Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the older cameras not exhibit a better visual deterrent?

Options
  • 11-04-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I'm talking about the rectangular white ones...

Look forward to hearing peoples opinions?

How would a potential burglar view you and your property if you were using the old type vs. new type?

Is it not all about the visual aspect?? Move onto an easier target etc. etc.??

Are these new bullet cameras designed to solve the issue where it's easier to disable a system by getting into areas the cameras don't cover?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I don't think it's much of a deterrent tbh, if they're a half decent burglar, they aren't going to be too bothered either way and will plan accordingly or go elsewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

vibe666 wrote: »
    I don't think it's much of a deterrent tbh, if they're a half decent burglar, they aren't going to be too bothered either way and will plan accordingly or go elsewhere.

Is that not what a deterrent is?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I honestly think the old style cams are just horrible eye-sores. The dome cams are easily seen and for a security camera and deterrent, they are more aesthetically pleasing. I have 1 o the front and one on the back of my property and they cover a very wide angle. I also have the mini domes in the house, which are great too.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is that not what a deterrent is?:confused:
    LOL yes,I get your point. :D

I was more meaning that it's exceptionally unlikely that it is going to deter them at all. A big crappy old camera is going to either be too fuzzy to any use, unmonitored out not working at all.

A newer camera is much more likely to be of much better quality, monitored and/or internet connected and uploading immediately to the owner wherever they are and as a result will be a much better deterrent imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

LOL yes,I get your point. :D

I was more meaning that it's exceptionally unlikely that it is going to deter them at all. A big crappy old camera is going to either be too fuzzy to any use, unmonitored out not working at all.

A newer camera is much more likely to be of much better quality, monitored and/or internet connected and uploading immediately to the owner wherever they are and as a result will be a much better deterrent imho.

I think the OP is talking about the style, rather than the age, although the question is not exactly clear (ironically). The older "style" cams are still available everywhere and can be great quality with IP connectivity, but I stand over my view that they are as ugly as sin.

However, I would have to say that any security is a deterrent. What burglar wants to make it harder on themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

euser1984 wrote: »

How would a potential burglar view you and your property if you were using the old type vs. new type?

It doesn't really matter, all they will do is pull up their hoodies and put their heads down. The type of camera will not matter as it still won't identify them

kub wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter, all they will do is pull up their hoodies and put their heads down. The type of camera will not matter as it still won't identify them
    it will if it's internet connected and configured to email an alert to the owner who can in remotely log from their phone, confirm that are being burgled and the garda immediately whilst monitoring house.

Mine also come with pan/tilt, a speaker and a microphone as well so I can follow them around and inform the burglar they are being watched and that the garda are their way and to feck off whilst they can.

Or (assuming I'm not nearby myself) I can call my neighbour who was robbed at Christmas, who I know has a bit of a temper. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to take out his frustrations on them, even if they're not the same guys that did his place over. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

it will if it's internet connected and configured to email an alert to the owner who can in remotely log from their phone, confirm that are being burgled and the garda immediately whilst monitoring house.

Mine also come with pan/tilt, a speaker and a microphone as well so I can follow them around and inform the burglar they are being watched and that the garda are their way and to feck off whilst they can.

Or (assuming I'm not nearby myself) I can call my neighbour who was robbed at Christmas, who I know has a bit of a temper. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to take out his frustrations on them, even if they're not the same guys that did his place over. :)

Have you got a burglar alarm as well? What DVR have you? Can you actually broadcast a message as well from your phone?

kub wrote: »
    Have you got a burglar alarm as well? What DVR have you? Can you actually broadcast a message as well from your phone?
    yep, alarm with contact sensors on all the doors and windows and motion sensors in every open area. 7 foot hedges all around and a lockable 6 foot gate a the front of the drive and a gate and cameras (independently monitored) at the front of the estate too.

did stop my neighbour getting robbed though, although his place backs onto a field, mine only backs onto other gardens, but you never can be too sure.

no DVR, they're 720p foscam IP Cams linked together so you can view and pan/tilt all the cams from a single interface, plus a Synology NAS to save everything to. I had planned on using the Synology surveillance station for recording everything, but the licenses for multiple cameras are prohibitively expensive and it's not nearly as good as it thinks it is.

There are several phone apps that allow you to listen in to your cameras audio feed and speak through an attached speaker (handy for the postman!).

Advertisement