Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering or physics degree?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I have an interest in Physics and I was thinking of studying it at third level, but I'm not sure if I should just do an engineering course instead. Are engineering graduates more employable than physics graduates? What advantages does one have over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Engineering is a broad field. Is there any particular area you prefer?

I know quite a few physics graduates. In my experience, physics graduates tend to continue studies to phd level. This isn't common for engineers. The length of time you spend at uni may be something to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I have an interest in Physics and I was thinking of studying it at third level, but I'm not sure if I should just do an engineering course instead. Are engineering graduates more employable than physics graduates? What advantages does one have over the other?

Yes, Engineering degrees, in general, make more money.

If you are really torn between the two, get an Electrical Engineering degree. With the amount of Physics you will have to take, you may even get to double major.

Have you looked in to Chemical Engineering? How about Petroleum. You would be guaranteed a high paying job and a Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Manufacturing, Electrical, Mechanical and Chemical Engineers make more than Civil Engineers. At the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

This week I met with a HR manager from a large medical device company who can't get materials engineers. They need graduates who understand the chemistry of coatings, physics of fluid flow and the mechanical properties of metals and plastics. Civil Eng is oversupplied and Physics is generally too broad (I did Optoelectronics, Quantum theory in my final year but never used either since). Interesting, but no jobs.
    Just my two cents......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

con1982 wrote: »
    Manufacturing, Electrical, Mechanical and Chemical Engineers make more than Civil Engineers. At the moment

That's at the moment , after a 4 year degree that could have changed again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Something I noticed is there are a lot of courses designed for people with physics degrees to get qualified for electrical engineering. A graduate electronic engineer can be earning 30k straight out of college. No idea how much a physicist can get but a guy I know is emigrating to teach english after getting a degree in physics and spending awhile on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If you like physics and are interested in engineering, I'd go one step further and ask you what areas of physics do you enjoy? If its more the motion side of things, likes of newtons laws etc, then mechanical would be a good bet, similarly if the elec side interests you go down the elec engineering road.

Above all else I'll warn ya that you will need to be tidy enough at maths, engineering is as much about the application of maths as it is the application of science, and nomatter what engineering degree you do, maths will be the single subject you spend the most of time in lectures at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

A graduate electronic engineer can be earning 30k straight out of college.

If you see anywhere offering that salary let me know :D:D:D
    No idea how much a physicist can get but a guy I know is emigrating to teach english after getting a degree in physics and spending awhile on the dole.

You could always apply to CERN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If you see anywhere offering that salary let me know :D:D:D

You could always apply to CERN.[/QUOTE]

30k is what HR told us where Im currently working. May be only for those who did placement with them or rounding it up though.

I dont think Irish people can apply to CERN, we dont pay the membership fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

ted1 wrote: »
    That's at the moment , after a 4 year degree that could have changed again.

That's what everyone was saying 6 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

I am doing internships with a load of physics undergrads at the moment, and they say it is really common for them to enter the semiconductor area. They seem pretty intelligent to me and I can only fathom they will not have much trouble after college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

There is the old joke, 'what do you call a scientist with a job: : An engineer' ... just a joke, apologies to any scientists reading !

As an engineer you may certainly have more career options. Keep in mind too that engineering courses typically have tons of Physics content included.

The point made about maths above though cannot be stressed highly enough, I did Elec Eng myself and it contains an enormous amount of maths. Unless one is comfortable with math then I would stay clear of engineering.

If on the other hand a life in academia appeaks to you, then going down the pure Physics road could of course be interesting to you.

Advertisement