Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Social Work Interview 2014 Mature Student

Options
  • 07-04-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

Wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me please!!???

I have just received an email to say that I have been invited to attend an interview for the Social Studies/Social Work course and I have no idea as to what kind of questions they ask, is there anyone that can give me any information on this?

I would appreciate it loads if you could.

Thanks a million,

Clo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Some good information on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057169115

Did you get the email to your usual email address of through MY.TCD.IE?
    How much notice did they give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clo14

Moomat wrote: »
    Some good information on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057169115

Did you get the email to your usual email address of through MY.TCD.IE?
    How much notice did they give you?

Hi Moomat,

Thanks for this will have a good read through it later tonight, hope it's up to date so that I will be well prepared for it.

Got the notification through my own email, haven't actually checked what info my tcd provided me. Two weeks notice!!! Very nervous now I must say, really want it!!! Have you applied?

Clo14 wrote: »
    Hi Moomat,

Thanks for this will have a good read through it later tonight, hope it's up to date so that I will be well prepared for it.

Got the notification through my own email, haven't actually checked what info my tcd provided me. Two weeks notice!!! Very nervous now I must say, really want it!!! Have you applied?

Yes applied for 3 courses in Trinity. I'd be over the moon if I got any of them.
    Don't be too nervous, if they've called you for interview they obviously like what they see on paper and want to make sure that you provided an accurate picture of yourself and your intentions. Be informed about the course and be yourself, you'll be fine!

Moomat wrote: »
    Yes applied for 3 courses in Trinity. I'd be over the moon if I got any of them.
    Don't be too nervous, if they've called you for interview they obviously like what they see on paper and want to make sure that you provided an accurate picture of yourself and your intentions. Be informed about the course and be yourself, you'll be fine!

Thanks Moomat!! Hopefully I'll be okay, a lot of study to do I think! Best of luck with your selection too, fingers crossed for us!! On the off chance, you wouldn't have an idea of how many ppl would be selected for an interview?

Clo14 wrote: »
    Thanks Moomat!! Hopefully I'll be okay, a lot of study to do I think! Best of luck with your selection too, fingers crossed for us!! On the off chance, you wouldn't have an idea of how many ppl would be selected for an interview?

Thanks! I've no idea how many they would be calling but I wouldn't imagine it's a huge amount versus places available.
    Best of luck!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭charlie2505

Hey guys-Can I join the party? I have my interview for next week also for social studies/social work. Am just thrilled and so excited but also really nervous too. My recollection of info when I went to seminars etc about the course (and I could be wrong here) is something like 400 matures/HEAR/DARE students apply for that course each year. Approx 40 get selected for interview and there are approx 10 places given out. So if that is correct, then we have already done well to get this far! Now we have a 1 in 4 chance (or thereabouts) of getting a place. Its going to come down to the interview and the two references I suppose.
    I am bringing an academic ref and a work ref. Or do you think 2 academic refs would be better? I have been doing a Fetac level 5 course in advance of the course.
    I also remember that we should know if we have been offered a place by the end of May. So at least that's not too far off at this stage. Some colleges don't let people know until CAO offers in July.
    Has anyone you know interviewed for this course before? The usual suspect questions have already been asked on the application form so I wonder what else might come up?

Hey guys-Can I join the party? I have my interview for next week also for social studies/social work. Am just thrilled and so excited but also really nervous too. My recollection of info when I went to seminars etc about the course (and I could be wrong here) is something like 400 matures/HEAR/DARE students apply for that course each year. Approx 40 get selected for interview and there are approx 10 places given out. So if that is correct, then we have already done well to get this far! Now we have a 1 in 4 chance (or thereabouts) of getting a place. Its going to come down to the interview and the two references I suppose.
    I am bringing an academic ref and a work ref. Or do you think 2 academic refs would be better? I have been doing a Fetac level 5 course in advance of the course.
    I also remember that we should know if we have been offered a place by the end of May. So at least that's not too far off at this stage. Some colleges don't let people know until CAO offers in July.
    Has anyone you know interviewed for this course before? The usual suspect questions have already been asked on the application form so I wonder what else might come up?

Hey Charlie, that's exactly the course that I am being interviews for! So we are 2 out of the 40, just need to find the remaining 38 peeps!! That's great, I am even delighted to get this far but really really hope I do well in the interview! I don't know what to expect to be honest, I haven't even thought about references, I have work references and a reference from a youth centre I volunteer in, do u think it would be beneficial to have an academic one? I suppose it would!!? I'm just trying to learn as much about the subjects in the course and after that pray!!!! Yeah I was under that impression too, I'm from Cork so the notice would be great! I have trinity as my 2nd choice on my cao and ucc as my 1st, it was based on location preference really but had intended on changin it when the change of mind option appeared in May!?? That was a decision I made before I was aware of the interview but wondering if they can see that? Will they know it was my second choice do you think? Even though I was going to change it! Eeeeeeeeek I'm terrified!!!

When I went to the information meeting they said Trinity do not look at the CAO applications for mature students at all. That's why they have their own application system. And why we find out long before CAO offers are sent out. So I wouldn't worry in that score! I was at Mater Dei Institute of Education yesterday for a written assesment and they said they do see your CAO application however they don't care about preference. Whether that's true or not, I dont know but they all seem to be saying the same thing-preference is irrelevant.
    But I do remember reading somewhere that if you got offered say in this case-both courses, you would have to the one at the top of the list-so if UCC and Trinity offered you a place and you had Trinity first-then you'd have to accept that offer over UCC. Maybe give CAO a call and double check that with them but that's why they go overboard in hammering home how important preference choices are. It's all a bit of a minefield really!
    I would say if you could get a recent-ish academic reference then definitely bring it with you. I think they said anything in the last 5 years or so is ok? Maybe give them a ring to ask what they think? Either the department directly or Clodagh the mature student officer-she's lovely and really helpful.
    I am bringing two academic and two work refs and I will have in my head which are the best two and either let them decide if they want 2 or give them all if they'll take them!
    Just wish I was able to speak to a guidance counsellor now about the interview-I am going to do some reading up on social work in general. The different types, who the employers are, that kind of thing? The IASW website seems to have lots of info on that could be worth a read through too.
    Bring on Weds...I wont sleep right till it's done!:D

When I went to the information meeting they said Trinity do not look at the CAO applications for mature students at all. That's why they have their own application system. And why we find out long before CAO offers are sent out. So I wouldn't worry in that score! I was at Mater Dei Institute of Education yesterday for a written assesment and they said they do see your CAO application however they don't care about preference. Whether that's true or not, I dont know but they all seem to be saying the same thing-preference is irrelevant.
    But I do remember reading somewhere that if you got offered say in this case-both courses, you would have to the one at the top of the list-so if UCC and Trinity offered you a place and you had Trinity first-then you'd have to accept that offer over UCC. Maybe give CAO a call and double check that with them but that's why they go overboard in hammering home how important preference choices are. It's all a bit of a minefield really!
    I would say if you could get a recent-ish academic reference then definitely bring it with you. I think they said anything in the last 5 years or so is ok? Maybe give them a ring to ask what they think? Either the department directly or Clodagh the mature student officer-she's lovely and really helpful.
    I am bringing two academic and two work refs and I will have in my head which are the best two and either let them decide if they want 2 or give them all if they'll take them!
    Just wish I was able to speak to a guidance counsellor now about the interview-I am going to do some reading up on social work in general. The different types, who the employers are, that kind of thing? The IASW website seems to have lots of info on that could be worth a read through too.
    Bring on Weds...I wont sleep right till it's done!:D

Yeah I think your right Charlie, thanks for that. I was speaking to someone on it also and they said the same, it's possible that the admissions office may see your CAO preferences but not the interviewers as it is irrelevant to them at that point.

Emailed CAO and that's the case alright, for Mature Students you will be able to access the 'Change of Mind' option too so that you can move your preferences around if you wish. Was told at first by someone that if you are a Mature Student, this option was not available to you after March or something like that but CAO themselves said that that's incorrect and we can access this option if we like......pheeewww!!!!

Yeah I would say the same in relation to references, bring them all with you, they might take the 4 and all the better if they do!!

I know the feeling, I don't know what to look at really, just having points about why I want to do this? A overview about myself and interests etc, where I see myself in a few years, skills that I have that will benefit me in this role and skills that I can develop through studying. I don't know what to expect, I hope they don't fire a load of psychology-ish questions at me lol! I'm suprised that there is zero information on this interview like, someone out there has to know!!!!!!! What time on Wednesday is it? I'm the Wednesday after, the 23rd! Was up in Dublin yesterday and just had a look in to find the building because I wouldn't be familiar with the area inside it to be honest, It's the arts building which is number 51 on the map if you are unfamiliar of it too!! I plan to be there about an hour before I am suppose too, wont be relaxed-ish until I know exactly where I am suppose to be!!

You will be fine don't worry though, just try to think right, this is what I want to do, this is why I'm here, your eager to learn, we and they know that we don't know everything but it's just about showing them that we have the potential and that we are interested in it!

Don't want to be cheeky and I know that this will be the very last thing on your mind but during the week after your interview if you think of me let me know how you get on and if you have any small tips that would help I would greatly, greatly, greatly, greatly appreciate it!!!

Best of luck tomorrow Charlie!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the good wishes. My interview was this morning. It is hard to know how it went! My nerves were very jangled. They didn't ask really difficult or awkward questions-it was fairly straight forward-why this course and why now. They wanted to see if I was ready academically. I have been doing a PLC course the last year so I was able to talk about that a little. They asked how it compared to Leaving Cert! Bit of a strange question. While answering I made sure to mention topics of interest-human rights issues, health inequality-stuff I had been reading about recently. They asked how my work experience a little. They asked if I had any questions and then said I would find out one way or another by the end of May. I think it went ok but of course thinking back I am saying to myself that I didnt mention this or mention that. I think dont be afraid to repeat whats in your personal statement-some of the things I said that were already in it-they seemed surprised to hear? Perhaps that was just how it came across I'm not sure-so if its something important-definately dont be afraid to mention it again. Just sell yourself as best you can. Relate any work experience-social/voluntary or any other work experience to social work-I worked in insurance-I listed the transferable skills. Can't think of anything else really except-definately be yourself, be straight up about everything. They didnt ask me alot about the course-though I had covered that well in the personal statement. I suppose in a way each interview will be different based on the information they already have etc. It may end up being two different people interviewing you with a different set of questions you know? It was two people today-They were lovely people and the questions were not nearly as bad as I imagined. Whether I answered them well, who know's!! I did my very best so I am happy no matter what and relieved it is all over!
    I think they said they had over 70 applications from mature students and 40 to interview-and 10 places-so we have all done well to even be asked for interview.
    I met another girl there today and she was lovely-seems everyone wanting to be and who is already a social worker are really nice people in general!
    Very best of luck yourself and let me know how you get on too ;)

Thanks for the good wishes. My interview was this morning. It is hard to know how it went! My nerves were very jangled. They didn't ask really difficult or awkward questions-it was fairly straight forward-why this course and why now. They wanted to see if I was ready academically. I have been doing a PLC course the last year so I was able to talk about that a little. They asked how it compared to Leaving Cert! Bit of a strange question. While answering I made sure to mention topics of interest-human rights issues, health inequality-stuff I had been reading about recently. They asked how my work experience a little. They asked if I had any questions and then said I would find out one way or another by the end of May. I think it went ok but of course thinking back I am saying to myself that I didnt mention this or mention that. I think dont be afraid to repeat whats in your personal statement-some of the things I said that were already in it-they seemed surprised to hear? Perhaps that was just how it came across I'm not sure-so if its something important-definately dont be afraid to mention it again. Just sell yourself as best you can. Relate any work experience-social/voluntary or any other work experience to social work-I worked in insurance-I listed the transferable skills. Can't think of anything else really except-definately be yourself, be straight up about everything. They didnt ask me alot about the course-though I had covered that well in the personal statement. I suppose in a way each interview will be different based on the information they already have etc. It may end up being two different people interviewing you with a different set of questions you know? It was two people today-They were lovely people and the questions were not nearly as bad as I imagined. Whether I answered them well, who know's!! I did my very best so I am happy no matter what and relieved it is all over!
    I think they said they had over 70 applications from mature students and 40 to interview-and 10 places-so we have all done well to even be asked for interview.
    I met another girl there today and she was lovely-seems everyone wanting to be and who is already a social worker are really nice people in general!

Ahh Charlie, I am delighted for you!! Sounds like you did very well and don't worry nerves are only natural, if anything shows how much you want it really and how important it is to you!!! Of course, that's always the way but put it all out of your head now and enjoy your evening.

Fab, thanks for that advice!! And really appreciate you getting back to me Charlie! I'll be trying my best and that's all I can do, like yourself! I'm like a mad woman in the car driving home from work practicing questions out loud lol!! Will be glad to get it all over aswell, would rather it was before the Bank Holiday like but sur what can you do!!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I would say so, an awful lot of the people trying to get involved in this would be very easy going and approachable and helpful! Primarily, we are all in it for the same reason!

I will definitely let you know how I get one, it's in the morning aswell so at least that! Will have to go shopping in the afternoon to relax lol!!

Fingers crossed for both of us, hopefully we will be seeing each other in September!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liptonvillag

I'd Imagine most of the interviews are over for Trinity Social work this year but I'm sure this thread will appear in a boards search for next year's interviews. Here is a list of the questions that I was asked in consecutive order.

Why Social work...what has influenced your in life in wanting to do social work ?

(others questions lead of from that question above. They will interject and ask specifically and directly -

Why social work specifically, why not Teaching or other ?)

I explained about my voluntary work.... they interjected and asked what did I get from that specifically ? what dose it do for you ?

How do you deal with a difficult situation when someone is getting on your wick ?.....How do do you deal with difficult people ?

How do you relax ? What helps you to relax ?

What was the last book you read that was in any way connected to Social work/ Social issues ?
    Any book at all if none of comes to mind ?

Should cannabis be legalized ?

If you answer yes to the last question then your in the wrong game.

They're trying to ascertain if you have a bit of common sense ? If your reflective and intelligent in your responses. They want to get a sense that you have empathy and understanding for people, which I guess you have if your applying for social work but I guess they get the odd unsavorory character trying to get through the net.
    I was interviewed by two lovely ladies. One asked the questions and the other lady for the most part, listened and watched you like a quite owl in the corner. I felt she was studying my demeanor and responses to the questions been asked. I made the mistake of my answers to the main person asking the questions and not directing my answers sufficiently to the other interviewer.

They want to get a measure of you and the chat is made to feel informal. I noticed they paid particular attention to my use of words so you need to be aware of this. I used a phrase which on reflection I should have worded differently. I sensed a reaction from one of the women. Don't get too relaxed and to informal as they are very much paying attention to your use of words and ability to be PC.

Don't know if i got it yet. I'd probably learn more from not getting it as regards what not to say if i had to do it again. I was very honest and informal and if i don't get it then I have no regrets really. I can only be myself and if my life experiences are something that would cause alarm for them then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

YOu could try looking up the lecturers that give the course, see what their areas are of interest, they might ask why Trinity, and I remember saying, it's the best college in the country, not a great answer, others had a whole profile written out about the different lecturers. They'd a ll the modules written down for each year too.
    Hey if you ain't lucky like me, I mean I didn't get in last year, you could look at the Trinity Access Programme, TAP, a great year really changed me, so inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liptonvillag

Have you got word yet if you got a place ? or do you know when final places are allocated ?

Charlie, I just checked my boards there, I had written by to you from my phone the day after the interview, but it must not have saved/posted or something as I can't see my post here!?!

God, I can't even remember what I had written back to you now....but did the interview anyway.....I think I did okay. Like yourself soon after I started to think about all of the stuff I should have said etc. There were two interviewers, one definitely a Social Worker and the a man then much more interested in my academic ability etc. I think I convinced the Social Worker but not so much the Academic guy!! He asked me about how I got on in my Leaving Cert and made comments like...Ohh it's been 5 years since you have done your LC, there would be people coming straight from School here.....as if it was a bad thing that my LC was 5 years ago....I thought that would have been a good thing as it would have been recent relative to some mature students!!

He was also asking me about literature that I had read, names of books and stuff like that, that would challenge my thinking on some subjects that I had mentioned and views that I had.....Sur I couldn't think of any books......wasn't expecting that. So I don't know really, I could have impressed him more but maybe the Social Worker will sway him lol.

I was told that only 30 were selected for interview and 10 places so our chances are a little higher than expected!! Was also told that I would find out Mid May and if I don't hear anything back by end of May then to call them!! Mid May is next week really so that should be interesting!!

Uhhhh really hope now that it all works out!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mags06

Hi there

I am currently waiting for news on this course too. Has anyone heard yet? I had my interview a few weeks ago and the nerves are starting now in regards to if I have been successful or not. Good luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Whitey2279

mags06 wrote: »

I haven't heard back from whether I got in or not, but I heard back from my references that trinity rang up asking about me. So I'm taking it as a good sign.

Nerves are kicking in though!
    😕😕

Best of luck everyone 😊

That sounds like a great sign. Good luck. I'd say it might be this week that we find out.

Guys, Got accepted on the course today. Happy out. Hope you got good news :)

• Advertisement

mags06 wrote: »
    Guys, Got accepted on the course today. Happy out. Hope you got good news :)

Well done mags!! Me too!!! See u in September!!!!! Over the moon now!!!!

Yayyyy. Fantastic. See you then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Whitey2279

i got accepted aswell :D

Whitey2279 wrote: »
    i got accepted aswell :D

Yaaay!! Well done!! Now all I have to do is move to Dublin and fund this course some how lol!! ......I think I'll just worry about that later and enjoy a cold corona to celebrate!!!

Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a nice summer so far! Just wondering if anyone has heard anything else from Trinity since the offer? I assume that we won't hear untill after cao procedure but I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything?

Have accepted the offer and have Trinity as first preference on cao, that's all that needs to be done for now right?

Payment for course can be made when Susi issues yeah? Is there a need for a deposit now or anything?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

I've got an interview for this course for the 2017 intake and Its my first choice. I'm surprised I got it as I messed up my personal statement! So happy out whatever happens.

I've been invited like others to bring references. What did people have in their references that made them successful?

I've contacted my former employer which was a mental health charity. And I'm doing an evening course in NUIM so I've asked my lecturer. So I think i've asked the right people?

This mature student process is horrible by the way lol such a nerve wrecking roller coaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gillian.d

Hi and congrats on the interview, I've been asked to attend one also. Very excited. But yes your two references should be exactly what they are looking for. My tutor in further education is giving me the academic one and my other is from my work experience in December in medical social work department. Apparently those types are perfect. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Gillian.d wrote: »
    Hi and congrats on the interview, I've been asked to attend one also. Very excited. But yes your two references should be exactly what they are looking for. My tutor in further education is giving me the academic one and my other is from my work experience in December in medical social work department. Apparently those types are perfect. Good luck with it.

Thanks and good luck regarding your interview. I'm still unsure about about the content of the reference. What's good enough? The one I got back from my previous employer just stated some of my duties and confirmed when I worked there. They did say one or two complementary things but like, reliable, committed, supportive. But it's only two short paragraphs. How long and detailed were others? I have never had to give a written reference before.

Advertisement