Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

court marshal???

Options
  • 22-04-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

how do they work in the defence forces?? im curious as their has been alot off them going on in the last few years.....what does it consist off and what are the benefits or not the benefits??? never envovled in 1 or dont want to be just intrested

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

No idea how they work in PDF but it is Court Martial not Court Marshal.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Was always told its was "courts"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Courts martial is the plural of court martial.

You go in front of a panel of officers. You may have an officer who has legal training defend you. The evidence is presented similar to a civil court and cross examinations may occur. The panel considers all the evidence and testimonies and pleadings, including possible pleas for mercy and pronounces.

In the case of a guilty finding the court may award a punishment of pretty much anything up to the maximum allowed.

For example, desertion could be punishable by death (:eek:) during wartime, but might only be a severe reprimand in other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Courts martial is the plural of court martial.

You go in front of a panel of officers. You may have an officer who has legal training defend you. The evidence is presented similar to a civil court and cross examinations may occur. The panel considers all the evidence and testimonies and pleadings, including possible pleas for mercy and pronounces.

In the case of a guilty finding the court may award a punishment of pretty much anything up to the maximum allowed.

For example, desertion could be punishable by death (:eek:) during wartime, but might only be a severe reprimand in other times.

Think I see. If I have a list of Army trials say for the Connaught Rangers, it is not a list of court martials I have for them but a list of courts martial. Wow imagine teaching that one to a grammar class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

time lord wrote: »
    Think I see. If I have a list of Army trials say for the Connaught Rangers, it is not a list of court martials I have for them but a list of courts martial. Wow imagine teaching that one to a grammar class :D

No its still a list of trials. The term court(s) martial does not refer to a legal procedure (ie: a trial). Court martial is a collective term for a group of military personnel convened by a superior for the purpose of conducting a trial under military law. A member of a court martial could be a Judge, Prosecuting Officer, Defending Officer or Jury Member.

Courts Martial is more than one of these groups. For instance an officer might say: 'Over the course my career i have been appointed to three courts martial' or 'I see there are two seperate courts martial convened for the trials next week'

• Advertisement
Advertisement