Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone own a Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol 2008???????

• 14-11-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Just lookin for some advice here. I am considering buying a 1.6 Mondeo Petrol. I do roughly between 5-6 thousand miles a year on short jounneys. My commutes to work, creche, gym shops etc are no longer than 10 mins in traffic or backroads. Hence I dont think a diesel car is appropriate....????

With 2 kids room is important so the Mondeo 1.6 petrol hatch seems a good candidate, however I have been reading that they are very heavy on petrol due to the large body and only 110 bhp. I imagine that this would be particularly true over short trips like mine. Havent really looked at any alternatives as there seems to be good value out there at the moment for 1.6 petrol mondeos.

So can anyone give me a first hand account of how their 1.6 performs petrol wise over short journies? Afraid that Ill trade in my 1.8 s40 and realise that the mondeo will be a guzzler in comparison....

Any advice welcome....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Hi
    I have one about 6 months now. I do about 10k miles a year.
    I basically bought it for space- have 2 young kids.
    The boot is enormous and fits buggies and lots more no problems.

It is underpowered but that doesn't bother me.
    Petrol wise I don't find it bad, not sure of mpg as I never took a reading but I'm not putting any more petrol in per week as I was with my previous car, 3 series BMW.
    Most people will tell u to stay away from it, but for me it does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

dibs101 wrote: »
    Just lookin for some advice here. I am considering buying a 1.6 Mondeo Petrol. I do roughly between 5-6 thousand miles a year on short jounneys. My commutes to work, creche, gym shops etc are no longer than 10 mins in traffic or backroads. Hence I dont think a diesel car is appropriate....????

With 2 kids room is important so the Mondeo 1.6 petrol hatch seems a good candidate, however I have been reading that they are very heavy on petrol due to the large body and only 110 bhp. I imagine that this would be particularly true over short trips like mine. Havent really looked at any alternatives as there seems to be good value out there at the moment for 1.6 petrol mondeos.

So can anyone give me a first hand account of how their 1.6 performs petrol wise over short journies? Afraid that Ill trade in my 1.8 s40 and realise that the mondeo will be a guzzler in comparison....

Any advice welcome....

you will burn more fuel, its crap to have a 1.6 on a big saloon like this.

wouldnt touch it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Try a 2 litre titanium x. My father's in a similar situation and bought one very cheap. It's surprisingly economical too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A 1.6 Mondeo makes the Flying Spaghetti Monster cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

EPM wrote: »
    Try a 2 litre titanium x. My father's in a similar situation and bought one very cheap. It's surprisingly economical too.

Wouldn't be too surprised to hear the 2.0 petrol being nearly as economical as the 1.6 to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

EPM wrote: »

this would be better

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201128402156773/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/manual/body-type/saloon/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/model/passat/make/volkswagen/radius/1500/postcode/kw147dh/page/1?logcode=p

36mpg combined for that 2 litre turbo charged passat, with almost 150mph on tap thats not to be sniffed at.

mucho better than a 1.6 mondeo that wouldnt pass out a daewoo lanos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tragedy wrote: »

The 1.6 litre engine we got here was the same in both the LX and Zetec, 110bhp which struggles to move a car the size and weight of the Mondeo around. In the UK it was offered in 125bhp which was slightly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

dibs101 wrote: »
    Any advice welcome....
    Many question marks doesn't make the question louder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've driven a few 1.6 Mondeo's, and while they aren't great to drive, they are no where near as bad as I thought they would be.

If it's cheap enough, and you don't care about decent acceleration, then there are worse cars out there. No idea what the fuel economy is like, but on short, around town trips, it's not going to be that much worse than the Volvo 1.8.

We recently sold quite a few Mondeo 1.6's on behalf of a customer. These had been rep cars, were all in and around the 200,000km area, and hadn't had the easiest of lives, but they were all still running strong, so they seem to be pretty damn reliable.

Mondeo 2.0i would be better if you can find one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Biff11

I own one of these cars and it is bitter sweet. The space and comfort is second to none but it is a pain on fuel.

If you weigh it up though overall though it may be the right option

Tax - cheaper
    Insurance - cheaper
    Cost of car - cheaper

Petrol - more expensive

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good value, but slow at the top end. Ti-Vct helps in the midrange. Better and more progressive power delivery than the 1.8TDCI.

A lot of car for your money, but a 125bhp version (if you can find one) or a 2.0 petrol would be better to drive.

All large petrol engined cars are relatively heavy on fuel on urban runs. If OP's mileage is limited that might not be that important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got a 2008 2ltr zetec mondeo estate with 60k miles on it two weeks ago and got 38mpg out my first tank which was actualy a bit better than I was expecting. Driving was one 100k motorway trip out of Dublin and then mostly 20k trips to work with 10k of that on motorways on the way to work that I tend to drive pretty hard on . Pretty certain if I stuck to taking the old road with the 100kph limit which I do on my way home I'd be seeing closer to 40mpg. Do very little driving in town though last 1k of commute with two sets of lights and even at that usually don't get held up much.

Differance in motor tax between 2ltr and 1.6 is only €183 and while certainly rarer than the 1.6 are not much dearer used and are usually higher spec models versus the base Edge 1.6 and are certainly worth looking for. I was probably unique to be looking for petrol estates but I don't do huge milage, prefer petrols to drive and plan on keeping this for the long term so was put off by the thoughts of expensive diesel repairs (DMF, DPF, injectors etc). If your looking for the hatchback you'll have a bit more choice than the two estates I could find. And while it's €474 dearer to tax than the diesel you'll save a good few years of that on the cheaper intial purchase price of the petrol.

One thing I am wary of is what they may do the CO2 bands in the the long term I may have been better of on the old system if I could have found a 2007 model but I'll live with that if it happens (it can't be that bad can it? Hopefully they don't go double it across the board :eek:)

Test drove passat, octavia and mk3 mondeo estates and they just don't compare to the new mk4 mondeo. Was €3k over what I was planing to spend but was well worth the extra money to come up to the new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Thanks for the advice lads. Considering Tax and insurance and the fact that "performance" as in overtaking, etc is not that much of an issue for me I think Ill keep the eyes peeled for a reasonably priced 1.6 zetec petrol model, or wait till the budget before jumping on a bargain Titanium X...

Just driving home from work today and noticed that diesel and petrol were the same price... is this something we can expext in the future with diesel prices becoming more expensive due to supply/demand and the massive shift to diesel with larger commutes etc???

Advertisement