Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arriving in Connolly with online ticket: travelling on to Pearse

• 09-05-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to travel by tain into Connolly on an "intercity" service, and then onwards to Pearse, fast.

I'll arrive, hopefully, at 0847 into Connolly, and I know there's a southbound DART at 0851 and another at 0855.

If I buy a cheaper online ticket, it will be to Connolly, not to Pearse.

Question: does this mean I must walk through the main gates, away from the DART platforms, find a TVM, buy a Connolly-Pearse ticket, go back through the gates, walk along the normal platforms, then turn left for the DART platforms??

Or can I walk straight from the arriving intercity train to the DART platforms and buy the ticket there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Geuze wrote: »
    I would like to travel by tain into Connolly on an "intercity" service, and then onwards to Pearse, fast.

I'll arrive, hopefully, at 0847 into Connolly, and I know there's a southbound DART at 0851 and another at 0855.

Question: does this mean I must walk through the main gates, away from the DART platforms, find a TVM, buy a Connolly-Pearse ticket, go back through the gates, walk along the normal platforms, then turn left for the DART platforms??

Or can I walk straight from the arriving intercity train to the DART platforms and buy the ticket there?

When you order your ticket online, simply select Pearse as your destination station and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Where are you coming from? most trains will travel to Pearse anyway can you give us more details on where your comign from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

When you order your ticket online, simply select Pearse as your destination station and you will be fine.
    I didn't think you could buy a ticket online that wasn't inter city to inter city. :confused:
    I tried it there and (for example) Sligo to Connolly is fine but Sligo to Pearse is not available to purchase online.

I've noticed this for other commuter stations as well, seems a joke there is no online for shorter journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Sorry delete this one, didn't read it properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I didn't think you could buy a ticket online that wasn't inter city to inter city. :confused:
    I tried it there and (for example) Sligo to Connolly is fine but Sligo to Pearse is not available to purchase online.

I've noticed this for other commuter stations as well, seems a joke there is no online for shorter journeys.

I think Sligo to City Centre might come up as an option? This allows you in Heuston (for Cork/Galway/Limerick services) to get a bus/luas connection to the city centre or from Connolly to use Pearse or Tara. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

I think Sligo to City Centre might come up as an option? This allows you in Heuston (for Cork/Galway/Limerick services) to get a bus/luas connection to the city centre or from Connolly to use Pearse or Tara. I could be wrong though.
    It's given as a destination but is not available online and its down as a bus journey form Connolly to city centre
    Looks like you would need to buy a DART ticket at your home station before you get on the inter city train, if they sell them.

The thing i find strange is that I can buy online from Dublin to Sligo, weeks in advance, but if I want to go Connolly to Collooney or Boyle, etc, I can only buy in advance over the phone or by going to Connolly, its not very efficient for IR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Pearse is further and it would be the same price anyway. You just get off the Sligo train in Connolly and get on the next dart to pearse. Your ticket wont work in the barrier but you just show it to the chap at the barrier.

It's given as a destination but is not available online and its down as a bus journey form Connolly to city centre
    Looks like you would need to buy a DART ticket at your home station before you get on the inter city train, if they sell them.

The thing i find strange is that I can buy online from Dublin to Sligo, weeks in advance, but if I want to go Connolly to Collooney or Boyle, etc, I can only buy in advance over the phone or by going to Connolly, its not very efficient for IR.

Have the site open now and i can buy a ticket if i want to Boyle tomorrow online.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Have the site open now and i can buy a ticket if i want to Boyle tomorrow online.
    I see that - you definitely couldn't earlier :confused:
    Messing around with other locations there are no commuter tickets available online and some intercity routes. EG Drogheda to Dundalk is not available online whereas Dublin to Belfast using the same train and stops is available.
    Pearse is further and it would be the same price anyway. You just get off the Sligo train in Connolly and get on the next dart to pearse. Your ticket wont work in the barrier but you just show it to the chap at the barrier.
    What about Sandymount?, Blackrock? Bray? Are they all allowed, surely at some stage you are travelling without a ticket and liable to be fined.

I see that - you definitely couldn't earlier :confused:
    Messing around with other locations there are no commuter tickets available online and some intercity routes. EG Drogheda to Dundalk is not available online whereas Dublin to Belfast using the same train and stops is available.

What about Sandymount?, Blackrock? Bray? Are they all allowed, surely at some stage you are travelling without a ticket and liable to be fined.

Pearse would be the limit. When you buy online, you get allocated a seat. There is no way of doing this on the commuter trains at present. Its the reason that you cant reserve on some trains to Wexford and Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Pearse would be the limit. When you buy online, you get allocated a seat. There is no way of doing this on the commuter trains at present. Its the reason that you cant reserve on some trains to Wexford and Sligo.

A completely ridiculous reason this day and age. There's many commuter trains in the UK where you can't reserve a seat either, however you're still able to book a place on the train, you're just not guaranteed a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Online tickets from Sligo for 30 + 3 fees only allow you to choose Dublin or Dublin Connolly as a destination.

The normal day return fare is 36 - sure I may as well forget about the online fares.

I will buy a Sligo - Pearse at the ticket office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Daemonic

It may not be an option if you have lots of luggage but it's only about a 10 minute walk from Connolly to Pearse. Could save a lot of worry over making connections etc.

Online tickets from Sligo for 30 + 3 fees only allow you to choose Dublin or Dublin Connolly as a destination.

The normal day return fare is 36 - sure I may as well forget about the online fares.

I will buy a Sligo - Pearse at the ticket office.

Your ticket covers you to Pearse, allow a bit more time to get over to the Dart to Pearse as the Sligo train may arrive on platform 1 and its a bit of a walk from there over to plat 5 and 6. You dont have to go through the barriers except in Pearse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pearse would be the limit.

After Sydney Parade *used* to be where Maynooth->elsewhere tickets bounced to the next rate up, has this changed?

Dont follow you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If the ticket says Dublin Connolly regardless of whether the fare is the same to somewhere down the line, its only valid to Dublin Connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

MYOB wrote: »
    After Sydney Parade *used* to be where Maynooth->elsewhere tickets bounced to the next rate up, has this changed?

Connolly, Tara and Pearse are considered the one station from a billing perspective. If you have a ticket to any one of these it will work in the other two.

If the ticket says Dublin Connolly regardless of whether the fare is the same to somewhere down the line, its only valid to Dublin Connolly
    and Tara and Pearse.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Connolly, Tara and Pearse are considered the one station from a billing perspective. If you have a ticket to any one of these it will work in the other two.

Ticket wont work in the barriers but like you said still valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

^ It will work in barriers, I've often used tickets that said connolly at tara st or pearse.

^ It will work in barriers, I've often used tickets that said connolly at tara st or pearse.

Strange that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not true.

You can use an Intercity ticket to Connolly from either the Sligo line or Belfast line to Tara St or Pearse, provided you are making a direct connection from that service. Just show it at the barrier. That has been the case since time immemorial.

All three stations are "Dublin" and are treated as one for ticketing purposes.

Posting misinformation like this really is not helpful.

Strange that one.

Same here. Doesn't really matter which of the three my ticket is "valid" to, it works in them all.

Put it like this, ive seen people trying to go through barriers with a different destination on it and the barrier just refuses it.
    Destinations being the likes of Drumcondra, Tara St and pearse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I can confirm that having a ticket to Connolly is valid and works in the barriers at Tara St and Pearse if coming from the Northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

would you not be just as well to walk from Connolly rather than waiting for a DART? it's not much more than a 10 minute walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Well for some people it might be more than a 10 minute walk I guess. To each their own like.

Put it like this, ive seen people trying to go through barriers with a different destination on it and the barrier just refuses it.
    Destinations being the likes of Drumcondra, Tara St and pearse.
    Drumcondra isn't one of the trinity of stations that are considered city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

OP, even if you don't believe the posters here who are telling you tickets to Connolly are valid to Tara St. and Pearse (and you should), you've answered your own question here.

If there's an option on the website to book your ticket to 'Dublin', as opposed to 'Dublin Connolly', such an option exists precisely for people who want to get to Tara St. or Pearse but aren't sure if they can do so with 'Connolly' printed on their ticket. Book that, or if you're still not convinced, just ring Irish Rail to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

would you not be just as well to walk from Connolly rather than waiting for a DART? it's not much more than a 10 minute walk.

Other factors such as luggage, small children, arriving at night, not being sure where Pearse is, etc could make walking less attractive.

Advertisement