Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Further Education (Teaching Adults)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭clau22

Hey,

Yes I attended today and found it very informative. Looking forward to just starting now, feel as if I know all there is to know about the course!

Still waiting to hear back from the centre I applied to, I'm glad I now know that the 2nd placement doesn't have to be got straight away.

Will definitely attend the induction week as that will be very important and beneficial. The tips the current students gave were invaluable, their experiences before and since the course were good to hear. I definitely looking forward to the 'journey' and how this course will give me confidence and competence to teach and to be more positive and participate in assessments.

Hi

I have secured one placement, thankfully! I'm thinking I might leave the 2nd placement till the department knows which one I have so that I won't choose a centre that is similar. Also, you wouldn't be starting the 2nd placement until after Christmas.

Have you seured your two placements?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Morning,
    Well done, it's a relief to get it sorted. I have the first placement also and just have to provide hours for the second one to see if they can accommodate me. Sure we are well on our way! Hope the reading list is posted soon, am dying to get started.

Thank you! And well done to you also! Great to have it sorted at this early stage.
    Yes, hopefully they will post up something soon, would be great to get ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Is there a part time option available for this course? What is the full time commitment? I know some places say full time, but students are only in for 1 or 2 days

• Advertisement

Hi

The course is full-time. Mon 6-9.30pm, Tue 9-5pm. You have to do teaching practice totalling 100hrs, so 50 hours semester 1, 50 hours semester 2.

clau22 wrote: »
    Hi

The course is full-time. Mon 6-9.30pm, Tue 9-5pm. You have to do teaching practice totalling 100hrs, so 50 hours semester 1, 50 hours semester 2.

Hi

Thanks for that, so it's one evening and one full day? How much does it cost?

I don't know off hand but if you check out the NUIM website you should find the details there.

Yes one evening per week and a full day Tues.

Does anyone have any feedback or experience of the PG Dip in Learning and Teaching, with a further ed element, run by the National College of Ireland?

Is it accredited by the teachers council?

What is the quality of the course?

How is it viewed by potential employers?

Hi @louliewan,

We won't feel it till we are back in the swing of things, it'll feel like we never left! ;-)

Regarding my second placement, I have to ring the manager in early December to arrange to meet up where she will show me around the centre and I've to bring my CV, insurance forms and Garda Vetting form, so it's still not 100% guaranteed but do you think I should notify the Dept. about this? I was thinking of sending Michael an email just to let him know my progress to date.
    The manager of this centre did say she takes on 8-10 student teachers during the year and as she knows I won't be starting until early 2015 she obviously didn't feel the need to see me so early on. I will ring her even in Nov just so that she won't have forgotten me and the earlier I get to meet her the better the chance of securing the placement.
    I am happy enough to keep in with this centre and if I don't secure it I can look elsewhere then as I still will have a few months before the 2nd placements commence.
    I hope you got the green light with your second placement? :-)

• Advertisement

Hi @louliewan,

We won't feel it till we are back in the swing of things, it'll feel like we never left! ;-)

Regarding my second placement, I have to ring the manager in early December to arrange to meet up where she will show me around the centre and I've to bring my CV, insurance forms and Garda Vetting form, so it's still not 100% guaranteed but do you think I should notify the Dept. about this? I was thinking of sending Michael an email just to let him know my progress to date.
    The manager of this centre did say she takes on 8-10 student teachers during the year and as she knows I won't be starting until early 2015 she obviously didn't feel the need to see me so early on. I will ring her even in Nov just so that she won't have forgotten me and the earlier I get to meet her the better the chance of securing the placement.
    I am happy enough to keep in with this centre and if I don't secure it I can look elsewhere then as I still will have a few months before the 2nd placements commence.
    I hope you got the green light with your second placement? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Hi Clau22,
    It can't come quick enough for me,.
    I would keep the department up to date with your situation just so they can offer another option if needs be. My second placement is not entirely sorted yet either as the school want to set up night courses and wanted me to help with these. It will be the first time they've done this so they have to finalise some details before they get back to me.
    i enquired about a reading list and got a mail from Rose to say we would have it soon.

Yes, I thought myself that I should let the Dept. know at what stage I'm at re placements as they did say at the last info session to try and get the 2 placements before commencing the course. I was in contact with a student who has completed this course and I asked her what should I do re notifying the Dept. and she said I didn't need to notify them and that a lot of students hadn't got their 2nd placements and that she hadn't got hers for ages either!

I just felt myself that I'd like to let them know just in case there were any issues etc. Would it be best to email Michael as he is the director or would it be ok to send it to Rose?

I asked the student who has done the course about books and she said we didn't need to buy any so do you think the reading list will be posted on Moodle and relevant chapters put up?

It will be good to get started on the reading list soon enough just to be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Teapot30

Hi everyone, sorry to bump an old thread im applying to the hdip course in Maynooth this year and im just wondering how everyone got on with it? was the course worth it? was the qualification beneficial to you? how did you find the course and tutors in general? and did anyone find employment after the course? ive heard its very difficult to find a job in further education teaching so im not sure if im making the right move.

Thanks

x

Advertisement