Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

from the look of the names, it's more in-line with my musical tastes than Phantom overall to be honest.

Nialler9 and Bodytonic/Pogo should be good additions, along with Derek Byrne's usual great mix of stuff.

hopefully the daytime playlist will be a bit more adventurous than Phantom's increasingly predictable mainstream indie.

who are "Paul and Johnny"? they should have had Richie Ryan and Richie McCormack doing that IMO, seeing as they've both done a similar show on Phantom...

pity about 4 hours of Joe. maybe he'll be less annoying without a sidekick to "play the fool" with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

I thought the idea was that Paul McLoone, Colm o'sullivan and maybe even Tom Dunne would get slots to boast the stations profile ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was led to believe that three presenters from Phantom would be retained - Joe Donnelly, Claire Beck and John Caddell, although I wondered did that exclude the weekends. In fact, Cathal Funge has been retained with a bigger remit than previously. Not only does he still present a late night show (no longer called Icon but maybe still Irish), but he will now do weekday breakfast. Also, still in the schedule is Derek Byrne, Kelly-Ann Byrne, Orlagh Donnelly and Nadine O'Regan. Less surprisingly, I suppose, the schedule includes the two "caretaker" presenters - Claire O'Dowd and Paul Donegan.

The lineup includes three presenters that were involved with Phantom as a pirate - Joe, Cathal and John Caddell. Cathal and John have an unbroken connection with Phantom from whenever they each joined the pirate to temporary licenses to Phantom 105.2. However, I see John is down to just one show now. It looks like he just about survived the cull. The biggest surprise is Cathal's schedule ( I thought he got the chop). Well done to him, but what was the logic there? This could be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Check out the colour-coding:
    txfmschedlue-703x505.png

Speculation here; but blue = live show, yellow = pre-recorded and pink = ???

I also note they've taken the unusual step of putting "Saturday morning Wake Up Zone" on Sunday, so still some tweaking to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

So this whole thing was just a way to constructively dismiss the two Richies???

This is nowhere near as bad as I expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I'd agree that this is better than I expected and could be better than Phantom after they started tinkering with their playlist and lineup. I'll miss Claire on my drive back home in the evenings but it looks like a good set of shows overall and it's nice to see Nialler get a show on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

txfmschedlue-703x505.png

Park Life is supposed to be a sports show, Pogo would be dance music and Set List is supposed to feature live sessions but I'm not sure what exactly they'd have in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The following are also gone: Ray McGowan, Laura Lee Conboy, Jack Hyland, Will St. Ledger, Charlotte Flood, Sinead Ni Churain and Eamon Fennell. I see that Dee Reddy is still there.

It does indeed seem like the main targets were the two Richies along with a number of once a week presenters, and poor Charlotte too.

When Phantom first started with its full license back in 2006, John Caddell was on nearly every night with some show or other. I think he was on seven nights for a bit. For the last few years, he has been on six days a week, thanks to Powerhouse on Sunday nights. Over the last couple of years, Claire Beck has been on six days a week, including her Sunday morning show. John will now be on for a couple of hours on a Sunday on TXFM, while Claire is going back to a reasonable five days a week.
    On the other hand, Cathal Funge is going from twice a week on Phantom to six times a week on TXFM - counting twice on one day.

Another thing I have noticed is Kelly-Ann Byrne's elevation. She was one of the most recent people to join Phantom and presented The Phantom Weekender on Saturday evenings/nights. It was largely disco-oriented. On TXFM, Kelly-Ann will be on five days a week.

there's also off-air staff who are gone too.

txfmschedlue.png

my guess:
    blue - playlisted, live
    yellow - unplaylisted (perhaps pre-recorded too?)
    pink - live, unplaylisted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭FledNanders

Not sorry to see the back of Eamon Fennell anyway - possibly the most unlistenable 'bants-master' I've ever heard

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Great to see Cathal Funge & Kelly-Anne Byrne given more exposure, they're excellent presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Phantom brand had become toxic. Even people who liked the station in the past had nothing good to say about it. The JNLR figures were dreadful, drastic actions were needed.

It's still hard to see where the new station will find an audience. The Phantom audience has gone elsewhere and it will be hard work to replace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

The following are also gone: Ray McGowan, Laura Lee Conboy, Jack Hyland, Will St. Ledger, Charlotte Flood, Sinead Ni Churain and Eamon Fennell. I see that Dee Reddy is still there.

It does indeed seem like the main targets were the two Richies along with a number of once a week presenters, and poor Charlotte too.

When Phantom first started with its full license back in 2006, John Caddell was on nearly every night with some show or other. I think he was on seven nights for a bit. For the last few years, he has been on six days a week, thanks to Powerhouse on Sunday nights. Over the last couple of years, Claire Beck has been on six days a week, including her Sunday morning show. John will now be on for a couple of hours on a Sunday on TXFM, while Claire is going back to a reasonable five days a week.
    On the other hand, Cathal Funge is going from twice a week on Phantom to six times a week on TXFM - counting twice on one day.

Another thing I have noticed is Kelly-Ann Byrne's elevation. She was one of the most recent people to join Phantom and presented The Phantom Weekender on Saturday evenings/nights. It was largely disco-oriented. On TXFM, Kelly-Ann will be on five days a week.

Lots of presenters are doing 6 day weeks, must be hard to get the money. I think that John does plenty of behind the scenes stuff there so he might have a day to day managerial role? or music programming? Not too much of a change really. Wonder how the music output will change.

Few of the Phantom staff are on here, so they might let us know.

The Colm O Sullivan/Tom Dunne talk was just a rumour started on here. Sure Colm is the new Assistant PD at Today FM now.

Not sure who a lot of the names are but I was never a huge Phantom fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Stars tomorrow, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

7mqWcW.jpg

TXFM, the new name and revised version of Phantom 105.2 is to launch tomorrow, Monday, March 31st 2014 at 8am.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/TXFM-Dublin/230862233766664
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/txfmdublin
    Ratecard: http://www.txfm.ie/content/011/downloads/txfm_sponsorships_2014.pdf
    Slogan: 'Dublin's New Music Source'
    ____

Well the day has finally come: TXFM is to take over from Phantom and launch tomorrow morning. It's still owned by Dublin Rock Radio Limited (the owner of Phantom), but it is under the wing of Today FM.

The rate card is up and running, the switchboard is still branded as the former station, and the owners are under pressure to turn around the ill-fated alternative rock service. There has been enough chops and changes, so it is not going to be easy. Will they ever regain the loyalty of listeners, and will they reach new heights?

What'll the first song be? No doubt it will be something specially selected to rouse listeners up. The last track (technically) was 'Revelate' by The Frames, ending with the lyrics "Redeem yourself", no less. If we are to take anything from that, we'll need something to counter it.

Tomorrow should be interesting. No doubt Nova will be listening also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

What'll the first song be?

This might be appropriate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

It is not going to increase listenership or make any money

Updated the post with the Facebook page and the slogan.

Apparently it is "TXFM - Dublin's New Music Source".

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Phantom lives on in my car

• Advertisement

And before the station that once was completely disappears from our airwaves, here are some nostalgic nuggets:

5EK4XZ.jpg
    - First day, prior to the live broadcast.
    What are your long-term objectives as a station?
    Our long term objectives are to secure a permanent sound broadcasting licence to provide a full time rock music service for Dublin, a station that will provide great rock music, valuable airplay for emerging local artists and affordable media space for businesses.

Ideally, where would you like the station to be in five years' time?
    The ideal scenario is that the station will be fully licensed and operating with a good staff and a decent board of directors and shareholders so that it's thriving as a radio station and as a viable business. I can't wait for the day when we're no longer looking over our shoulders wondering if we'll still be around after Sunday night.
    - Marketing Magazine interview, 2004.

7UYacX.jpg
    - Phantom after winning the PPI Radio Station of the Year award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ive been enjoyinh 105.2 the last week much more than phantom the last year. Amazing the difference the lack of U2/the killers and all the nonsense chatter does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

adamski8 wrote: »
    Ive been enjoyinh 105.2 the last week much more than phantom the last year. Amazing the difference the lack of U2/the killers and all the nonsense chatter does.

have to agree completely,

i've been listening to 105.2 an awful lot since phantom died and its been great, good music, no talk, no news and no "every day robots" muck !

if they kept it like that i'd be happy ! kinda like when the 80's only station was on which i think was just a guy streaming it from his pc ! :pac:

i don't know what to expect from "txfm" , i could've sworn today fm tried something like this before ?

but can only see and find out how it goes, hopefully well !

yep, 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know if txfm will still have phantom's slot on upc (935)?

Oh they seem to and guess what they're now playing Primal Scream's Come Together, the song I always associate with Phantom from the pirate days. Might give this a listen tomorrow morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Best of luck to them. Will give it a listen when I get closer to Dublin tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

have to agree completely,

i've been listening to 105.2 an awful lot since phantom died and its been great, good music, no talk, no news and no "every day robots" muck !

if they kept it like that i'd be happy ! kinda like when the 80's only station was on which i think was just a guy streaming it from his pc ! :pac:

i don't know what to expect from "txfm" , i could've sworn today fm tried something like this before ?

but can only see and find out how it goes, hopefully well !
    You have to wonder why they have to pay presenters/pproduction/researcherd etc for their manure talk. Just hire 1 person to set up a playlist and someone to sort the advertising and bam a good cost effective station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

First song was a bit underwhelming. Heard it a few times during the week anyway,

Primal Scream - movin on up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Great to hear decent music without the stupid jokes and chatter on 105.2 fm again in the mornings.

Advertisement