Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Nexus 5] 3G severely limited vs Wifi

Options
  • 23-04-2014 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with their N5 or any other brand of smartphone.

Everything is fine over Wifi, but when on 3G I can't access the Google Play Store, I cant send emails (I can check and refresh my inbox though). Certain other things don't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to fix this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Hi, just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with their N5 or any other brand of smartphone.

Everything is fine over Wifi, but when on 3G I can't access the Google Play Store, I cant send emails (I can check and refresh my inbox though). Certain other things don't work either.

Thanks.

No issues here, Nexus 5 on meteor mostly in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Thanks.

What email service are you using? - it may be a case that the SMTP server is blocked on your network's 3G service

What mobile network are you using?

Do you have the correct APN settings configured on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Does it stay stuck on 3G or go up to H/H+?
    Cos that's what you want H+ is like 3.5G, faster than 3 itself...

Of course if you had LTE like me.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What email service are you using? - it may be a case that the SMTP server is blocked on your network's 3G service

What mobile network are you using?

Do you have the correct APN settings configured on the phone?

I'm using my college email address which I connect to m.outlook.com through the stock email app. Not sure why I can receive emails but not send them?

I'm on O2. How would I go about verifying the APN settings? Sorry, not too tenchologically fluent :o

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Does it stay stuck on 3G or go up to H/H+?
    Cos that's what you want H+ is like 3.5G, faster than 3 itself...

Of course if you had LTE like me.... :p

Mostly H.

I have LTE but I was under the impression that 4G isn't available on O2 yet, or has that nothing to do with it?

I have my preferred network type set as 3G. The other setting is LTE (recommended) but I didn't think there was any point using that as I'm with O2 who don't ahve 4G yet? Or is that cringeworthily incorrect?

• Advertisement

Scatch that, I set it to LTE and it's working now. Woohoo! :)

But it's still H. I assume that it's just defaulting to that as it can't find 4G on O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You need a 4G data plan to get the LTE speeds, and it's only around Dublin (possibly other cities, dunno) at the moment, otherwise, H it is.

Advertisement