Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to buy a telescope but its hard to find the right one

Options
  • 21-04-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

I want to buy a telescope for observing space but after doing my research online I am more confused than ever. There is so many different types I am absolutely lost.

There seems to be a big push to sell motorised tracking telescopes but this is not what I want at all however, I would like a telescope that I can track the sky with precision using slight adjustment dials.

My budget would be 400 to 500 euro and although I am a newbie, I want something that I can use long term so it's important to have good equipment from the offset.
    I seen someone on boards bought this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056195492

This looks exactly what I want but the price is far below budget I am worried it is low quality or not powerful enough. When I search Amazon for example, all telescopes that appear to be 500 euro are all motorised with a tracking computer which is not what I want. I want to spend the dose on the scope itself and not the computing element.

Can anyone guid me or advise me of a good magnification telescope that is not mortised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I think you should look at dobsonian telescopes. You get a lot of glass for your money and theres no motors on the lower end of the price range.
    Astroshop and teleskop-express have good websites to get you up to speed on what you need to know. They sell everything up to the price of a house so you'll get a few lols at some of the higher end prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

Thank you for the reply.

My worry with the Dobsonian telescopes is that there is no fine tuning (precision) of the focal point.
    There's no rods to twist for minor movements of the telescope.

I mean, if the view is slightly off, a minor movement of the telescope (i.e 0.10 centimetre) would have a big affect on the position.

Is this even a problem or am I looking into this as being an issue whereas it's not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I believe the bearings are fairly well sorted now so small movements are easier than before. If you're after big magnification then you'd want to be getting an equatorially mounted scope.This doesn't have to mean goto either.
    I'm always nearly buying a telescope but with work/life/weather getting in the way i keep holding off. Some day eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

This one is a 130 as well, and can be got for 180 euro.
    http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Top-Sellers/Top-Selling-Telescopes/Skywatcher-Heritage-130P-FlexTube-Dobsonian-Telescope.html

I have it and its grand for seeing a little but of detail in Jupiter.

Advertisement