Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Historical Orators/ Speeches ( Good or evil) in History?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Quasimodo.....thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Gotta be my man Fidel. He used to do 4 hour long speeches ALL THE TIME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Brian Cowen has to be up there I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

sxt wrote: »
    Most of the lists/ opinions I see are heavily American biased ( I understand that they are not going to include evil people, but I am!). I am sorry but Hitler was alot more convincing than Obama in his rhetoric.

http://www.eaglestalent.com/blog/top-10-greatest-orators

Top ten speeches of all time according to Time magazine

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1841228,00.html

Who would be on your list of best orators / best speeches?

Al Pacino's "inches" speech in Any Given Sunday and Fr Ted's inspirational speech just before he climbed onto the roof of the aeroplane to fix it with sticky tape.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cato the Elder every speech ended with "Moreover, I advise that Carthage must be destroyed."

The nett result was the complete destruction of the city of Carthage and the death or enslavement of the entire Carthaginian population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Yer man who said ''to Martha''.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

ian paisley is almost history?

Hitler was good for an oul speech or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

I love Winston Churchill's speech where he said "We'll fight them for their bitches". Winnie loved bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Michael Fennelly after the all Ireland 2 years ago. It was so passionate even people from the same area couldn't understand his accent.

JFK's speech in Berlin helped to ease fears in Western Europe of nuclear war for a while and put the skids on soviet plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Pighead wrote: »
    Al Pacino's "inches" speech in Any Given Sunday and Fr Ted's inspirational speech just before he climbed onto the roof of the aeroplane to fix it with sticky tape.
    or this one

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

sxt wrote: »

Top ten speeches of all time according to Time magazine ...

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1841228,00.html

Only 8 of them are Americans... surely there should be more?!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

One of my favourites would be RFK's speech the night of Martin Luther King's death, when he announced it to an audience in Indianapolis. There were fears that it would trigger riots, and you can hear wails and screams when he delivers the news. But he remained calm and composed, and referenced for the first time in public the assassination of his brother "by a white man." Then, from memory, quoted the ancient Greek playwright Aeschylus: "Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God."

There were riots in many other US cities that night. But none in Indianapolis.

Chaplin's speech from The Great Dictator has to be up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

kfallon wrote: »
    Quasimodo.....thanks!
    that name rings a bell...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sam Houston's opening monologue to The Big Lebowski. That is all.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Daniel O'Connel was a great man to get a crowd to listen and vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Adolf Hitler.
    Winston Churchill.
    Charles Stewart Parnell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Daniel O'Connell

Robert Peel

Demosthenes

Alexander the Great

Loads more who wouldn't be that well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

"My message to you this morning is about confidence for the future. Confidence, in the strength of the economy that we have created together over recent decades. Confidence, in the value of the social progress which that economic strength has made possible.

Confidence, in our ability to rise to new challenges and to meet them together. Confidence, in our own judgement in the face of commentators and others who regularly cast doubt, not only on our future, but even on the reality of our past achievements and how we managed to bring them about. Ultimately, confidence, in the face of change and in the realisation that standing still is not an option, for any of us.

There are those who believe that our recent successes are an illusion. That they will disappear and we will be back to the natural order, an Ireland of unemployment and under-achievement. Some of these voices were telling us, not so long ago, that our approach was all wrong, that social partnership was a mistake, that centralised pay bargaining could not deliver. They were wrong then, and they are still wrong.

We have every reason to be confident but we have no grounds for complacency. In a world with higher interest rates, higher energy costs and increasing competition from emerging economies, success cannot be taken for granted and prosperity must be protected."

The eloquent Wordsmith that was B-B-B-Bertie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement