Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Value Race

• 17-04-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭

What do people find has been the best value race they've run? The reason I post this is that last Sunday I ran a well-organised Half Marathon in Denia, Alicante for which I'd paid the royal sum of 10 euros. 10!!!! As well as a fine race with closed and marshalled roads and a few water stations, we got a tech top and a few bites and drinks in a bag afterwards.

Incredible value to be fair. So much so that if anyone is heading to this part of the world at Easter time in years to come, it's one to keep in mind. Flat, around the port area and there's a quarter marathon (!) for anyone looking to take it short.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

15 Euro for that K-club banquet was pretty good, apparently there was a race as well.

Also, the race series is excellent value, last year I did the 10 mile and half marathon for €35. That included 2 T-shirts as well. This year there are also free gifts included and the races are very well organised.

They would be my nominations.

Of course there is always the parkrun races, doesn't get much better value than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's a tricky one as how do you value these things?

There is a very cheap, £2, set of races locally that are just a couple of miles and then loads of Jaffa Cakes afterwards and because the numbers are so low almost everyone ends up getting a medal. Works out at about a quid per mile of racing, they are good fun and very relaxed.

But London for £27 is also a quid per mile raced, but you get a huge amount more of everything, more crowds and all the good stuff that goes with that, but also more runners and all the bad stuff that goes with that such as having to run the long way round a crowded course and try not to trip over anyone.

Then slightly less extreme ends of the value scale you have the BHAA races for a handful of € but more cake than you can shake a stick at and none of the tshirts or godybag nonsense that you don't really need, or one of the race series events where you do get the goody bag and a new addition to your tech tshirt collection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

adrian522 wrote: »
    Of course there is always the parkrun races, doesn't get much better value than that.

It's not a race.

But you can always ask for your money back if you don't like parkrun. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Maybe not a race, but incredible value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Can't beat the Galway 5k series for value, 6 measured & timed 5k races, sum total of €30, water after each event, and a tech t-shirt if you do 4 of them (or 3 + volunteering at another).

The only problem is getting your hands on a place on the day it goes on sale, tougher than a ticket to Garth Brooks in Croker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

BHAA series in Cork is €5 per race, great value as all races sponsored by a business to cover a lot of the costs and prizes

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Fit4life series are always good value at a fiver, with nifty little prizes across all categories

Clownishly good at the sharp end, accessible for juveniles and welcoming for all age groups and abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

adrian522 wrote: »
    15 Euro for that K-club banquet was pretty good, apparently there was a race as well.

Also, the race series is excellent value, last year I did the 10 mile and half marathon for €35. That included 2 T-shirts as well. This year there are also free gifts included and the races are very well organised.

They would be my nominations.

Mate of mine paid €25 for this race but he ate about €30 of food after :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Seville Marathon for me. City Marathon bronze label IAAF race, water in bottles for the first half thereafter cups every 2.5K. Fruit and coloured sugar as well. Shorts and tech top as well as a decent goodie bag. Decent pasta party before and after.
    Free beer at the end of the race !!!

All in for €30 but was €20 for the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

ger664 wrote: »
    Seville Marathon for me. City Marathon bronze label IAAF race, water in bottles for the first half thereafter cups every 2.5K. Fruit and coloured sugar as well. Shorts and tech top as well as a decent goodie bag. Decent pasta party before and after.
    Free beer at the end of the race !!!

All in for €30 but was €20 for the locals.

Agree with this. Outside of everything Ger has already mentioned, it's a fantastically supported race in a beautiful city. What more could can you expect for €30? That's actually an increase on the €20 it was in 2011 though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Outside of everything Ger has already mentioned, it's a fantastically supported race in a beautiful city. What more could can you expect for €30? That's actually an increase on the €20 it was in 2011 though!

The Spanish are good in the value stakes evidently!

With all due respect to 5k races, I was thinking more Half Marathons and Fulls and the likes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The likes of east of Ireland marathons work out at around 20euro, ok you won't get the crowds but thats pretty good value for a marathon.

Can do a 100km in Galway for 45e, thats decent value

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Lord mayor series in Raheny is great value, think London Marathon was great value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

morceli wrote: »
    Lord mayor series in Raheny is great value, think London Marathon was great value too.

I've never run London, but £27-30 for a major in such a great city does seem unbelievably good alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

again this shows the costs that race organisers face in this country when they try to stage big events that for safety and logistic reasons require a road closure
    I suspect in Spain and other countries they get road closure and supply of Police force for free.
    Here its considered extra revenue for the local council/Garda to supply same road closures along with good knows whatever HSA requirement thats needed like crowd control barriers etc. We are really not comparing like with like.
    Given that all those lovely Councillor's are knocking on our doors seeking re-election it might be a question to fire across to them.

Advertisement