Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Land in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Hi folks, someone made a comment about where British went first, I always thought the same, if you look where large estates are to this day you will fond some of the finest land,

Imo, Carrick on suir area was good to my memory as well as west cork, county down strangford Lough veg and tillage country, but with most coastal areas quite dry and sandy in places,

Louth supposed to be great land, but I always heard Meath being the best land in Ireland, serious field sizes and soil types

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I always heard Meath being the best land in Ireland, serious field sizes and soil types

There's all sorts of land in Meath, from the best to the worst.
    East of Navan is mainly very good.
    A lot of bog around Ballivor, and Athboy.
    Some poorish land over near Ashbourne, and more bog around Carlanstown.
    Some great land around the lower Boyne valley around Slane Duleek areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I think you find this situation in every county/area....even most farms have huge variations from one end to the other
    I did read a long post somewhere before of the land was surveyed before Ireland entered Europe and most fertile areas mapped out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Was up there shooting one time, saw land I'd have rolled up, threw in the boot and brought home, and also saw pure bog bog.

Saw evidence of pretty poor farming in places too, a few places seemed intent on rabbit and thistle farming. Thistles to the extent we didn't go in them fields. They weren't piddly little fields like down my way either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I think you find this situation in every county/area....even most farms have huge variations from one end to the other

Certainly in my own county (Offaly) there is huge variation. From top of the range to the blackest of bog.
    Like you say, it's common enough, but there is great vanes of land in some areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Northern Ireland has the best land on this isle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

northern Ireland seems to be very well farmed if not the best quality. I think we all know why, the elephant in the room, I live between athboy and ballivor. my aul lad was well guilty of thistle farming and others still pass no remarks , most fields are on average 20 acres within a 5 mile radius of me. I thnk the problem is or was more so that sheep and suckler farmers could make a decent profit from feck all land management due to understocking etc and a lot worked off farm so they were happy out and land got wild, a shame really.basically guys were keeping near the same amount of stock as men in mayo,longford, rosscommoon but on 100 acres plus of great land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

I definitely wouldnt say ni land is the best , has to be Kilkenny area possibily Dublin too, very few real dry spots up north, nice land up round limavady Derry, mostly reclaimed from the Foyle,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Northern Ireland has the best land on this isle

I do most of my work with farmers in northern Ireland and I wouldn't have any area in Northern Ireland in the top 3 areas on ths island.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭neutralvu

I do most of my work with farmers in northern Ireland and I wouldn't have any area in Northern Ireland in the top 3 areas on ths island.

What are ur top 3? Very good discussoon going now on this thread, esp with the elephant in the room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

My grandfather used to say that thistles only grow in good land!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

6600 wrote: »
    My grandfather used to say that thistles only grow in good land!

Yes the bigger the thistle that will grow the better the land.

Heard a story of a Cork farmers son named John that was being matched to the only daughter of a Limerick farmer. John after visiting the girl told the father that there was only thistle's on the land. His father enquired as to how big they were.

John replied that you could ''tie a horse to the thistle's'', whereupon he was told to marry the girl.

Ha I used to hear stories like that. There's lots of thistles in Waterford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I think the best land in the country has all been built on.Livestock were kept in cities up until and including the first half of the last century.The manure they produced was spread on the land within a horses draw of the cities for hunddreds of years and so the soil benefitted from this conditioning

Agreed, the land around Stillorgan and UCD must have been savage stuff. In fact all the suburbs must have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Was reared on a farm in Clondalkin.The land was suitable for anything from dairying to vegetables.Very early land too.Live on kildare meath border now and the land is three to four weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Was up there shooting one time, saw land I'd have rolled up, threw in the boot and brought home, and also saw pure bog bog.

Saw evidence of pretty poor farming in places too, a few places seemed intent on rabbit and thistle farming. Thistles to the extent we didn't go in them fields. They weren't piddly little fields like down my way either.

If I knew you were on my land I'd have asked you in for tea Con! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

6600 wrote: »
    Ha I used to hear stories like that. There's lots of thistles in Waterford!

Heard of a guy going to buy a farm in Meath, got to the gate & saw a large oak tree. Didn't go any further, bought it. When asked, oak trees only grow on good land, as they need good ground to hold them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

neutralvu wrote: »
    What are ur top 3? Very good discussoon going now on this thread, esp with the elephant in the room!

Louth meath border area. Large area of kilkenny. East cork. But this all depends on a persons parameters used for identifying "best land"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 marc_faber

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Was reared on a farm in Clondalkin.The land was suitable for anything from dairying to vegetables.Very early land too.Live on kildare meath border now and the land is three to four weeks later.

south east dublin has poor land , dublin - wicklow mountains area so i dont know if around UCD would be that fantastic

south west dublin around rathcoole etc is pure gold but the best of all is around north dublin , naul , swords etc , possibly the best land in all of ireland , most of it is developed now of course

county louth is very small but bar around hackballs cross , the land is almost universally good , percentage wise , its better than meath and considerably drier , meath land is very fertile but much of it is quite heavy , its great for potatoes but it wouldnt be my choice for milking cows

that would be around durrow in laois or much of kilkenny , a large chunk of cork as well where the land is free draining , some counties have a reputation for land which itself sustains high prices , meath was where the anglo gentry often lived so with all those estates , grew the reputation for unrivalled land , its largely untrue without in anyway deriding the royal county

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 marc_faber

Hi folks, someone made a comment about where British went first, I always thought the same, if you look where large estates are to this day you will fond some of the finest land,

Imo, Carrick on suir area was good to my memory as well as west cork, county down strangford Lough veg and tillage country, but with most coastal areas quite dry and sandy in places,

Louth supposed to be great land, but I always heard Meath being the best land in Ireland, serious field sizes and soil types

the british were always going to chose land close to a main port so slap bang in the middle of the country was out , the pale was the obvious choice , near the capital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Louth meath border area. Large area of kilkenny. East cork. But this all depends on a persons parameters used for identifying "best land"
    Agree.
    I knew of "market gardeners" around Rush, Lusk and Skerries making more money per acre on small areas of land than large dairy/beef enterprises were making.

If I knew you were on my land I'd have asked you in for tea Con! :D

We were pulling up to one field and I asked the lads where would I park? Oh just pull up onto the verge they said :eek: If you did that down my way you'd either sink or be beached up on a rock :pac: Got revenge in first by sending one of them out on some quaking bog to find a fox down here, never saw a face with less blood in it coming off it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Base price wrote: »
    Agree.
    I knew of "market gardeners" around Rush, Lusk and Skerries making more money per acre on small areas of land than large dairy/beef enterprises were making.
    that is the best land in the country, sure look on google maps behind the main street in rush, all the topsoil/sand that was removed about ten years ago for building but nothing was build was all leveled out in the last few years to bring in back to agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 liamv90

hard to beat a winterage in the burren co clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

The golden vale in tipp,, areas like golden, cashel, and new inn,, im working out there now and alot of big tillage and dairy farms around, since I started in early february ground has been able to handle 3000 gallon slurry tanks without damage except a bit around the gaps, granted i havnt seen alot of the areas ye have been talking about but is certanly the best that ive seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

A lot is down to the way its mantained. theres land in every county thats a credit to the lads farming it. the best ground in the country is the bit that makes you happy and hopefully a few quid. Like everything in life its just maybe suited to different things, whether that be views, dairying or even forestry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

liamv90 wrote: »

for hardship???:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

liamv90 wrote: »

A god forsaken place, Did you never hear what Cromwell said about it :(

• Advertisement

for hardship???:pac:

Hah, the Burren isn't hardship, if you want to see that I can show you plenty :D

Advertisement