Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actual transfer time - Munich-Memmingen

Options
  • 15-05-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how long it *actually* takes to get from Munich to Memmingen by the Allgau Airport Express bus?

According to their timetable here - http://www.allgaeu-airport-express.de/download/muc_29.04.-26.05.2013.pdf - it takes 1 hour 25 minutes no matter what time of night or day.

At the moment it looks like our choices are a departure at 1000, arriving (nominally) at 1125 for a flight which departs at 1240, or else a bus at 0650 . . . which is just a tad on the early side. According to the blurb, you have to have dropped your bags 40 minutes before departure so that means we have until 1200 to complete the process. It seems like we *should* be fine.

In theory the 1000 bus should be fine, but I find it hard to believe that the bus takes the same time in rush hour as in the middle of the day.

The alternative I'm looking at is to take the train which provides a lot more options in terms of departure times and which gets rid of the potential for traffic issues along the way. I can leave at 0825 and be in Memmingen at 0950 on an hour later with more or less the same times. I still have to get a taxi (or bus) to the airport, but I gather that this is only a few minutes away.

Sorry, rambling . . . can anyone comment on how long the bus from Munich actually takes? We got it a few years back, but it was so long ago that I can't remember the time.

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

10am isnt rush hour
    And their timings are fairly good to be honest. Leaving town outside of say between 4 and 6 the motorway is relatively empty and all that can catch you out is an accident.

I got the bus a few times and its a really comfortable way to travel. They are all the best of new coaches and its smooth new motorway for the long haul part of the journey.
    In Memmingen theres never any queue for security as theres so few flights anyhow so you'll have plenty of time on that 10am bus so long as nothing catastropic happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Ah yeah, I know 1000 isn't rush hour alright. I guess I was just wondering if their 1h25 timing was based on optimum conditions and you could expect to be a little longer in traffic or whether 1h25 was based on heavy traffic and you could be there in 1h on a good day.

z

p.s. can we all stay in your place by any chance? ;)

zagmund wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I know 1000 isn't rush hour alright. I guess I was just wondering if their 1h25 timing was based on optimum conditions and you could expect to be a little longer in traffic or whether 1h25 was based on heavy traffic and you could be there in 1h on a good day.

z

p.s. can we all stay in your place by any chance? ;)
    already have a wife and 2 kids in my place so crowded enough as it is!

The timing is pretty much spot on. They've ommited the stop in Landberg a couple of weeks ago so is now quicker than previously.
    That motorway is a commuter rat run (country bumpkins living with mammy or in a house built on a plot nearby, encouraged to do so by fully tax offsettable commuting costs combined with low accomodation costs combined with decent wages in Munich)
    so if you are stuck amongst those folks then it will take longer, but otherwise it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 krb1979

The train might be better. I have travelled a few times from Memmingen to Munich and train is always best. You can get a Bayern pass ticket so a family can travel in 30 euros (i think).
    You won;t be able to use the Bayern ticket for the bus from airport to memmingen station.

I would have to ask why you say the train is best.
    With the bus you chuck your bags in the boot, get on - sleep for an hour and a half and wake up literally 15 to 20 metres from the security check.
    The bus and train leave from exactly the same place in Munich only metres apart.

I am a great fan of trains but I do have to say that this is one of the journeys where I'd always choose a bus over it (or just drive myself - seeing as parking out there is for a pittance).

• Advertisement
Advertisement