Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The problem with public transport in Dublin.

• 24-05-2013 2:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The major problem with public transport in Dublin is it's lack of integrated ticketing.

A friend of mine started a new job recently and it perfectly illustrates the issue.

By far the fastest way for him to get to his job is:

- Dublin Bus into town
    - Luas to Heuston
    - Train From Heuston to Park West

However instead he only takes Dublin Bus as it is much cheaper then taking three different modes of transport, but he ends up 30 to 60 minutes longer commuting by DB alone.

This just shouldn't happen in a modern big city public transport system.

There should be only one cost to get from A to B, no matter how many trains, trams or buses you take.

I think we desperately need to sort this ticketing mess and implement something like the per km ticketing system used in Amsterdam.

Until then, public transport in Dublin will remain a mess.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bk wrote: »
    The major problem with public transport in Dublin is it's lack of integrated ticketing.

A friend of mine started a new job recently and it perfectly illustrates the issue.

By fr the fastest way for him to get to his job is:

- Dublin Bus into town
    - Luas to Heuston

However instead he only takes Dublin Bus as it is much cheaper then taking three different modes of transport, but he ends up 30 to 60 minutes longer commuting by DB alone.

There should be only one cost to get from A to B, no matter how many trains, trams or buses you take.

I think we desperately need to sort this ticketing mess and implement something like the per km ticketing system used in Amsterdam.

Wasn't the Leap card supposed to provide this kind of integration across public transport operators?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Wasn't the Leap card supposed to provide this kind of integration across public transport operators?

I'd say supposed to is the key phrase there considering the massive thread of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Me: Hello, I'd like to purchase a monthly ticket using my visa debit or credit card please.
    Irish rail: Certainly, you can use or automated ticketing machine over there.
    Me: I can't find the monthly Rail & Luas ticket on the machine.
    Irish rail: Ok, we don't sell those types of monthly tickets in the machine.
    Me: No problem, can I buy it from you?
    Irish rail: Of course, that will be €160.
    Me: Here's my card/
    Irish rail: I'm sorry, we only take cash here.
    Me: ?????????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'd say supposed to is the key phrase there considering the massive thread of issues.

Yes and Leap has not been released to the public for that long and Oyster had many issues in it's first couple of years as well and was by no means as bug free as the system is these days in London and a lot of the features that people now take for granted were not rolled out for years after it was launched.

Also in London there is proper integrated transport with everything coming under the umbrella of Transport for London rather than many different entities that we have here, all of which have their own requirements, request and looking after their own interesting, which means that it's much harder to implement a solution everyone is happy with.

Transport for London had everything underneath it on an Umbrella and has been for some time. With Ireland we've only recently established Transport for Ireland and are in the process of bringing such separate companies under that umbrella, something that didn't happen in London since such structure was already in place.

I know that it's not an ideal situation, but the transport infrastructure and the way the whole system is designed here makes it a hell of a lot more difficult to put a solution in place quickly and easily than it does in other cities where there is more co-operation and joint goals rather than in Dublin where DB, Luas, BE and IR have different needs and wants to satisfy themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Me: Hello, I'd like to purchase a monthly ticket using my visa debit or credit card please.
    Irish rail: Certainly, you can use or automated ticketing machine over there.
    Me: I can't find the monthly Rail & Luas ticket on the machine.
    Irish rail: Ok, we don't sell those types of monthly tickets in the machine.
    Me: No problem, can I buy it from you?
    Irish rail: Of course, that will be €160.
    Me: Here's my card/
    Irish rail: I'm sorry, we only take cash here.
    Me: ?????????
    oh come now, you don't expect technology like that here in 1990 do you.....oh, hang on a sec....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

- Dublin Bus into town
    - Luas to Heuston

There is a monthly/annual Bus/LUAS/Rail combined taxsaver ticket that covers such a journey. Has your friend checked that out?

Such a model as you seek simply is not going to happen here due to the funding model decided upon by our elected government. I would love to see a zonal system with zonal multi-mode fares that are identical but no one has the political nerve to do it, because it would cost more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lxflyer wrote: »
    There is a monthly/annual Bus/LUAS/Rail combined taxsaver ticket that covers such a journey.

But it still costs a lot more then the monthly bus only taxsaver ticket.
    Such a model as you seek simply is not going to happen here due to the funding model decided upon by our elected government. I would love to see a zonal system with zonal multi-mode fares that are identical but no one has the political nerve to do it, because it would cost more.

I'm not sure it would cost significantly more. After all most people would still only be taking one mode typically.

If most other european countries can do it, I really don't see why we can't too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

if the buses arrived on time would be a start

LEAP again for the umpteenth time is not designed for daily commuters as such (with the exception of short distance commuting). They are catered for by the existing range of prepaid period passes.

LEAP, initially, facilitates occasional users of single mode journeys, and will, in time as the succeeding phases are rolled out:
    1) Facilitate one day and weekly ticket single mode users through capping
    2) Hold monthly and annual period passes for all modes
    3) Facilitate occasional multi-mode journey users
    4) Facilitate one day and weekly multi-mode users through capping

All of this is a phased process and people need to be patient. Single mode capping across IE, DB and LUAS will be in place this year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Single mode capping across IE, DB and LUAS will be in place this year.

And has been pointed out, single mode capping is almost useless on IE and Luas, they don't have a wide enough network.

What is badly needed, amongst other things is multmode capping.

• Advertisement

But it still costs a lot more then the monthly bus only taxsaver ticket.

I'm not sure it would cost significantly more. After all most people would still only be taking one mode typically.

If most other european countries can do it, I really don't see why we can't too.

That then boils down to how much your friend values his/her spare time. Personally paying an additional €34 a month would be preferable to spending an additional 60 minutes per day travelling.

We are not most European countries, and frankly comparing the Irish economy to the continent is pointless. The closest economy in terms of similarity is that of the UK, and I'm afraid that you need to realise that. Most European countries have completely different transport funding models and far lower costs of living for a start.

Given all multi-mode tickets are priced at a higher level than single mode tickets, there would be a revenue shortfall - hence the additional cost. And there are no signs in my opinion of any potential massive shift from car users to multi-mode transport to make up that shortfall in farebox funding.

As I say, I would love to see it happen, but I'm realistic enough to know that it won't. Irish politicians just don't understand public transport as Conway365 has opined here on several occasions.

And has been pointed out, single mode capping is almost useless on IE and Luas, they don't have a wide enough network.

What is badly needed, amongst other things is multmode capping.

And that will come in a later phase.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

- Dublin Bus into town
    - Luas to Heuston

Am I the only one who sees the lack of Dart Underground the larger issue and integrated ticketing a side issue which will or at least is due to be fixed in the near future?

Also: where is the friend coming from?

No you are not Monument.

The ticketing will happen over time - I would be far more concerned about the stalling of the big ticket projects.

monument wrote: »
    Am I the only one who sees the lack of Dart Underground the larger issue and integrated ticketing a side issue which will or at least is due to be fixed in the near future?

Also: where is the friend coming from?

The North side of the city.

And no DART Underground wouldn't radically change this. Yes if DU existed then he would only have to take two, DB into town and then Dart to park west.

But a more then 2 billion solution isn't needed for this problem. More then adequate public transport already exists for his journey, it is just that it ends up being too costly as he has to buy three separate tickets for the fastest journey time.

I would argue that Dublin would benefit far more from through A to B style integrated ticketing then DU. Even if it meant the government giving a ring fenced extra subsidy to pay for it, I'm sure it would cost a fraction of DU.

The North side of the city.

And no DART Underground wouldn't radically change this. Yes if DU existed then he would only have to take two, DB into town and then Dart to park west.

But a more then 2 billion solution isn't needed for this problem. More then adequate public transport already exists for his journey, it is just that it ends up being too costly as he has to buy three separate tickets for the fastest journey time.

I would argue that Dublin would benefit far more from through A to B style integrated ticketing then DU. Even if it meant the government giving a ring fenced extra subsidy to pay for it, I'm sure it would cost a fraction of DU.

That simply isn't going to happen.

That simply isn't going to happen.

And it is exactly that sort of negative thinking that seems to be so prevalent at CIE, it's management and many of it's employees.

Don't introduce truly integrated ticketing, it might negatively effect the fare box.

Don't introduce flat fares, it might negatively effect the fare box.

No thought to the fact that making public transport simpler and more attractive to use might actually attract more people to public transport and thus increased revenue.

No, much better to stick to the same old ticketing system and just increase ticketing prices every year. That will certainly attract more people to public transport :rolleyes:

And it has worked so well for the CIE companies so far, just look at how profitable they are and how passenger numbers are increasing, NOT!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The northside is a big place... Where abouts? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

- Dublin Bus into town
    - Luas to Heuston

Public transport in Dublin is a mess because your friend chooses the bus because its cheaper ??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

And it is exactly that sort of negative thinking that seems to be so prevalent at CIE, it's management and many of it's employees.

Don't introduce truly integrated ticketing, it might negatively effect the fare box.

No thought to the fact that making public transport simpler and more attractive to use might actually attract more people to public transport and thus increased revenue.

No, much better to stick to the same old ticketing system and just increase ticketing prices every year. That will certainly attract more people to public transport :rolleyes:

And it has worked so well for the CIE companies so far, just look at how profitable they are and how passenger numbers are increasing, NOT!

There are a couple of caveats,but I do have broad agreement with bk's pov here.

There is,I feel,currently an undue focus on the theory and practice of staff cutbacks,service reductions,service cuts and all the attendant negativity.

As an employee of over 30 years standing,I feel the present recessive atmosphere to be the worst I can recall.
    It is all pervasive and,I suggest,far more damaging to the groups future than any other element.

For example,my own employer Dublin Bus,has serious issues regarding Revenue Loss,both from lack of business and from widespread abuse of both it's cash-fare system and it's Free Travel Scheme elements.

All through the long negotiation process with employee representatives,the issue of falling revenue arises continually,with the latest round seeing it now becoming a contributory factor in seeking wage and condition reductions across the group.

I would accept that in the real world,a significant drop in revenue has to impact upon the greater workforce eventually.

However what I find somewhat difficult to fathom is the current long-running absence of Revenue Control on BAC services.

The presence of Revenue Teams has far more significance than merely the monitoring of revenue,as it also sends out a very strong and clear message about the companies self-regard for it's own systems and infrastructure.

Currently,the message appears to be "we don't give a toss about our services" and you are free to treat the entire system with as much disdain and ill-will as you can muster.

Allied to this,is an equally remarkable lack of willingness to try and regain some of the lost business through targeted or system wide promotions.

For example,get the NTA/Leapcard on board for a €1.40 Flat-Fare Weekend.

Whilst leaving the cash-fares as normal,cap the Leapcard Fare at €1.40 per journey for the weekend.

With adequate pre-publicity,I contend this would have a two-pronged positive outcome of increasing total weekend ridership and,perhaps more importantly,give a very strong boost to Leapcard circulation..

OR,sticking with Weekend use,market a substantially reduced Weekend Family Rambler Ticket at c.€8.00 for BOTH Sat and Sun.

Similarly,weekend NiteLinks need to be relaunched,with perhaps a 2 for €8 Ticket Offer (2-4-8) or Half Price Prepaid Nitelink if a €2.80 cash ticket is exchanged at Point of Purchase ?

With the advent of Contactless Ticketing,these types of initiatives are now much easier to devise and impliment,but within our Group,BAC in particular appear loath to try new or unusual ticketing experiments.

It's not as if BAC has nobody to do the stuff,it's more a question of how the company percieves it's Marketing Department should be involving itself with the customer base,actual and intended.

For example,the company's sponsorship of Africa Day,although well intentioned and a positive "Good News" story,would not IMO,result in a widespread uptake of our core services.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Dublin-Bus-is-Proud-Sponsor-of-Africa-Day-Dublin/

The longer running involvement in the Niall Quinn DB Community Spirit Awards is also,perhaps,an area where resources whose use would be more beneficially targetted on front-line operations are used on a wide-focus social programme.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Niall-Quinn-and-DEBRA-Ireland-call-on-Dublins-Voluntary-Groups-to-apply-to-Dublin-Bus-Community-Spirit-Awards/

I would contend that if funding such initiatives is to be an integral part of the companys operations,then doing this,at arms length,through the major charities would be more effective in resource utilization terms.

I am not suggesting that DB become a cold and aloof entity,however under the present arrangements,there is now the reality of a radically altered operating environment,which regards revenue far more importantly than heretofore.

What concerns me most,however,is the strong and recurring message that service reductions and cutbacks are the only way forward.

I differ here,and instead suggest that we need to,at least attempt to get,some Pzazz into getting more Bums On Our Seats.

With a customer base of c.240,000 per day using our services,I think it's time to practice a bit of active yield management.

There's no guarantee of success,but I believe the CIE Group really needs to shake itself free from the Government Department steady pair of hands syndrome,which values inertia above so much else.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

bk I am just simply being realistic here.

Politicians just don't get public transport. It's a necessary evil but not one they have any real interest in.

Coming up with all these wonderful ideas is great on paper, but once they understand that it will involve more money they just simply are not interested.

Ultimately any decision regarding the fare / funding structure in this city is a political one and if you cannot see that, then frankly you are very naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

There are multiple problems. I am not absolving CIE for one minute, and its taken me years to reach this conclusion. The core problem is the abuse and overuse of the Free Travel pass scheme. This is crucial to ANY reform. If this is reformed, and restructured, the CIE Group can be put on a financially sustainable path.

The rest will logically follow. After that, restructuring CIE is the next step.

What concerns me most,however,is the strong and recurring message that service reductions and cutbacks are the only way forward.

and in-conjunction with ever increasing fare rises.

Which just drives more passengers away to bike/car and thus creates a vicious circle of more cutbacks and fare increases.

You are right, the CIE companies need to make a big effort to attract bums back on seats and yes that means the marketing department focusing on figuring out what ticket strategy's will get people on board, not some stupid ad campaigns and sponsorship.

This is a big mistake people make about marketing, in some companies the marketing department simply does advertising and PR. But in really successful companies the marketing department play a much more key role, actually being responsible for the development of new products, researching what the customer wants, developing products to match those customer needs and then promoting them.

The promotion and advertising is usually only the last and least important step.

There is no point in just having general TV and radio ads for Dublin Bus, etc. that isn't going to attract anyone. Instead develop some exciting new product, for instance Alex's idea of a weekend flat fare promotion and then promote that.

I think a weekend flat fare promotion is a fantastic idea, it might also help figure out if a flat fare all the time might actually drive take up and actually find to be fare box positive as it has been found to be in other countries where it was tried.

Another good example of this sort of thing, is Luas's kids go free at the weekend promotion they are currently running or Irish Rails student intercity promotion and €99 family intercity ticket.

But in the case of DB, i think something a little more radical is needed, like a test of flat fares and truly integrated ticketing.

Dermo I also agree that the biggest problem facing public transport is the complete disaster of the free travel scheme. I'm increasingly coming to the opinion that it needs to be scrapped completely, who is entitled to it carefully considered and instead a system of half price or quarter price tickets introduced. I agree that this would likely put public transport back on a firm footing and then the other significant problems can be tackled:

- Dwell times of Dublin Bus, move to flat fare and multi-door operations
    - Truly A to B integrated ticketing.
    Public transport in Dublin is a mess because your friend chooses the bus because its cheaper ??????

It isn't the worst thing, the free travel scheme is, but it is a strong indication of the entirely un-integrated nature of public transport in Dublin. It simply wouldn't happen in most other European cities.

A person shouldn't be forced to pay over double the cost to take the fastest route!

Advertisement