Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable Dog Breeders

Options
  • 05-04-2011 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, unfortunately not. Best thing is to contact the IKC for a list of breed clubs and breeders and this can also be found on their website.
    Is there a particular breed you are enquiring about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

The only problem with that is most reputable breeders don't breed that often and they have no need to advertise their litters as the pups are usually booked weeks in advance, even before the mating has happened sometimes. If you are looking for a pup I would advise you to either contact the IKC for a list of breeders for whichever breed you are looking for and get onto a waiting list or attend a dog show, meet some breeders that way and get on one of their waiting list. Either way if you want a dog from a good breeder you may have to wait but it is worth for the right dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Melendez wrote: »

If you can't decide what breed you want I would definately take a stroll around a couple of all breed dog shows, get a feel for the different breeds and have a talk to people who are showing they will be more than happy to share the pro's and con's of the breed with you.
    I've never had a Shiba Inu so I can't be much help there. I had a Wire Haired Fox Terrier, they are an energetic, independant little dog, tough as old boots :). They don't shed but need to be clipped regularly to keep them tidy. If you are not a confident, firm owner I would stay away from this breed as they are definately the type of dog to take advantage of weakness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I would advise to stay away from Shiba's if these are going to be issues. Shiba's shed quite a bit, and by the gods are those little devils headstrong. Shiba's know their own minds and they'll make sure that you know they're going to follow their own plans. They need training from the very beginning and will end up with behavioural problems if they dont get it.
    Like Irushe said, its best to go to a few all dog breed shows and talk to the owners to see what they're like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

andreac wrote: »
    No, unfortunately not. Best thing is to contact the IKC for a list of breed clubs and breeders and this can also be found on their website.
    Is there a particular breed you are enquiring about?

I'm looking to get a chocolate labrador and had a look on the IKC site, but could'nt find anything on them just retrievers? Where would I look?
    BTW I have been keeping an eye on rescues but nothing yet (thank goodness in a way) but if anyone knows of one please let me know.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a chocolate labrador and had a look on the IKC site, but could'nt find anything on them just retrievers?.

Labrador Retrievers?? They are Labradors.

Labrador Retriever Club of Ireland
    Mrs. A. Hancock
    48 Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.
    (01-6685244) Email:
    angela.hancock35@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm looking to get a chocolate labrador and had a look on the IKC site, but could'nt find anything on them just retrievers? Where would I look?
    BTW I have been keeping an eye on rescues but nothing yet (thank goodness in a way) but if anyone knows of one please let me know.
    You could keep an eye on www.pedigreedogs.ie

They screen their advertisements properly, and all dogs listed on there are IKC registered so at least you know there's some bit of traceable history.

lrushe wrote: »
    Labrador Retrievers?? They are Labradors.

Labrador Retriever Club of Ireland
    Mrs. A. Hancock
    48 Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.
    (01-6685244) Email: angela.hancock35@gmail.com

I am aware that they are all labradors. The above was no help when I contacted them.

Top Dog wrote: »

They screen their advertisements properly, and all dogs listed on there are IKC registered so at least you know there's some bit of traceable history.

Exactly what I was looking for. Top Dog for a gud reason;)
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Oh god I wish I hadn't looked
    SOOOO many cute pups :(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

would you consuider a schnauzer? we have a 3 year old schnauzer and he really is great. he doesnt shed really unless were brushing him he will need to be groomed we get ares groomed every6 months in the summer a maybe more hes happy with what ever way you walk him as long as he gets a walk like we could take him for 5 15 min walk at different times in the day and he would be happy! gets on with the car and other dogs great and is very easy on the lead? just a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Exactly what I was looking for. Top Dog for a gud reason;)
    Thanks.

Sorry, I don't like that site either, to me it may not be quite as bad as the buy and sell type sites, but they have a lot of stud dogs advertised on there. I thought that responsible breeders only bred for the betterment of the breed, so why would you be advertising your stud dog? Surely you would do your research and know what bitches you want to breed your male with?

A lot of dogs on the 'other' sites are IKC registered, it means absolutely nothing, as has been discussed on here many times before. There is no accountability, or even real traceability just because of a kennel club registration. It is not unknown for the wrong papers to be put with puppies.

I remember when that site was launched, and everyone had high hopes for it, but other than going to each advertisers property and checking out their dogs, I really don't see how each ad can be 'screened properly'. People lie:eek: they can say anything that someone else wants to hear.

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't like that site either, to me it may not be quite as bad as the buy and sell type sites, but they have a lot of stud dogs advertised on there. I thought that responsible breeders only bred for the betterment of the breed, so why would you be advertising your stud dog? Surely you would do your research and know what bitches you want to breed your male with?

A lot of dogs on the 'other' sites are IKC registered, it means absolutely nothing, as has been discussed on here many times before. There is no accountability, or even real traceability just because of a kennel club registration. It is not unknown for the wrong papers to be put with puppies.

I remember when that site was launched, and everyone had high hopes for it, but other than going to each advertisers property and checking out their dogs, I really don't see how each ad can be 'screened properly'. People lie:eek: they can say anything that someone else wants to hear.

I have to say i dont mind it and i actually put my dog up there recently so if it means that only IKC reg dogs are allowed on it i dont think its a bad site.

Yes people can lie but they can lie anywhere, but at least cross breeds, designer dogs etc are not allowed to be advertised.
    Its another avenue for reputable breeders to get their kennels known and advertised and i know a lot of the breeders/advertisers on it are very responsible breeders and not at all dodgy.

People can still advertise their dogs for stud and be choosy with the bitches they pick, i know i certainly will be and will only allow my dog to be used on quality bitches and if there is a valid reason for breeding their bitch.
    I have had several people enquire about my dog and it turned out one of the bitches was Canine Ireland registered so i told them sorry, in no way would they be using my dog. I could have done it, just for the money but thats not what i am involved in dogs for.

I have to say i dont mind it and i actually put my dog up there recently so if it means that only IKC reg dogs are allowed on it i dont think its a bad site.

Yes people can lie but they can lie anywhere, but at least cross breeds, designer dogs etc are not allowed to be advertised.
    Its another avenue for reputable breeders to get their kennels known and advertised and i know a lot of the breeders/advertisers on it are very responsible breeders and not at all dodgy.

People can still advertise their dogs for stud and be choosy with the bitches they pick, i know i certainly will be and will only allow my dog to be used on quality bitches and if there is a valid reason for breeding their bitch.
    I have had several people enquire about my dog and it turned out one of the bitches was Canine Ireland registered so i told them sorry, in no way would they be using my dog. I could have done it, just for the money but thats not what i am involved in dogs for.

I just had a quick through the sibes:D and theres an ad there for puppies with a couple of photos that are obviously not any of the pups for sale, the ad was put up at the beginning of February, and I really want to go and see the field of buttercups in full bloom at that time in Ireland, if anyone could tell me where it is.

But we are always advising people on here to stay away from internet ad sites, and go to shows and talk to people there about sourcing a pedigree pup. I know that this site is owned by someone who shows their dog, and is well known, but that doesn't make it any better in my view than the other sites.

Sorry, but you've always said on here that if your dog is a good example of the breed, that there should be no need to advertise them, that people will come to you.

Yes i understand that, but i think the fact that its policed a lot better than other sites is a good thing.

I have my dog on our rottweiler club of ireland site as well and i think that is a good way of promoting your dog as its legit and through the breed club and only full members are allowed to out their dogs on it once it has been health tested/hip scored etc, the internet isnt always a bad thing, you just need to be very careful and vet every potential person enquiring.

Does the same go for breed clubs that have a website that promotes the breed and gives info out on reputable breeders?

A lot of people that show their dogs have their own websites and will advertise on their too so i cant see that as being a bad thing once they are breeding responsibly and health testing etc.

Yes i understand that, but i think the fact that its policed a lot better than other sites is a good thing.

I have my dog on our rottweiler club of ireland site as well and i think that is a good way of promoting your dog as its legit and through the breed club and only full members are allowed to out their dogs on it once it has been health tested/hip scored etc, the internet isnt always a bad thing, you just need to be very careful and vet every potential person enquiring.

Does the same go for breed clubs that have a website that promotes the breed and gives info out on reputable breeders?

A lot of people that show their dogs have their own websites and will advertise on their too so i cant see that as being a bad thing once they are breeding responsibly and health testing etc.

So, if only health tested dogs are allowed on the breed club site(s) then how come anyone can advertise an IKC registered dog on this site in question without proof of health tests? Why not do the same thing?

I don't see how it is policed any better if there is one photo that I spotted straight away that is obviously not advertising what it says it is. How is it policed? Do they go and visit the advertisers? I've also seen another ad on there that is definitely lying. Great policing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

But we are always advising people on here to stay away from internet ad sites, and go to shows and talk to people there about sourcing a pedigree pup. I know that this site is owned by someone who shows their dog, and is well known, but that doesn't make it any better in my view than the other sites.

Sorry, but you've always said on here that if your dog is a good example of the breed, that there should be no need to advertise them, that people will come to you.

And this is why "puppy farmers" are doing so well. Most people who want a dog, would love to get a well bred dog, but most (all?) breeders and clubs make this nearly impossible. The whole thing can be very snobby, stand-offish and off-putting for a well intentioned member of the public to get their hands on a dog from a reputable breeder in Ireland.

There are only a handful of people who would A/ try to figure out when shows are on, B/ Travel around the country to them on spec for C) the off chance some breeder might give them the time of day and reserve a puppy from a litter.

There has to be a simpler way for people to get in contact with good breeders with litters due.

So, if only health tested dogs are allowed on the breed club site(s) then how come anyone can advertise an IKC registered dog on this site in question without proof of health tests? Why not do the same thing?

I don't see how it is policed any better if there is one photo that I spotted straight away that is obviously not advertising what it says it is. How is it policed? Do they go and visit the advertisers? I've also seen another ad on there that is definitely lying. Great policing:)

I dont know, that would be something you would have to take up with pedigree dogs themselves, i have nothing to do with that site. I know all ads are screened before putting them live so maybe contact Paul on pedigree dogs and let your feelings be known to him as im sure he will listen to your thoughts on it.

pH wrote: »
    And this is why "puppy farmers" are doing so well. Most people who want a dog, would love to get a well bred dog, but most (all?) breeders and clubs make this nearly impossible. The whole thing can be very snobby, stand-offish and off-putting for a well intentioned member of the public to get their hands on a dog from a reputable breeder in Ireland.

There are only a handful of people who would A/ try to figure out when shows are on, B/ Travel around the country to them on spec for C) the off chance some breeder might give them the time of day and reserve a puppy from a litter.

There has to be a simpler way for people to get in contact with good breeders with litters due.

Absolutely, so as Andreac says, for the rottie club website, the dogs have to be health tested before they are allowed on the site. So, why can a site such as the one in question not do the same thing? Surely then there could be no doubt that it is only reputable breeders advertising on it?

But you know what though, we seem to think that we have a right to own a dog, when really we should consider it a privilege, so people who want a well bred pedigree dog should be willing to jump through all the hoops that a good breeders put out there. I know we've said it on here many, many times before, but the laws need to be changed. Breeding should be heavily regulated, and we need to change the mindset of dog owners.

• Advertisement

I am aware that they are all labradors. The above was no help when I contacted them.

Sorry I was confused by your post, I didn't realise you'd contacted anyone in the IKC.

But you know what though, we seem to think that we have a right to own a dog, when really we should consider it a privilege, so people who want a well bred pedigree dog should be willing to jump through all the hoops that a good breeders put out there. I know we've said it on here many, many times before, but the laws need to be changed. Breeding should be heavily regulated, and we need to change the mindset of dog owners.

Couldn't agree more, if only people had to jump through more hoops to get a dog they might think twice before a) ever getting a dog in the first place b) getting rid of it so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pedigree Dogs

Whilst looking at my site analytics last night, I seen that there were a lot of referring visits from this site to mine, so checked it out and that's how I came to this post.

My name is Paul Barry and I am the owner of the site pedigreedogs.ie

I'd just like to answer a couple of the questions / statements that have been discussed above

When ISDW refers to my site being not quite as bad as the buy & sell types, I expect that they are referring to the fact that we have a comprehensive advice section, and a very informative blog.

Under the advice section you will find the following

In relation to Pups on the site (or Dogs being offered at Stud) we would recommend asking the owner if the pups parents (or Stud Dog) has had the relevant breed specific health checks, and request to see proof of same.

On the blog you will find articles such as; To Breed or not to Breed (21-02-11) Yaris V Ferrari (20-02-11) and most Saturdays we post a video of a particular breed followed by the FCI Breed Standard, Siberian Husky (30-01-11)

To the right hand side of the blog you will also find direct links to some Breed Clubs in Ireland, that have taken us up on our free offer to place a link on this section (Including the Northern Ireland Rottweiler Club) as well as many of the top show kennels in Ireland. We want to push Joe Public towards these web sites so they can speak to a responsible person about the breed in question.

Under the section Why advertise you will also find the following

We would also advise people that if they are not buying a registered pedigree dog, then rescue a dog from their local shelter.

I'm sure most people have come across the site champdogs.co.uk This is a model that some day I would like to replicate, but Ireland is not ready for this just yet. The UK is a different market. If I started out on the same basis as this site, it would take years for pedigreedogs to start getting picked up on in the search engine rankings etc, and nobody would come across the information found on our Blog re Breed Clubs or Advice section or information re Microchipping

We will always come up against people who "Lie" in relation to what they are advertising, and in relation to the 1 ad mentioned there are 3 pictures, 2 that were more than likely from a previous litter, and one of a current pup. Our advice to people looking at our site, is that if you do go to look at the pups being offered, that is after you have asked all the questions of the breeder found under our advice tab, and the conditions or pups look different to the ones being offered on the site, walk away.

It's also stated that I am well known. I have owned dogs (Standard Smooth Dachshunds) for the last 10 years. This is the first and only breed I have had since moving from my parents where we always had cross bred dogs.

I have shown dogs for about 8 years, only going to about 7 to 8 shows per year. I wouldn't consider myself well known at all, but do get in contact with as many responsible owners / breeders as possible, trying to promote my site and seek their support in helping us spread our message.

I worked out that ISDW stands for Irish Sled Dog Welfare, which is a rescue. I checked your site and see under links you have linked Irish Dogs.ie which carries a direct link to DD.

As there was one or two ad's on my site that didn't meet with approval, and if my site is going to be tarred on that basis, let me relate the following

I have only bred 1 litter in 10 years. We had 3 pups, and kept 2. The one we sold on, went to a fantastic home that was pre checked.

I have only used my Irish Champion dog at stud once. A lady who had an IKC registered Std Smooth Dachshund wanted a litter, so we agreed to use our male. The mating was successful, and pups were due.

When the bitch was whelping, she had to leave the house for a while to check on something, and when she came back the pups were dead. The Mother had rolled over them. We were of course extremely upset, and wondered how could this person be so careless.

The person in question works for a dog rescue in Kildare. But I won't let that affect my opinion on how great some of the work that is being done in Ireland, by some dog rescues.

My final point is that we are experiencing a small problem since we added the paypal function where some ad's make it to the site before we get a chance to look at same. We hope to have this rectified over the W/E so our normal service can resume.

This is my only post re this thread, and I would ask anyone that has any questions etc, to please make contact with me via the contact details on our site

Whilst looking at my site analytics last night, I seen that there were a lot of referring visits from this site to mine, so checked it out and that's how I came to this post.

My name is Paul Barry and I am the owner of the site pedigreedogs.ie

I'd just like to answer a couple of the questions / statements that have been discussed above

When ISDW refers to my site being not quite as bad as the buy & sell types, I expect that they are referring to the fact that we have a comprehensive advice section, and a very informative blog.

Under the advice section you will find the following

In relation to Pups on the site (or Dogs being offered at Stud) we would recommend asking the owner if the pups parents (or Stud Dog) has had the relevant breed specific health checks, and request to see proof of same.

On the blog you will find articles such as; To Breed or not to Breed (21-02-11) Yaris V Ferrari (20-02-11) and most Saturdays we post a video of a particular breed followed by the FCI Breed Standard, Siberian Husky (30-01-11)

To the right hand side of the blog you will also find direct links to some Breed Clubs in Ireland, that have taken us up on our free offer to place a link on this section (Including the Northern Ireland Rottweiler Club) as well as many of the top show kennels in Ireland. We want to push Joe Public towards these web sites so they can speak to a responsible person about the breed in question.

Under the section Why advertise you will also find the following

We would also advise people that if they are not buying a registered pedigree dog, then rescue a dog from their local shelter.

I'm sure most people have come across the site champdogs.co.uk This is a model that some day I would like to replicate, but Ireland is not ready for this just yet. The UK is a different market. If I started out on the same basis as this site, it would take years for pedigreedogs to start getting picked up on in the search engine rankings etc, and nobody would come across the information found on our Blog re Breed Clubs or Advice section or information re Microchipping

We will always come up against people who "Lie" in relation to what they are advertising, and in relation to the 1 ad mentioned there are 3 pictures, 2 that were more than likely from a previous litter, and one of a current pup. Our advice to people looking at our site, is that if you do go to look at the pups being offered, that is after you have asked all the questions of the breeder found under our advice tab, and the conditions or pups look different to the ones being offered on the site, walk away.

It's also stated that I am well known. I have owned dogs (Standard Smooth Dachshunds) for the last 10 years. This is the first and only breed I have had since moving from my parents where we always had cross bred dogs.

I have shown dogs for about 8 years, only going to about 7 to 8 shows per year. I wouldn't consider myself well known at all, but do get in contact with as many responsible owners / breeders as possible, trying to promote my site and seek their support in helping us spread our message.

I worked out that ISDW stands for Irish Sled Dog Welfare, which is a rescue. I checked your site and see under links you have linked Irish Dogs.ie which carries a direct link to DD.

As there was one or two ad's on my site that didn't meet with approval, and if my site is going to be tarred on that basis, let me relate the following

I have only bred 1 litter in 10 years. We had 3 pups, and kept 2. The one we sold on, went to a fantastic home that was pre checked.

I have only used my Irish Champion dog at stud once. A lady who had an IKC registered Std Smooth Dachshund wanted a litter, so we agreed to use our male. The mating was successful, and pups were due.

When the bitch was whelping, she had to leave the house for a while to check on something, and when she came back the pups were dead. The Mother had rolled over them. We were of course extremely upset, and wondered how could this person be so careless.

The person in question works for a dog rescue in Kildare. But I won't let that affect my opinion on how great some of the work that is being done in Ireland, by some dog rescues.

My final point is that we are experiencing a small problem since we added the paypal function where some ad's make it to the site before we get a chance to look at same. We hope to have this rectified over the W/E so our normal service can resume.

This is my only post re this thread, and I would ask anyone that has any questions etc, to please make contact with me via the contact details on our site

Wow.

Yes I have a link to Irish Dogs, who also have a lot of great information on how to source a reputable breeder and a lot of good advice on how to avoid puppy farmers. In fact, all the things that you say you have on your site, they have:D so a good source of information for people in my opinion. I do not have a link to any websites that sell dogs.

I don't have any questions for you, I have no intention of ever using your site, I was merely pointing out that your site is very like the others that sell dogs, you go on what your advertisers tell you, you don't go and do visits to their premises, so how do you know they are reputable, responsible breeders? A link to your site was put up on here as a good place to find a puppy, but in my opinion (which I'm allowed to have) there is little difference between your and other puppy selling sites. I wanted to redress the balance, so that people didn't think that every dog advertised on your site has been health checked etc etc etc.

I didn't say there were only one or two ads that didn't meet my approval, I had a very quick look at two breeds, and straight away saw the anomalies I mentioned. I don't have the time nor the inclination to go through all of the ads, you obviously do though, as they are all pre-approved.

Advertisement