Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Well in Quilty, Co Clare?

Options
  • 22-03-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anybody have any information on a Holy Well in Quilty known as 'Tobernahallia', which I have worked out translates as 'Well of the Cliff'. It is/was located on the coast below where the N67 turns north-east along the coast.

Anybody got any info about it/traditions associated with it, etc?

Thanks a million!

Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I asked a lad here at work. He says there is a holy well in Tromora, which is west of Quilty. It's called Naomh Eoin and supposedly had been known as a cure for eyes years ago. It's not far from Jim Dalys pub. It's on a commonage piece of ground and is probably overgrown now. There is also a childrens graveyard beside it he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

finbarrk wrote: »
    I asked a lad here at work. He says there is a holy well in Tromora, which is west of Quilty. It's called Naomh Eoin and supposedly had been known as a cure for eyes years ago. It's not far from Jim Dalys pub. It's on a commonage piece of ground and is probably overgrown now. There is also a childrens graveyard beside it he says.

I looked it up on a map and it appears to be in the village

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

The online OSI maps show 2 wells in West Tromora, if you put on the historic layers and mark 'well' in the legend.

This is the one I found

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nono2012

I know where there is a well up there but I'm not sure if its the same one.. Its hidden in off the road and has a shrine and a walking around area there, it really is beautiful..

As you pass through Quilty village going to Miltown there is a right turn on the bend on the main road before the Bellbridge Hotel (its just before the bridge, the Bellbridge Hotel is after the bridge)...

When you go in that road you'll pass an Electricity Supply area on your right and it is after this on the right, it has a white wall.. I wonder is this the one you are looking for? :o

• Advertisement

nono2012 wrote: »
    I know where there is a well up there but I'm not sure if its the same one.. Its hidden in off the road and has a shrine and a walking around area there, it really is beautiful..

As you pass through Quilty village going to Miltown there is a right turn on the bend on the main road before the Bellbridge Hotel (its just before the bridge, the Bellbridge Hotel is after the bridge)...

When you go in that road you'll pass an Electricity Supply area on your right and it is after this on the right, it has a white wall.. I wonder is this the one you are looking for? :o

No, that's St. Joseph's Well I think. It's really nice and peaceful there

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nono2012

Ah right, I wasn't sure of the name, Oh it's a beautiful place to visit :)

nono2012 wrote: »
    Ah right, I wasn't sure of the name, Oh it's a beautiful place to visit :)

I probably have the wrong name for it though.

Edit: Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

That's interesting,my family have a holiday home in quilty for over 30years,which backs on to a cliff! i have use of it every once in a while,i must go check it out next time :)

That's interesting,my family have a holiday home in quilty for over 30years,which backs on to a cliff! i have use of it every once in a while,i must go check it out next time :)

From the map the well appears to be across from the Quilty Tavern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Which would mean it gets full of seawater every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

There's an old well, now covered over, opposite the caravan park beside the church.

Advertisement