Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static on Laptop Speakers

Options
  • 18-07-2012 3:33pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Model: Compaq CQ71

Ok, so when I have my laptop's volume maxed, there is a low hissing static in the background, even when I'm not listening to music. It's still audible until I turn the volume down to around 75%.
    The static also occurs when I use headphones, external speakers, etc.

A quick Google leads me to believe that this is a common problem with sound cards, but another quick Google tells me that laptops don't have conventional sound cards, and have sound processors.

So basically, anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ICCM

1. update the drivers

2. change the sound card (if possible)

3. change the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

I had a similar problem like this recently.

I found by removing the battery from the laptop, and with the charger disconnected, hold down on the power button on the machine for 15-20 seconds, which removes the static from the machine. plug the battery back in and then boot it up. It may or may not work all the time, but its worth a shot!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ICCM wrote: »
    1. update the drivers

2. change the sound card (if possible)

3. change the laptop

I don't think steps two or three are possible (can't afford a new laptop just now), but I'll try updating the drivers.
    RobTheLad wrote: »
    I had a similar problem like this recently.

I found by removing the battery from the laptop, and with the charger disconnected, hold down on the power button on the machine for 15-20 seconds, which removes the static from the machine. plug the battery back in and then boot it up. It may or may not work all the time, but its worth a shot!

Tried this, didn't make any difference to the speakers, but after doing a search to make sure you weren't trying to dupe me into deleting everything on the HDD first, turns out it was a thing I should've done ages ago just to fix some other niggly issues. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Could be the hard drive motor interfering... ever thought of buying a solid state disk? ;)

Advertisement