Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Self-Monitoring Alarm & Installer

Options
  • 19-04-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I've just bought my first house, and I'd like to get a good alarm fitted: one that can send SMS messages if it's triggered, so that I can alert the Gardai.

I know very little about what's available, and maybe something better than what I describe above is out there. I'd like something like the Phone-Watch alarms, but monitored by me rather than a company that you have to pay a monthly subscription to.

The house is just an ordinary, terraced three bedroom one. I'm getting it re-wired first, and the electrician said he'd wire it for an alarm as part of the re-wire. Is there anything extra I should ensure he does?

Also, if people could recommend good self-monitoring alarms, and also good people to install those alarms too, then that would be great. I understrand that HKC alarms are good.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi
    Most systems can handle SMS alerts at some level. However if you are expecting Garda response when you ring them to say you have got a text from your alarm, you are going to be very disappointed. It doesn't work that way.
    Even with central station monitoring you would be needing confirmed alarm signals for that.
    For notification most systems now also use apps. For this I'd recommend Siemens SPC range,GSD i70 or Risco Agility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gr8golfweather

You might like to try an alternative monitoring alarm company. I needed this for my insurance, found a firm in Kildare who was recommended by the alarm installer. Costs c.€160 per year, a big saving on Phonewatch who charge €290. If you want the name, you can PM me

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

You might like to try an alternative monitoring alarm company. I needed this for my insurance, found a firm in Kildare who was recommended by the alarm installer. Costs c.€160 per year, a big saving on Phonewatch who charge €290. If you want the name, you can PM me

Cheers

Thanks for that... I've sent a PM.

Do you know if I can get one of those self monitoring alarms that the other poster recommended (e.g. Siemens SPC), get that company to monitor it for a while, and then if I don't want that monitoring, cancel it and monitor it myself (like through Apps, SMS messages, and the alarm phoning certain numbers and then leaving a voice message?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I just moved into the house a month ago, and already I've noticed that someone tried to prise open the front door with a screwdriver or something like that. :eek:

I'm going to try to get an alarm in ASAP (need to re-wire the house first), and I'm looking at getting two IP Cameras from Deal Extreme: one overlooking the front, and the other the back.

If anyone has advise on IP cameras I'd be eager to hear. My vision is having them sitting behind the bedroom windows (front and back) pointing down onto the front and back garden, and sending streaming video if they're motion activated. Am I watching too much Sci-Fi? :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for that... I've sent a PM.

Do you know if I can get one of those self monitoring alarms that the other poster recommended (e.g. Siemens SPC), get that company to monitor it for a while, and then if I don't want that monitoring, cancel it and monitor it myself (like through Apps, SMS messages, and the alarm phoning certain numbers and then leaving a voice message?

Most systems would allow you to switch from ARC monitoring to self monitoring easily.
    Using an SPC PSTN dialler you can also use the same unit to send texts from an Eircom land line. Others like Visonic, GSD and Risco will allow you to send voice notifications using the same dialler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

I've just bought my first house, and I'd like to get a good alarm fitted: one that can send SMS messages if it's triggered, so that I can alert the Gardai.

I know very little about what's available, and maybe something better than what I describe above is out there. I'd like something like the Phone-Watch alarms, but monitored by me rather than a company that you have to pay a monthly subscription to.

The house is just an ordinary, terraced three bedroom one. I'm getting it re-wired first, and the electrician said he'd wire it for an alarm as part of the re-wire. Is there anything extra I should ensure he does?

Also, if people could recommend good self-monitoring alarms, and also good people to install those alarms too, then that would be great. I understrand that HKC alarms are good.
    Hkc Sw1070 with gsm-q is a good solid alarm. Best thing about it is that years down the road when something goes wrong it's so common that you will never have trouble finding someone to repair it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭grip n rip

Firstly insurance companies wont give a discount for alarms that text your mobile , the thing to do is get it monitored by somebody like top security in cork (€150+vat) and have it text your phone also .

No doubt the best system by a country mile is the hkc hybrid 1070 . It has 10 wired zones & you can add up to 80 wireless .

Check the psa website for accredited companies in your area .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

grip n rip wrote: »
    Firstly insurance companies wont give a discount for alarms that text your mobile

The insurance company will give a discount if the system is stand alone or texts your mobile. If you have the system monitored by a monitoring station you will get a bigger discount.

The discount they offer for a serviced system to today's standard is not worth it in my opinion.

altor wrote: »
    The insurance company will give a discount if the system is stand alone or texts your mobile. If you have the system monitored by a monitoring station you will get a bigger discount.

The discount they offer for a serviced system to today's standard is not worth it in my opinion.

Time was your discount could be up to 15% but these days it usually 7-10% .

Time was your discount could be up to 15% but these days it usually 7-10% .

That is why its not worth it in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Cheers

Hi, could you PM me details also please, moving into a new house soon and wife insists on a monitored alarm.

Thanks

Hi, could you PM me details also please, moving into a new house soon and wife insists on a monitored alarm.

Thanks

Your wife is right too :)
    Try top security - €150 plus vat per year (vat approx€33) less than half price than phonewatch for what i consider a better service .

Cheers for that

Your wife is right too :)
    Try top security - €150 plus vat per year (vat approx€33) less than half price than phonewatch for what i consider a better service .

If you want your system put through to Top Security you will need a licensed installer to do this for you. Top don't do this themselves, all they do is monitor the alarm system for you.

altor wrote: »
    If you want your system put through to Top Security you will need a licensed installer to do this for you. Top don't do this themselves, all they do is monitor the alarm system for you.

And rightly so too !

And rightly so too !

Yes indeed :-)

There is a standard alarm already installed,what would need to be done for us to go with Top Security

There is a standard alarm already installed,what would need to be done for us to go with Top Security

You need to contact a local installer in your area and get them to set the system up to contact Top. All Top do is monitor the system for you. You also need a maintenance contract in place with the alarm company you use.

Cheers Altor, Just another question

Would this be expensive budget is getting tighter

Cheers Altor, Just another question

Would this be expensive budget is getting tighter

Shop around would be my advice. P.W have gone crazy with pricing since being taking over. The amount of systems I am taking over because of this is good for me and others so long may it last :) You just have to see whats included in any maintenance contract you are offered, callouts, repairs. Just dont go into anything blindly ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement