Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quck question about the best service from Dublin to Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I'm not biased against rail in the slightest. What I am biased against is ridiculous rip-off fares and the generally poor service that you get with IÉ.

I just got notice of a family party in Cork tomorrow (Friday) night. I got a quote of €78.98 return to travel on Irish Rail, GoBÉ is a massive €56.98 cheaper than IÉ at €22 return!!! How can IÉ justify such a fare difference for a service that is only marginally faster than the bus??

On a side note, how many 37gram bags of Tayto can one buy for €56.98 :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BenShermin wrote: »
    I'm not biased against rail in the slightest. What I am biased against is ridiculous rip-off fares and the generally poor service that you get with IÉ.

I just got notice of a family party in Cork tomorrow (Friday) night. I got a quote of €78.98 return to travel on Irish Rail, GoBÉ is a massive €56.98 cheaper than IÉ at €22 return!!! How can IÉ justify such a fare difference for a service that is only marginally faster than the bus??

On a side note, how many 37gram bags of Tayto can one buy for €56.98 :)?

2ZPXC.png

156 of them.

And that price is travelling on short notice, better fares by booking in advance which for whatever reason is less of a saving with the coaches.

Sorry, I was bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I've put up many examples of IÉs advance fares on this forum over the last few weeks. The cheapest fares are still double the price of the bus unfortunately.

Thanks for the Tayto price btw. I'll need another notch in the belt it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Just off to bed, sounds like my record player is broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Tayto? King crisps is better value and taste nicer on the way to Cork.
    King is what you eat when they are out of Tayto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Back on topic please - mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

monument wrote: »
    Back on topic please - mod.

Please guys. We are going around in onion rings here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

My personal preference for long distance travel would be the train ALWAYS, the price doesnt put me off train journeys, what puts me off the road is if i wanted to go somewhere on the road I could just get a lift, plus I find 99% of train journeys pleasant and comfortable plus my 5 year old son has turned into a little train enthuisast! But thats my own personal preference and dont begrudge soomeone for having an opposite view and keep in mind its alot different if you are commuting for work or leisure, generally i commute for the later reason. But I think the constant fighting between bus and rail fans is not constructive as they OP just wants an impartial answer and to the point.

Advertisement