Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of taking a rescue dog, worried about routine

Options
  • 05-04-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭

So, my daughter and I were thinking about taking a rescue dog. What we had planned was

- Take the dog for a long walk first thing in the morning.
    - The dog would be home alone (from 8am) all day, in a house in the garden.
    - My daughter would be home by 4pm and would take the dog for a good walk, except for Wednesdays when she'd be home by 1pm.
    - I'd be home from 6.30pm
    - We never travel
    - There's always one of us in the house of an evening

But I'm getting cold feet with the feedback I've had so far ... can't leave a dog alone for more than 5 hours, can't leave a dog outside all day even with a kennel.

Obviously we wanted to take an older dog (rather than a puppy) in these circumstances. We thought our home would be better than most (or worse, a dog being put down!) but I'm beginning to think it won't work. We can't really afford 50 a week for a dog walker. We have friends/neighbours who'd be willing to pop in and visit the dog during some of the days ... but only when they "get to know the dog".

Should we not do it? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

What breed do you think youll go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

No particular breed in mind, happy to take whatever dog would suit our household.

We went to the shelter just over a week ago and they showed us a (beautiful) 4/6 year old mongrel which we'd love to take.

But while I really want to "rescue" a dog, I don't want to tell them (the shelter) that we can do something we can't ... and I don't think we can meet their criteria.

I guess I'm wondering if the criteria would be different elsewhere or if we're just being completely selfish :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

My two bits for what it's worth is that you would make an excellent home for a rescue dog, maybe even two together, they often have older dogs that need to be homed in one house.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Would you leave the dog in the house during the day rather than outside? I think if you are giving it a long walk in the morning and if you have someone popping in at about lunchtime every day to let it out/say hello for a while then it should be fine, personally I just wouldn't be keen on leaving it outside, even with a kennel, it's not ideal of course but I would rather a dog with you and your family than in a shelter, to be honest it sounds to me like you could give one of those poor dogs a good home. The only things that might stop you with the shelter is a)leaving it outside during the day and b) being out all day - however there are some shelters that will match a dog to your lifestyle, whereabouts are you based? Or have you talked to the shelter where this dog that you liked is and told them of your cirumstances?

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    The only things that might stop you with the shelter is a)leaving it outside during the day and b) being out all day

Yes, they're the two problems, I honestly didn't realise being outside (with a kong and a nice house) was such a big issue.

While I'm fairly sure we could eventually get a routine where the dog would visited every day, I can't promise the shelter that there won't be days when she'd be on her own from 8 to 4. And they can't take our word for it that we'd make it up to her in the evenings and weekends.

We specifically wanted an older dog because we thought that might work once she'd had a good run in the morning and another one at 4. Plus we had the impression that people tend to be more interested in puppies.
    have you talked to the shelter where this dog that you liked is and told them of your cirumstances?

Yes, we put on the form that we'd be out all day and they encouraged us to look into ways to avoid this, which we'll obviously try to do (the school holidays are in a couple of months, problem solved!) but I've just personally lost confidence in our suitability to adopt.

I'll call them today and be brutally honest.
    however there are some shelters that will match a dog to your lifestyle, whereabouts are you based?

I think that's what we'll probably look into. We'll submit our details to a couple of shelters and ask them to contact us if they think they have a dog which would suit us. Our home would be a good home, even if it's not a perfect one.

I just wish we hadn't met the dog. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I have to say that on the leaving them outside I don't see it as an issue at all. We leave Sindy and Fargo outside when we're not there, other that in the extremely cold, snowy weather. They would go mad inside. I do check regularly with neighbours and they are not nuisance barking. In good weather they lie up on the deck or on the patio, in bad they have a lovely wooden insulated house on the deck, though Sindy prefers to get under the bushes :-) Our rescue centre "dogs in distress" were happy with this arrangement.
    They are on their own most days from about 9.10 to lunch time, occassionally longer though we do try to get inlaws to take them on those days. Plus local kids love them and sometimes call to see can they walk them :-)
    I still say you would give a dog a very much loved home. Older dogs are harder to home, and if you could take two who have always been together and would be distressed to be seperated even better.

I don't want to sound like a greyhound propagandist but they are very good at being left on their own for long periods of time, especially older ones. they are fantastic with kids too and very placid. have a look into it and see if they would suit you.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I'm sure there's a dog (or two?) out there for us. We'll re-group, re-think and try again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I think you're on the right track when you say a dog "or two". I have two rescue dogs. I got Millie two years ago and, as we both work, I was upset at her being alone for extended periods of time. So, along came Max eight months ago! Now that she has Max, Millie loves her days outside and I don't feel that she's on her own. In the evening they come in and cuddle up together on the couch and then they snuggle together on their beds in the utility room at night.
    I really think that could be the answer to your problem and I think the rescue centre would agree.
    Best of luck and well done on rescuing a dog(s):)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

It's lovely to see someone putting so much thought into getting a dog. There are so many shelters in Ireland and some have different rehoming criteria than others. If you get in touch with a few different ones and explain your situation I'm sure you'll find the right one.
    Well done for deciding to take a rescue dog. And best of luck with your search for your new family member! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

LittleBook wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I'm sure there's a dog (or two?) out there for us. We'll re-group, re-think and try again. :)

I think that 2 smallish dogs could be the answer, and depending on the house layout, if you have a tiled area at the back door maybe a dog flap.

The rescue route is perfect for you, you don't want a puppy in these circumstances, the rescue may even be able to provide you with an independent dog that is quite happy on its own. All dogs are different, some show no anxiety or problems with being left on their own, they entertain themselves and sleep - others can have terrible anxiety, barking, whining, chewing etc - again a rescue with a dog being fostered should be able to steer you towards the right dog.

best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Shazanne wrote: »
    I think you're on the right track when you say a dog "or two". I have two rescue dogs. I got Millie two years ago and, as we both work, I was upset at her being alone for extended periods of time. So, along came Max eight months ago! Now that she has Max, Millie loves her days outside and I don't feel that she's on her own. In the evening they come in and cuddle up together on the couch and then they snuggle together on their beds in the utility room at night.
    I really think that could be the answer to your problem and I think the rescue centre would agree.
    Best of luck and well done on rescuing a dog(s):)
    I'm in much the same boat as you, got my first fella about 1 1/2 years ago, then when me and my ex split up i got a second, to keep each other company. Both rescue dogs, he's a bit older (3 or 4) and she's only a pup but they get on great, and with my parents coming down to the house twice a week or so they have company during the day in each other and my folks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I would just encourage you not to give up and find a way/a rescue centre/a dog(s) who would be the right fit for you because you really do sound like you could give a dog/dogs a good home and more people like you are needed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I have to say that on the leaving them outside I don't see it as an issue at all. We leave Sindy and Fargo outside when we're not there, other that in the extremely cold, snowy weather. They would go mad inside. I do check regularly with neighbours and they are not nuisance barking. In good weather they lie up on the deck or on the patio, in bad they have a lovely wooden insulated house on the deck,

I agree with you, I leave my dog outside during the day and she is fine. As long as the garden is secure its grand.

This forum is a great resource for information and getting advice from experienced dog owners but I do worry that sometimes people who come on looking for advice might be put off getting a dog because of advice like "don't leave your dog outside" when 90% of people who leave their dogs in a secure garden dont' experience any problems.
    I think things like the dog will be stolen are waaaaaay more rare than one might think if you took everything on this forum literally :D

Thanks again to everyone.

What I've decided to do is wait until the end of May and start again. That way we'll have three months where my daughter will be off school which we can use to get a routine together involving a couple of other people.

Who knows, "our" dog may even still be available :)

Just because people were mentioning two dogs. There are two dogs looking to be homed together on the orchand sanctuary website.

I met a photographed the dogs myself and it was very difficult not to fall in love with them. Of course any rescue is a wonderful thing to do but I just thought I'd let people know

http://www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com/appeal.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

There are gorgeous! Greyhounds are so noble and distinguished looking! And they are so gentle and loving as well.
    I really, really hope they get a great new home together;)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Thanks again to everyone.

What I've decided to do is wait until the end of May and start again. That way we'll have three months where my daughter will be off school which we can use to get a routine together involving a couple of other people.

Who knows, "our" dog may even still be available :)

I think that's a great idea. You're dead right to give yourselves the time to get to know the dog and let the dog know you and get your routine going. It makes life so much easier for everyone, plus when you don't have to be racing out the door for school runs and busy schedules, it does make cleaning up accidents and sorting out dog mischief a lot less stressful!

Best of luck in finding the dog for you!

Advertisement