Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg conference on "getting connected"

Options
  • 02-10-2003 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Etain had her national conference yesterday.
    Don't worry if you missed it all Presentations on their site now - http://www.comreg.ie/whats_new/default.asp?ctype=5&nid=101133

It won't take you long to read through the presentations.

Not much about results and practical success - lots of fine words and plans particularly from the 2 regional authorities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

I was interested to read about the BMW Assemblys efforts to get broadband out there in the regions. Is anyone here involved with these initiatives in any of the named towns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Did anyone notice that the ESB provided the backhaul for Lanesboro on the Roscaommon/Longford border ?

Other than that , powerpoint bullet points on a blue background leave me cold!

One of the regulars here was involved in the Last Mile collaboration that got BMW funding, Ronan:Raven I think it was, using proxim kit ?

M

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Presentation aside, Jim Nortons one was great. Very thought provoking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

ENN report here. Tommy Broughan's comments made me laugh, I doubt I need to explain why.

Am I to take it IrelandOffline wasn't invited to this event?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

The ComReg Chairperson, Etain Doyle said a lot has been achieved in
    upgrading the telecommunications network during the last year. 53% of all
    eircom lines are now DSL enabled switches. EsatBT have 40 unbundled
    exchanges, and also offer DSL services at all eircom-enabled switches.

bluh - i wish eircom tribunal were still around to tell the real story. It doesn't sound half bad with that spin. That could easily have read

progress has been extremely slow in upgrading the telecommunications network. It's still unknown the number of lines that can actually avail of DSL and EsatBT have unbundled a total of 1,000 lines our of a few million. The cost of unbundling is still in question, so more companies can't possibly make a business case for using LLU and the wholesale and resale cost for eircom's RADSL service is still too expensive to hit the mass market, and has a horrible quality of service.

Doesn't sound as pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Am I to take it IrelandOffline wasn't invited to this event?

No. Yesterday was the first I heard of it.

Congrats due to the Regional Authorities. Lose the satellite, though, would ye SWRA? There's a pet!

Advertisement