Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

askaboutmoney snookered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ouch.... did the money advice website go for cheap ass hosting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

They deserve it to be honest.
    What type of company, with so much data and information, DOES NOT TEST THE DAMN BACKUPS !!!
    How idiotic to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Poor Brendan:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was going to sign up to post this

haha-you-are-loser-4098_preview.jpg

but cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Oh God.

Is it too early to criticse?
    wtf were they thinking?

I used to post on that site sometimes, great site, I hope they get back up and running (and retain users)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've seen a public sector organisation that had their backup of their main financial system failing every night for 3 years until one of my colleagues discovered it while working on something unrelated. They were very, very lucky not to have lost 3 years worth of all their transactions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Is Brendan any relation to Georgie Burgess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Saves him having to moderate everything he doesnt agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    They deserve it to be honest.
    What type of company, with so much data and information, DOES NOT TEST THE DAMN BACKUPS !!!
    How idiotic to say the least.
    You obviously don't work in IT. :)

It happens all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

All i can say is 'fill yer boots'. ah Brendan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

cadaliac wrote: »
    You obviously don't work in IT. :)

It happens all the time.

Actually, I do .. difference is I'm good at what I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

What post? who? said what? what date? :eek: I can't believe it :eek:, ok, give me five mins and then feel free to search our records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ask about money as long as it's not about the single biggest financial decisions you'll ever make (buying a house). Surely they have at least some of it backed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Karma acts in mysterious ways.

How long before they add comments about The Backup Cockup to the list of banned topics i.e. House Prices ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

damn i've lost my cool username!!!!

plus they have lost alot of good info on setting up bank accounts in other eu countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

So does that mean that anyone who was banned since August is now not banned? Someone needs to tell the OP of the recent thread on accommodation and property who made the mistake of mentioning future house price falls on aam the other week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Everything seems to have been retrieved. I guess one of the back-ups was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,109 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is there an askabouthosting.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Sarn wrote: »
    Everything seems to have been retrieved. I guess one of the back-ups was good.

Nope everything is gone on the site I'm looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Brendan Burgess user_offline.gif

icon1.gifWe are not allowing new registrations for the moment
    We are attempting to see if we can recover the registrations we have lost since July.

So we are not allowing new registrations until this has been sorted so that we don't get duplicate registrations.

if we can't recover the registrations, those who joined since July will have to register again.

Woops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Bet he wishes he could roll the clock back another 4 years, prior to when he was telling us on RTE that we should fill our boots with bank shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Dymo wrote: »
    Nope everything is gone on the site I'm looking at.

Apologies, I read it wrong, I see only posts from August went missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Sarn wrote: »
    The site is fine from where I'm posting. Posts back to about 2004 are available.

The problem I think is stuff from August on is missing. Check the dates. there's a bunch of threads on the front pag dating from 10-08-11 or before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

don'taskaboutbackups.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'm intrigued by this. IT disasters are almost as exciting as natural ones. Maybe even more so because noone actually dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

ah, it's like being back at my old office :D developer says something's backed up..... things turn to ****... ooops it turns out i backed up everything but that! ahhhhh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

He says they were making nightly backup. Were these overwriting each other. Poor organisation & even poorer hosting.
    An upgrade to vB 4 should really be done to a test location first before taking down the live site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Be thankful for boards, kids. Steady as a rock these days. Do they even go down for the 3am backup anymore, or just run it on one machine?

<showing my IT ignorance here>

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do they even go down for the 3am backup anymore, or just run it on one machine?

Havn't noticted.
    I'd be well tucked up by then..:o

• Advertisement

My friend beside me has the ability to restore the entire missing content.. I'm sitting here reading through posts on the website from the last few weeks (obviously easy) but it's him who can convert all this back into a MySQL database and get all the posts back in order.

Has no one else actually spotted how to do it?

Be thankful for boards, kids. Steady as a rock these days. Do they even go down for the 3am backup anymore, or just run it on one machine?

<showing my IT ignorance here>
    Ah yes, the old 3AM club in tCN, and the silly competition where you had to get the last post in before the shutdown and a bonus for getting the first one when it came back up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Actually, I do .. difference is I'm good at what I do
    Fair play to you. I never accused you of being good/bad @ your job, whatever that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Good for savings and deposit options which was always kept up to date but the combination of a site wide ban on property prices and the fill up yer boots skit means I never visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Hey slut! How's yer Mr Buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

From

http://www.globalgold.co.uk/vbulletin-hosting/
    When it comes to high-performance forum hosting
    no other host can keep pace with our knowledge,
    expertise, or support. Probably the best you can get.

They must be drinking too much Carlsberg.

Also from the same page
    Some very important forums host with GlobalGold including Playfish, Audi, Alzheimers and many more.

Alzheimers ??? Must have mixed up their backups with AskAboutMoney

It appears they got it restored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Yeah OPs link brings you to a post about booking tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

KoolKid wrote: »
    It appears they got it restored.

I was wondering was there some inside joke about booking seats on Italian trains that I wasn't getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I feel more sorry for the people in negative equity given advice by posters on that site during the boom years

• Advertisement

Tech3 wrote: »
    I feel more sorry for the people in negative equity given advice by posters on that site during the boom years
    +1

It was a real tigers den, all assuming that the growth of the previous couple of years would continue indefinitely and advising all those looking to buy to "fill their boots".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I suppose discussion of backups was also banned as it could cause negative sentiment? Can't say I'm sorry for them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gone again

Down because they were moving hosts.
    Horse and gate come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Now when you surf to askaboutmoney.com you get a large message begging for donations. Pity Brendan banned about 90% of his members for made up egotistical reasons. I have a feeling thats why he now has to beg for donations. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I got banned from AAM for abusive language, fair enough you say, but it was because my username had 'feck' in it.

I'd been a member for 2 years at that stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

psychward wrote: »
    Now when you surf to askaboutmoney.com you get a large message begging for donations. Pity Brendan banned about 90% of his members for made up egotistical reasons. I have a feeling thats why he now has to beg for donations. ;)
    Maybe he should empty some of those bank shares out of his boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

psychward wrote: »

Maybe they should change it to askformoney.com

Advertisement