Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reposessing a car

Options
  • 14-11-2011 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

I transferred a car to my wife as part of a separation agreement can the bank take the car or will they come after me as i have the loan in my name

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Post moved to a new thread.

Please don't drag up 5 year old threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

They will come after you for the money owed or take the car off your ex. Any finance due will be due to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

-Corkie- wrote: »
    They will come after you for the money owed or take the car off your ex. Any finance due will be due to you.

I would agree with this however if the car was granted to the wife as part of a settlement agreement, it would be looked upon very poorly and I would assume she could insist on it being replaced at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

mickdw wrote: »
    -Corkie- wrote: »

I would agree with this however if the car was granted to the wife as part of a settlement agreement, it would be looked upon very poorly and I would assume she could insist on it being replaced at your expense.

Was it yours to transfer in the first place is it a loan or HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say it all depends on if it was his car in the first place and if the finance was secured on it or not and if it was a HP loan. If it was HP the bank will seize it from your wife as it was not yours to transfer but it's possible depending on the % owed that you may be able to make a settlement with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I though you can't sell on cars, which still got outstanding finance on them?
    Does not bank still own it?

I think they will come after you op and take car off your ex misses. I can see quite a huge **** storm in the future op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

OSI wrote: »
    Unless the loan was secured against the car as part of the terms, the bank cannot seize it. And unless it was a HP agreement, the buyer owns the car and can sell it on as they please.
    Correct. Unless it is on HP there is very little that can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minibusman

thanks all its on a HP Agreement so not sure whats going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So was this car looked upon & treated as an asset when the agreement was being drawn up. If there was a hp agreement on it and much of the value of the car still owed, it wasnt an asset at all.
    I figure you will now have to provide this car or similar for the wife.

Advertisement