Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Fleche Wallonne * Contains Unmasked Spoilers *

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I thought that's what Haas was doing too. Think Dan might have gotten a bit muscled out of it. What I didn't understand was why Slagter and Dan were seemingly racing separate tactical finishes. BMC this year, Garmin last year and Saxo previously, have shown the benefit of having a few guys attacking in sequence, whereas Garmin this time seemed to go for a "whoever's left can do what they want" attitude. Maybe it was a lack of confidence (in Dan, from Dan, who knows), but it was odd. Vaughters is a bit of an eejit though when it comes to Twitter.

Sunday will be great.

When he got to the front there was a big look behind so I presume that's what he was trying to do. Garmin and Vaughters can be funny with there tactics, like the TDF last year and Hejsedal saying they were going into it like it was a bar fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I'm not a twittererer eitherer, but I do have Google, and have read previous form from JV.

https://twitter.com/Vaughters

Here is the pertinent exchange...not sure you can read it without twitter

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/458963605036081152

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

XtotheZ wrote: »
    Did Haas not try and bring Martin up but he dropped the wheel? Also Vaughters is ment to be checking dans power to weight for the Muur today, that'll be interesting.

For Sunday it's hard to look past Valverde. Unless Garmin do what Saxo Bank did in 09 and start launching riders from a long way out to burn out the other teams it's not going to happen. That said Moviestar and Katusha looked incredible strong yesterday

I don't think so. Dan had a poor position and got hampered behind a slowing Katusha rider yesterday. In the right position, with no obstacles, I think that he would have wiped the floor with Valverde. I also think that he will do it on Sunday and my money is going on him to win.

P.S. I HATE Valverde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

I believe Valverde and Martin are now first and second on the fastest ascents up the Mur De Huy.

I seem to remember Froome drew a lot of fire from the boards community for a similar record breaking performance. I am confident Dan is clean so hopefully others can see that it is possible to break records without doping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I believe Valverde and Martin are now first and second on the fastest ascents up the Mur De Huy.

I seem to remember Froome drew a lot of fire from the boards community for a similar record breaking performance. I am confident Dan is clean so hopefully others can see that it is possible to break records without doping.

Tell that to Paul Kimmage.....last year he went after Froome and this year its Contador ....cos both had extraordinary form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Might be a slight difference between breaking records set in the EPO era on 30km+ climbs in the high Pyrenees and short sharp climbs like the Mur de Huy (1.3km long, 128 m high) ... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Zzippy wrote: »
    Might be a slight difference between breaking records set in the EPO era on 30km+ climbs in the high Pyrenees and short sharp climbs like the Mur de Huy (1.3km long, 128 m high) ... ;)

and breaking the records after a few weeks into a tough race rather than a one day race

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I don't think so. Dan had a poor position and got hampered behind a slowing Katusha rider yesterday. In the right position, with no obstacles, I think that he would have wiped the floor with Valverde. I also think that he will do it on Sunday and my money is going on him to win.

P.S. I HATE Valverde.

Although I agree that Dan would of won if not for poor position the Muur is very steep, the climb to Ans in Liege is abit more gradual. Understandably he bet Valverde there last year (liege) but keep in mind Hesjedal was up the road. Valverde, Scarponi and Rodriguez were chasing for the last 10ish KM and Martin was sitting in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkLa_W7g5js

Team work and Tactics. Movistar are probably the stronger team as demonstated yesterday but imo Liege is so long and difficult that its very hard to get it right in the end. (see BMC in the video above)

Zzippy wrote: »

Gilbert had set the record in 2011. 3:44 i believe. 1 second faster than Davide Rebellin

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Although I agree that Dan would of won if not for poor position the Muur is very steep, the climb to Ans in Liege is abit more gradual. Understandably he bet Valverde there last year (liege) but keep in mind Hesjedal was up the road. Valverde, Scarponi and Rodriguez were chasing for the last 10ish KM and Martin was sitting in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkLa_W7g5js

Team work and Tactics. Movistar are probably the stronger team as demonstated yesterday but imo Liege is so long and difficult that its very hard to get it right in the end. (see BMC in the video above)

Yea, I remember watching it last year. All he needs to do is sit behind the right wheel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Gilbert had set the record in 2011. 3:44 i believe. 1 second faster than Davide Rebellin

I was referring to records set in the high mountains during grand tours during the EPO era, which I believe Froome was compared to last year, in response to the post by mistermatthew. I don't believe records set on a short sharp climb like the Mur have anything to do with whether or not a rider was doping, and wasn't referring to EPO era for that.

Advertisement