Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

dog aggressive dog

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

If he is part wheaten, then there is terrier in him, and they can be a bit funny at times, typical terriers I call them. You should never let him walk out the door before you, sit on a chair without your permission or anyone elses in the house, feed him after the rest of the family and let him see this, the second he reacts to other dogs, stop him, bring a can with some stones in it out with you on a walk, if you see as much as a hint of him thinking other than walking nicely down the road, shake it firmly, you must do this at the exact moment you see him THINKING about acting up to break the habit, I have four children, two dogs and a cat , the dogs obey everyone, never had any problems, they obey me over everyone else, you can always say in a loud voice DOWN when he makes a move if you dont want to carry things around, but you MUST do it the min you see him thinking of it, (as I said already) hope this helps, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Hi just a quick update, i phoned the behaviourists i had recommend through here and altho neither were in a position to help (distance) i was put onto somebody who one of them recommended and she is coming out on monday to talk things through see him behave and then she'll come up with a plan of action using positive reinforcement and encouragment only. She has already suggested i replace his harness with a gentle leader as once i feel i have more control i'll relax more and so will he and after a few days of him realising its ok to have on he should be ready to walk on it.

I explained the problem to all of them on the phone and they all said that there was a very good chance this behaviour pattern can be sorted once we've dealt with any underlying problems.

A huge thank you to you all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

While I have seen the pebbles in a bottle used to good effect for certain things, it should never be used to attempt to change behaviour in a fearful dog. Also timing is so important in this that I would not recommend it for most people.

The case where I have seen it work well was where a dog gets caught up in a behaviour (barking) and the shake of the bottle snaps her out of it. At this stage the presence of a bottle with stones in it is enough to make her remember herself and not go into that zoned out state.

Advertisement