Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb - major expansion?

Options
  • 15-08-2005 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Digiweb's John Quinn had a long, soft interview on the morning RTE business news earlier. Did not hear all of it but it sounds like Digiweb are planning a major roll out of voice products this autumn. Edit: You can listen to the interview by playing back the business news clip from here

This release on the RTE website only gives a fraction of the detail and there is no further info on the Digiweb site yet so far as I can see.

Can anyone cast any light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Heard that too. They're going into Dublin now it seems and are talking about 70% coverage upon initial roll-out. They've stayed away from Dublin until now, so it looks like they may be going head to head with IBB. Not sure what they're using technology wise though.

See this from their last release:
    Note to editors: Digiweb's Next Generation Network is one of the most advanced wireless networks in the world. The result of over a year of research and development between Digiweb and leading wireless manufacturers, the network innovatively combines a number of established technologies to deliver a new telecoms infrastructure with capabilities exceeding that of current platforms. The new network is highly scaleable and flexible, and will support other emerging industry innovations such as WiMAX. Digiweb will shortly provide details of initial launch locations, and by the end of 2005 will have over 70% population coverage. The network supports Voice, ultra high-speed Internet, High definition Digital TV and more.

Digiweb have no reliance on eircom or local loop unbundling to launch this network.

I like the last line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Are Digiweb not plagued with the same sort of problems as IBB? I could be mistaken but I thought I had read several bad reviews of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No. IBB are uniquely crap in every way .

The other WISPs in Ireland provide (or try to provide) a consistent service as promised but with wireless installs there are always a a few probs....like leaves growing on trees when you are not looking and stuff :) .

I suspect that Digiweb are not announcing any new tech but are rolling out sales offices and support/installation teams for the schools project .

If they are really on the ball they will have headhunted Watty for their Limerick office .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Here's more: http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9630857.html

They're talking about being a broadband wholesaler.

It is becoming more dramatic by the nth iteration is it not. ???? . The RTE report this morning reported 60 jobs but that was pretty much it. That ENN report is not the usual ENN rewrite but a genuine interview with Digiweb , I can't wait to hear the Silicon Republic variant :)

I am especially intrigued by this bit of the ENN interview.

<from>

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9630857.html
    "We are going to roll out our new service in Dublin and a number of other large cities around the country, all on the same day," said Quinn. "We expect our service to completely change the Irish broadband market and surprise our competitors."

The only thing I can think of that is all of doable, enterable into and wholesaleable is Wireless Ethernet , something like maybe http://www.dragonwaveinc.com/products.asp or http://www.terabeam.com/solutions/index.php but there are various suppliers of this kind of gear out there so I am not sure which one they are planning on using and what spectrum they will use as a consequence , it could be anywhere between 6Ghz and 30Ghz but will most likely be between 15Ghz and 30Ghz .

The large cities (referred to in the quote) generally have MANs , Smart has failed miserably to sell on the MANs despite having the capacity to so do for over a year so the big glaring missing link in the Irish Market is not an ADSL player over LLU but a Metro Ethernet provider offering end to end Ethernet .

Digiweb never did one inch of digging in their entire lives so why would it be copper or fibre now :) ?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

damien.m wrote:
    Here's more: http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9630857.html

They're talking about ...
    And how big are their satellite dreams in all of this?
    Back in June, Digiweb acquired the satellite broadband business of Italian telecom Tiscali for an undisclosed sum. Quinn said that once its new model has proven successful in the Irish market, the firm will roll it out in other markets such as Italy and emerging markets such as South America.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

If you have a look at their website and check vacancies, they look to be in the middle of a major expansion, reading between the lines

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Digiweb never did one inch of digging in their entire lives so why would it be copper or fibre now :) ?????
    It is wireless according to their press release here
    The new network is highly scaleable and flexible, and will support other emerging industry innovations such as WiMAX. Digiweb will shortly provide details of initial launch locations, and by the end of 2005 will have over 70% population coverage. The network supports Voice, ultra high-speed Internet, High definition Digital TV and more.

Advertisement