Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbed advice

Options
  • 22-04-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi All , if anyone here uses the stand up sunbeds could they advice me on what or how long to go on for first time user ? Skin isn't too pale just want a light tan all over but not too dark . Also do u need to moisturize before and after a session ?

Cheers

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Mikros

My advice would be to avoid them...

- People who have used a sunbed, even just once, have a 15% increased risk of melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer
    - If you first use a sunbed before you were 30 years of age, your risk of getting melanoma is increased by 75%
    - If you use a sunbed once a month or more, your risk of skin cancer may be increased by more than half

But if you are happy to accept the risks that is your own choice.

source

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

^^^ yep totally agree, cant believe with all the information about skin cancer thats out there people still want to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Yeah I fully understand the risks included . Which is why I will only be using them to build a small tan and not doing more than 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

A tan from two weeks on a bed isn't going to last. Why not get a spray tan?

A tan from two weeks on a bed isn't going to last. Why not get a spray tan?

Can u get a spray tan that's very light ? I'm a pure novice when it comes to this stuff

• Advertisement

Why do you need to build a tan? i dont understand the need people have to be brown.

viv2 wrote: »
    Why do you need to build a tan? i dont understand the need people have to be brown.

Because I'm going to a wedding over in Mexico and don't want to be the very pale just want a very light tan not too overboard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Because I'm going to a wedding over in Mexico and don't want to be the very pale just want a very light tan not too overboard

Dove self tanner gives a light buildable colour. Less than 4 euro a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shalclon

A nice glow looks very well so i totally understand why you want to tan.To build a nice light colour try dove summer glow.put it on every night and it slowly builds into lovely natural shade.

Luno wrote: »
    Dove self tanner gives a light buildable colour. Less than 4 euro a bottle!

Il be honest I tryed the graduater and it came out waaayyyyy too dark . Also can't reach places like my back so would be uneven :)

• Advertisement

There are hundreds of fake tans out there if you need to, you can do it yourself or go to a salon. You should be asking about them instead of sunbeds which have a huge health risk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moved to Beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Il be honest I tryed the graduater and it came out waaayyyyy too dark . Also can't reach places like my back so would be uneven :)

Trust me if you have a good routine of ex foliating, moisturising then applying some form of tan it'll work much better and can look as natural as any sun bed. With regards to reaching your back you'd be surprised how much you can stretch especially with a big mirror in front of you and a tanning mitt :)

I decided to do a Sunbed today . For 3 mins . How long does anyone know before I start to see results ?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I reckon it will take the full 2 weeks to build anything up. See how your skin is tomorrow and is it's not red and sore to touch you could go up to 4 mins. I only do them in the run up to my holiday (and if I have a particularly bad breakout). I start on 4 mins every second day and work it up to around 7 mins. The day I don't use the sunbed I use an intensive moisturiser.

JenL wrote: »
    I reckon it will take the full 2 weeks to build anything up. See how your skin is tomorrow and is it's not red and sore to touch you could go up to 4 mins. I only do them in the run up to my holiday (and if I have a particularly bad breakout). I start on 4 mins every second day and work it up to around 7 mins. The day I don't use the sunbed I use an intensive moisturiser.

Thank you :):) as I said before I don't want to turn too brown :):) il take ur advice thanks a mill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

:eek:

If you want to give your tan a bit of an extra oomph you could try one of the tan accelerators. They sell them in most sunbed places but you can get then much cheaper online or in Hairspray shops. Just make sure to apply before you head to the tanning shop so your skin has a chance to absorb the cream. At the minute I'm using the Protan Incredibly Black (purple bottle). Smells like sweets. (I'm not by any means dark/tanned yet but this stuff is great)

:eek:

Yep, if you go on too long you will burn, just like out in the sun!
    You have to build it up so 3/4 minutes to start works for me, then adding an extra minute now and again. I wouldn't go past 8 minutes as I only want a base so I don't burn on holidays.

Yep, if you go on too long you will burn, just like out in the sun!
    You have to build it up so 3/4 minutes to start works for me, then adding an extra minute now and again. I wouldn't go past 8 minutes as I only want a base so I don't burn on holidays.

Yeah I know people that go on 10 mins first time how that is alowed I don't know . The guy today said I can do 3-4 mins max as it's my first time . Yeah thanks for the advice great help :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Remember, you shouldn't use them EVERY day. You should leave 3 days between. You WONT have a tan in two weeks with this, but you won't be fish belly white either.

Also remember that this tan does NOT protect against sunburn, so when abroad in the sun, you will still need sun protection.

ravima wrote: »
    Remember, you shouldn't use them EVERY day. You should leave 3 days between. You WONT have a tan in two weeks with this, but you won't be fish belly white either.

Also remember that this tan does NOT protect against sunburn, so when abroad in the sun, you will still need sun protection.

Thanks :):) don't intend on doing everyday maybe every 2nd day maybe twice or 3 times a week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Unless you're donning a backless gown, Dave, your back shouldn't be a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Start low, on 3 minutes. If your feeling okay that evening ie. no redness then the next time move up to 4 mins, then up to 5 mins. If there's any redness or burning, take a break for a day or two and go back a minute. So if you were red after doing 4 mins, take a break then go back to 3 mins, then work your way up again. Depending on your tolerance and skin tone you can use them for up to 10 minutes at a time, just don't start at 10, start small.

You need to be using them every day or every second day for about a fortnight to see any difference.

Just be careful about burning and obviously don't use them if you have any dark moles.

They are obviously dangerous but if you use them sparingly and get checked out regularly you should be okay.

I'm not advocating their use, but I use them once yearly in the run up to my holiday and have regular skin check ups and I'm okay so far. Just mind yourself and you should be okay.

Advertisement