Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Feels like a coming of AaaaaAaaaaAge.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I really wish that they update the playlist on a weekly basis. It's more than boring hearing that awful Jimi Goodwin song, The Minutes, Pixies, etc in every show. BBC Radio 1 update and publish its playlist each week, why can't TXFM?

They also keep playing Django Django - Default & Jake Bugg - Lightning Bolt for some reason.

Also, has anyone heard that TX Shuffle show on a Sunday? The point of it is, it's in the name, to shuffle up the songs, yet it was full of playlisted songs last Sunday? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I thought 'Lightning Bolt' was a Buddy Holly song. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I thought 'Lightning Bolt' was a Buddy Holly song. :D

Nah...its a Pearl Jam album........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Signal to noise ratio is drifting to noise on the breakfast show.
    Banter levels rising and music levels dropping. Whatever your criticisms of the choices of music at least it was music rather than "Whats the best thing about your home town? Text us at...".

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

That's some quality trolling. I wonder if anyone will bite

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Bar the continuation of usual playlisted ****e we saw during the phantom days, I've been relatively happy with it so far. Better mix of music during the day I think. Joe Donnelly is FAR better by himself now then he was in the mornings. Miss the Richies a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Joe Donnelly is truly awful. He is so far out of his depth it's unreal, he has his finger on a dead man's pulse.

"What's your favourite afternoon quiz show? Text TXFM"

"How did I miss Dublin's burrito craze? Text TXFM"

"What's your favourite colour? Text TXFM"

"Here's a new band (proceeds to read Wikipedia entry for said band, usually well known band in the alternative sphere). Really like them"

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Birneybau wrote: »
    Joe Donnelly is truly awful. He is so far out of his depth it's unreal, he has his finger on a dead man's pulse.

"What's your favourite afternoon quiz show? Text TXFM"

"How did I miss Dublin's burrito craze? Text TXFM"

"What's your favourite colour? Text TXFM"

"Here's a new band (proceeds to read Wikipedia entry for said band, usually well known band in the alternative sphere). Really like them"

Careful now, old Joe gets a bit tetchy when listeners dare to post unfavourable comments about his show/ broadcasting style on the internet. That sort of thing is 'trolling' in his eyes.
    I often saw/ heard him go the full Partridge on Twitter with tweets he didn't like from punters, live on the air no less, during his stint on the Breakfast Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler78

@Liam92 totally agree re the sport show on Saturday. I don't often listen as wouldn't be driving all that much on Saturdays, but I had heard Stadium Rock plenty of times and it was pretty decent. Heard the 2 Dubs on Saturday and thought I'd accidentally tuned to some local community radio station in Ballyfermot. Dreadfully amateurish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

That's some quality trolling. I wonder if anyone will bite

John Caddell sure did - he or one of the TXFM mods deleted the comment!

Wow, very heavyhanded behaviour for pointing out some facts. Obviously facts they don't want aired.

John Caddell .

Talk of the devil...;)........just been listening to his show while workin on the bike....he did play some crackin tunes, had me singin along to The The and The Beat.....pity the daytime crew arent allowed to play a variety...now where did I complain about that before....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Been listening to it a good bit over the last few weeks and early concerns aside, it's been good - a marked improvement on Phantom as it was in the last year. Joe Donnelly just isn't going to go away though is he? He's just terrible and there's a big hole in the middle of the day where I just can listen to TXFM.

Been listening to it a good bit over the last few weeks and early concerns aside, it's been good - a marked improvement on Phantom as it was in the last year. Joe Donnelly just isn't going to go away though is he? He's just terrible and there's a big hole in the middle of the day where I just can listen to TXFM.

Why do you dislike him so much..???..just curious....:)

Why do you dislike him so much..???..just curious....:)

Because he is truly awful. That's why those of us that dislike him really fcuking dislike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

John Caddell sure did - he or one of the TXFM mods deleted the comment!

Wow, very heavyhanded behaviour for pointing out some facts. Obviously facts they don't want aired.

What was it?
    Would like if someone would pm me the comment if remembered!

Had a brief listen over the past week or so.
    Mornings is ok with John... think we all agree it's better than you-know-who.
    Evening time with Kelly Ann Byrne is alright, although some odd choices thrown in that I'm sure she wouldnt normally play. Was never going to replace the fantastic Ritchie & Ritchie.
    And speaking of... I never realised how much I loved Stadium Rock! Ritchie Ryan was simply brilliant, and all the little touches around it, along with the great music.
    One more thing... is it just me, or is that 'Rocstrong' song being played every hour now?
    The 2 Ritchies started playing it and gave it the time it needed, but it seems to be on every time I tune in!
    They are giving that Coldplay tune way too much airplay also...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Don't forget Ray Lamontage, his new song is constantly on in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Yeah, that Supernova song is on all the bloody time. I wouldn't mind, but, as far as choruses go, it's as weak as Foook! Just drones.......(like me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

whiskeyman wrote: »
    What was it?
    Would like if someone would pm me the comment if remembered!

Had a brief listen over the past week or so.
    Mornings is ok with John... think we all agree it's better than you-know-who.
    Evening time with Kelly Ann Byrne is alright,...

The morning presenter is Cathal Funge. If you are thinking of John Caddell, he is on once a week on Sunday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The morning presenter is Cathal Funge. If you are thinking of John Caddell, he is on once a week on Sunday evenings.

ah, my bad. typo there.

Played both Coldplay and Rocstrong within an hour of each other this morning.
    I think they read this thread... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

The music choices are still too tame to be taken seriously.

It feels like absolutely zero chances are taken on new music.

American Authors? Sit on it. That song wants to be soundtracked in the closing credits of a coming-of-age story so badly it spends it's spare time trying to unhook a bra, plan a killer road trip, and drink hard booze without puking.

COLDPLAY?! Ok. Look. Listen. Linda, honey, listen. Perhaps there was a time when Yellow was ironically acceptable once a week, but to 'A list' new Coldplay is a move unforgivable. Is the broadcast tower now directly in the middle of the road, or would that be considered too dangerous?

RAGY LAGMOGTAGNGE? This is a joke, right? This has to be a joke... right?

It sounds like the station is being playlisted by a young couple in love throwing their first house party. One picks 8 duds in a row and the other plays a "classic" to get everyone back on track. Then another 3 or 4 decent, but moderately safe picks, then a B-52's track, maybe some LCD, Nirvana, cuz hey, that's what the kids want before the one with taste has to take a piss and liberties are taken. GAK.

This effort makes Keith Walsh sound like Wolfman Jack.

My biggest gripe is that the Richies are no more. Their show was the single greatest programming decision the station made, imo. I was constantly hearing new music, under the radar jewels, forgotten classics and gems from the spectrum.

The new Stadium Rock is fairly woeful, altogether. It's bus stop radio.

Why don't they let Kelly Anne spin on decks like she does in town, like, oh I dunno, EVERY FRIGGIN WEEK?!?!

How is this my new music source?

If anyone says POGO is good they are welcome to hop in my time machine, go back to Ibiza in '96 and enjoy a free slap.

This is just my opinion of one aspect of the station. Feel free to disagree. You can also say that I need a slap. Fair is fair.

SLAP............:p

And whats this obsession with the Avalanches "Frontier psychhiatrist".....that station needs therapy....

I swear to god it gets worse. Joe sneering at people going to gigs on their own, saying do the security guys not find them weird, think he was surprised at the reaction he got.

I imagine Caddell, McCormack et al have been to gigs on their own. I wish they still had actual music fans as djs.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I swear to god it gets worse. Joe sneering at people going to gigs on their own, saying do the security guys not find them weird, think he was surprised at the reaction he got.

I imagine Caddell, McCormack et al have been to gigs on their own. I wish they still had actual music fans as djs.

I've been reluctant to comment on him too much up to this point because I've been willing him on to improve - he seems like a decent enough guy - but God, it's like the radio equivalent of dad dancing at a wedding listening to him sometimes. It's just not working for me. He's not at the races at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

And I would 100% go to a gig on my own. Haven't done it purely because a lot of my friends are into the same music as I am, but I would be happy to go by myself to see something/someone I'm interested in if nobody else wanted to go.

Twizzler wrote: »
    And I would 100% go to a gig on my own. Haven't done it purely because a lot of my friends are into the same music as I am, but I would be happy to go by myself to see something/someone I'm interested in if nobody else wanted to go.

Some guy came on talking about a "group" of billy-no-mates that go to events on their own as a group..:confused:.......i'm wonderin are these the same wan*ers that stand around drinking and talking all the way through a gig, until they hear a song they know.....:rolleyes:

Was the Caddell comment that was taken down a personal attack?

If so, then I understand why it was deleted but if not then I wonder what warrants such a tetchy, hypersensitive manoeuvre?

I didn't see the comment, just the reactions.

But Caddell doesn't strike me as the type to shirk away from a chance to show he NOVA's, sorry, KNOWS more about music and is thusly justified in his selections. I would have thought it more likely for him to respond to a jab than delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭HeyArnold320

I think the station has got worse regarding the same songs being played over and over. Cathal is ok in the mornings I think.
    It's hard to know what to make of it all together. There was an hour of hip hop the other night. I know they are trying to appeal to a broader audience but I didn't expect that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

BrushyMan wrote: »
    Was the Caddell comment that was taken down a personal attack?

If so, then I understand why it was deleted but if not then I wonder what warrants such a tetchy, hypersensitive manoeuvre?

I didn't see the comment, just the reactions.

But Caddell doesn't strike me as the type to shirk away from a chance to show he NOVA's, sorry, KNOWS more about music and is thusly justified in his selections. I would have thought it more likely for him to respond to a jab than delete it.

Yeah it was a personal attack and completely off the wall at that. I can't imagine John Caddell even saw it, let alone demanded it be removed, but there is a charter for this forum (like every other one) and it was way out of line.
    I did get a laugh out of the notion of "TXFM mods" policing the internet, they barely have the budget to employ DJs... but it shows you the level of poster you're dealing with.

• Advertisement

Ah come on, Cathal's sound. I prefer his dulcet tones and even temperament taking over where Joe & Keith left off.

I was not a fan of that show, but I'm sure some were.

Pause for a second and think about all the slagging Joe gets. He's not my cuppa tea, mostly for the dad act and text requests but he's not the worst. He at least makes his points clearly, without em-ing and ah-ing and rarely flubs the controls. Fair enough if you don't like his style, I rarely do, but I think he gets an awful time of it.

And did you consider that he was brought in by Keith, by all accounts (correct me if I'm wrong), they caught ****, for what I thought was a bad show, from the word go, and then Joe was ditched by Keith moments before the kak hit the fan. Why isn't Keith the villain of that piece?

But surely the item that should get the biggest cries of outrage from listeners are the LACK OF RICHIE MC and RICHIE RYAN !!!

Aside from the once-a-week stalwarts of Metal Notes, Spiral Stares & Friday Weekender Will weren't they the only 2 'full time 'on airs' that got the boot?

I'd happily listen to the Richies do both their show AND a co-hosted STADIUM ROCK on ANY station. Am I the only one who remembers the Northern Soul Special? That was some mighty fine radio.

Once I figure out how to get BBC 6 int he car without getting a mahoosive roaming bill I'll never listen again. Fact. Ooh, what if the Richies got picked up by 6? My god that would be too good for words. Not good enough to be kept on in TXFM but good enough for the best station on the planet. For the lulz, can we do this?

Advertisement