Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is garda id acceptable id for passport ?

• 24-05-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I have lost my expired passport and just wondering is it necessary I get a birth cert ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 bertie big pockets aherne

garda id is about as much use as a note from your ma

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No it isn't.

Garda id is only suitable for proving your age in pubs, off license, etc.

And yes we really really should have an optional credit card style national id card like most EU countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If I'm reading this right, you're replacing your lost passport?

In which case you need long form birth cert & photo id & 2 proof of address. I could be reading your question wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

An Age Card is acceptable ID for a passport. I recently applied for a first time adult passport which has the extra identity requirements as a lost passport and the Garda approved of it. I got my Age Card without a Passport of Driver's Licence so she was skeptical because I didn't "know a Garda" but you don't actually need a passport/driver's licence to get an Age Card. I also showed my new Public Services Card which she was also skeptical about because she never heard of it.

Pretty stupid how one garda will question something because they aren't in the know of I.D they give you. And this whole knowing a gard thing is ridiculous, you shouldn't need to know one of them to get something done.

You'll need a birth cert, 4 photos, photo ID and proof of address and possibly a utility bill. My proof of address was a letter from AIB with my new bank details on it, I didn't need a utility bill so I'm not sure if it's required but if you have one bring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ak4 wrote: »
    I have lost my expired passport and just wondering is it necessary I get a birth cert ?

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=254

says"
    If born in Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 -
    and applying for your first Irish passport or renewing your passport if under 18 years of age – you require to submit the long form of your Irish State birth certificate which shows the names of your parents. If you are renewing your passport and are over 18 years of age you only need to submit your expired passport."

So you need to get a birth cert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement