Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferry to UK from Dublin Port

• 23-05-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I am traveling to the uk with my car and it is jammed with stuff. Do they ever have a problem with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nope, so long as it's all legal stuff of course :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

corktina wrote: »
    nope, so long as it's all legal stuff of course :-)

I got stopped a few times and asked if I had knives , said no of course , even though at least once I had the contents of a kitchen including cooking knives

OP , no , pack the car as much as you want , that's the good thing about the ferry as opposed to flying !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Weight is not an issue on the ferries, all they care about is height and length. Your biggest concern should be if your car will be able to manage if the crew direct you up a steep ramp to one of the upper decks but the ramps have good gripping surfaces so you'll probably be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have travelled many times to and from BRITAIN over the decades (car passenger), and I can honestly say that I have never had the car searched, but of course 'sods law' means that the very time you try it, you may indeed get searched.

So I guess its best not to conceal anything the ferry company advises against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Should be no problem

Never an eyebrow raised over the most jam-packed of cars, once when I hired a Transit van they just asked if I was private or commercial, but even then they didn't look inside.

Back in the 80s the customs at Holyhead/Liverpool would sometimes ask you a few questions if you looked like a suspicious Irishman, but these were just related to checking your identity and making sure you were not a "known" person, and they never bothered about belongings either.

I must have looked pretty suspicious in my 20s, as I got stopped all the time.

And it wasn't just customs:

One day my (then) wife was in a bank and I was waiting outside for her, and she heard the manager tell another staff member to keep a close eye on the suspicious looking guy hanging around outside.

On another occasion, my wife was having a job interview in a Surrey town. I found some parking beside a row of shops close to the office where she was being interviewed, and sat in the car reading a book. After 45 minutes the police arrived, one of the local shopkeepers thought I must be up to no good.

So, OP, you're fine . . as long as you don't travel with me!

C635

• Advertisement
Advertisement