Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Larry Holmes

• 23-04-2014 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Saw a Ringside special with Larry Holmes there the other day; what do ye make of him?

He asserted several times throughout the show (jokingly but still serious) that he was the GOAT.

He seems like a likeable enough guy although he came off a tad bitter if you ask me - I'm wondering does he have reason to be bitter?

If he ever thought he was going to capture the love of the public the way Ali did he must have been totally deluded. He followed a legend and I guess he didn't get that he would never reach those same heights no matter how good he was

In terms of legacy/ranking among the greats I do think he's entitled to be a bit frustrated - 48 straight victories (only one short of Marciano's streak) against many worthy opponents, 20 successful title defenses and one of the best jabs seen in the sport.

Where does he rank among the greats for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Larry always seemed a bit bitter and jealous, but I guess following the greatest sportsman in history can be difficult. His mocking Marciano really didn't warm him to the public. Tries to play it down now but he meant what he said.

Quite an engaging and fluent guy, but a bit too much me me me. Reluctant to praises others. Barely had a decent word for Lennox Lewis and the jab. I would back Lewis to beat Holmes.

His skills and accomplishments rank him in my top ten. I see Tyson always beating Holmes. Had to laugh at Holmes saying that Tyson was a 4 rds fighter, yet Tyson went 12 several times and won convincingly. Tyson at peak was not just a banger.

He could damn well box. Holmes never beats Tyson. He hasn't the foot speed to avoid, nor the power to really discourage. The chin is solid, but not rock solid. Tyson wins on points or KO.

He spoke of Foreman too. That would have been a great fight. I have a feeling that as resilient as he was, he didn't have Ali's cuteness or chin. He wouldn't ride Foreman's power shots near as good. I see Foreman walking him down for a KO. Holmes could get a win, but I'd favor Foreman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

larry-holmes-flying-kick-o.gif

Advertisement