Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop comparison and recommendation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I am very encouraged by that find! It is definitely one to think about as it comes in at 530 euro. What are Amazon like to deal with as regards returns and customer support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

In terms of support /returns they are simply the best company out there.
    Uses them on number of occasions, never had a single problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This is the best you will get for that price offline in Ireland, it has everything you want except USB 3.0 http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/computers/laptops/samsung-300e5.html

This has everything you want except USB 3.0 and it might save you a bit http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5086483/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039.htm

How long is the college course? Even a top i7 will be getting old three of four years from now.

It is four years long. I do not mind it getting old. I bought my Toshiba 4 years ago and it still runs just as good! I went into Harvey Norman, PC World and Curry's today and after viewing them all I think that she should go for an i5 model with 4gb ram. They were all about 600 though. I think I will try persuade her to purchase online.

• Advertisement

Make sure they don't sell you an old i5. The older i5s will be less powerful than a new i3.

The laptop Jarren linked is 22% more powerful than the laptop I linked. It's not going to last much longer than the i3 though, they both come from the same series and will be considered old tech at roughly the same time.

You might be better waiting until the course starts, once the new i3s start becoming available they will be better than an i5 that you would buy today.

She has 99% decided to go for the one that Jarren recommended. Final say on it, is it a good laptop based on specs? Not sure if it is an old i5. She would probably play some games online but not much.

I think that it will be hard to get better for that price. It is up to her if she wants to wait for the newer i3 but I think she is just impatient at this stage because she will need to get her head around the new laptop before college.

In relation to a warranty, I assume that it comes with a one year manufacturing warranty? She is just wary about buying online.

She has 99% decided to go for the one that Jarren recommended. Final say on it, is it a good laptop based on specs? Not sure if it is an old i5. She would probably play some games online but not much.

I think that it will be hard to get better for that price. It is up to her if she wants to wait for the newer i3 but I think she is just impatient at this stage because she will need to get her head around the new laptop before college.

In relation to a warranty, I assume that it comes with a one year manufacturing warranty? She is just wary about buying online.

Its good for the price. There will be newer and better processors on sale soon, but you wont get anything better unless your willing to wait.

Advertisement