Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Pass for Partner

Options
  • 23-05-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how this works. If one partner has a TP they can apply for a pass for their partner which will allow their partner to accompany them when travelling together.

When applying the existing pass has to be returned and obviously a new one will be issued.

But what will it look like, will there be two photos (1 of each partner) on the credit card part, along with their names or how does it work.

I've never seen one.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Anyone know how this works. If one partner has a TP they can apply for a pass for their partner which will allow their partner to accompany them when travelling together.

When applying the existing pass has to be returned and obviously a new one will be issued.

But what will it look like, will there be two photos (1 of each partner) on the credit card part, along with their names or how does it work.

I've never seen one.:)
    The paper part will be changed to indicate that it is for both the holder and their spouse/partner, it currently should state pass holder only under the coloured strip. and the spouse/partner has to sign the back of the pass in the space provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The paper part will be changed to indicate that it is for both the holder and their spouse/partner, it currently should state pass holder only under the coloured strip. and the spouse/partner has to sign the back of the pass in the space provided.

Yeah I see that all right, but I would have though that some form of photo i.d would be required for the accompanying partner:confused:

Yeah I see that all right, but I would have though that some form of photo i.d would be required for the accompanying partner:confused:
    NO, because they only have free travel when accompanying their partner/spouse. Issuing them a photopass might "encourage" them to use that when on their own without the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

AFAIK the partner/spouse card only applies to O/66s. The other type of card is a Companion pass. Full details here http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Free-Travel---SW-40.aspx

NO, because they only have free travel when accompanying their partner/spouse. Issuing them a photopass might "encourage" them to use that when on their own without the pass.

I meant a single Travel Pass but with joint photo's on it.

So when the two arrive to get a ticket what if any i.d. does the accompanying partner have to bring to prove who he is as it seems very open to abuse otherwise.

• Advertisement

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/780_Free-Travel.aspx
    3.4 FREE TRAVEL FOR THE APPLICANT'S SPOUSE/CIVIL PARTNER/COHABITANT

Where a Free Travel applicant is married, in a Civil Partnership or co-habiting, s/he may be entitled to a Free Travel Pass that will allow the spouse/civil partner/cohabitant to accompany the Pass Holder free of charge when travelling. (This does not apply to persons under age 66 who are in receipt of Carer's Allowance or who are nominated carers for people getting a Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from this Department).

Only those getting free travel by virtue of them being carers are excluded from free travel for their spouse/partner.

I meant a single Travel Pass but with joint photo's on it.

So when the two arrive to get a ticket what if any i.d. does the accompanying partner have to bring to prove who he is as it seems very open to abuse otherwise.
    They must have signed the back of the pass and then provide a sample of their signature if requested by any transport company driver or inspector or social welfare inspector.

They must have signed the back of the pass and then provide a sample of their signature if requested by any transport company driver or inspector or social welfare inspector.

See what you mean but I'm amazed in this day and age that joint photo i.d. is not required.

What's to stop someone from practicing using someone else's signature, has been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What's to stop someone from practicing using someone else's signature, has been done before.

Welcome to the mess that is the DoSP travel pass

See what you mean but I'm amazed in this day and age that joint photo i.d. is not required.

It could easily be sorted out by requiring all pass holders and spouses/partners to carry Photo id like passport or Garda age card when using the free travel pass, but these intelligent civil servant people seem unable to work it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Or just get your partner to pay there fare ,

One of the issues with partner ,spouse ,cohabitant passes is just that ,
    Its a vague sweeping reference ,wife ,girlfriend ,husband ,boyfriend ,lover ,lodger one pass cover's all and how many passes have to be reissued due to break ups or hook up's

Gatling wrote: »
    Or just get your partner to pay there fare ,

One of the issues with partner ,spouse ,cohabitant passes is just that ,
    Its a vague sweeping reference ,wife ,girlfriend ,husband ,boyfriend ,lover ,lodger one pass cover's all and how many passes have to be reissued due to break ups or hook up's

I see there is a question on the form that asks how long are ye together maybe they have a minimum requirement now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Practicing !!......Practicing,are ye mad or wha ?.....No,Danjo-xx,thats far to great an imposition to place upon an individual.....easiest thing is to tell any over inquisitive bolshie-busdriver that the partner can't write,therefore is doubly entitled to a Free Pass of their own n all.....:rolleyes:

Make their mark.....all ye need to do is practice your X's ...:o

You could'nt make this stuff up...although the CIE Chairperson,Ms Vivienne Jupp,does indicate that the Group faces "Challenging Times" ahead,I rather suspect she's not referring to this stuff !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement