poster is poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Well, it's usually not a mass, they don't do the eucharist thing very often. I sometimes got to a CofE in Hammersmith, it's really pleasant, good singing, a great preacher (he was fomerly an investment banker in the city) and generally very uplifting for the spirit.

I don't see it as being down with the yoof, I see it as a return to first-century christianity, where the church was the people, not the buildings and the costumes.

I don't go very often though coz I'm not really a christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sh1te i could have used post no 666 for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

super-rush wrote: »
    Sh1te i could have used post no 666 for this thread.

Delete a post or two? :D

Thats what i get for being lustful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

super-rush wrote: »
    Thats what i get for being lustful.

Consolation - have a drink with your boards fantasy drinker..oh wait... that's you

Saibh wrote: »
    Consolation - have a drink with your boards fantasy drinker..oh wait... that's you

I just had a quiet word with myself:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Fr Martin wrote: »
    What wer you doing in the church of England? I hope I havnt lost one of my sheep.

I was there to point and laugh at them...
    No, it was a family christening.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

[generic 'aint I cool' atheist response]

As an atheist I find this offensive.
    We are not cool! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ruu wrote: »
    Movie theater seats, vending machines, plasma tv screens. No more of this kneeling down nonsense, only way forward for the church.
    Funnily enough, have you seen that new 'mall' type church in the States that was featured in the last programme in the BBC series 'Christianity - A History'?

It's exactly as you describe.

I was passing by the old Presbyterian church up near the Garden of Rememberence last week, and their posters outside were in txt spk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Evangelicalism is becoming more common within the Anglican Church. It's far more common in the Diocese of Sydney than it is in any other part of the worldwide church. However there are groups in Ireland and the UK (Church of England Evangelical Council) who would lean towards this kind of structure.

It might seem wierd that a traditional Protestant church is going in the same direction as Pentecostals and Evangelicals but the church has to be willing to find ways of worship that are relevant to those who are worshipping too I guess.

But to answer your question as to whether or not I've been to a service like these. Yes on several occasions. I have good friends who are Evangelicals and I've often gone along to church services with them. I didn't quite know what to expect when I was going to one for the first time but the people are very genuine and very real about their faith and they are very welcoming. Likewise IFES Ireland (Irish Fellowship of Evangelical Students - umbrella of Christian Unions at Irish universities) had a conference this year, which I attended and it was very much like this in terms of worship.

It's not usually how I worship at all, I tend to be a little bit of a traditionalist still, but I think it's a legitimate way of connecting with God. After all for Christians God and His grace are seen to be something to be celebrated. Why not be a bit jovial about it?

Advertisement