Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Identifying Japanese Drink

• 23-04-2014 12:12am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Found this at the back of the gf's drinks cabinet. Her da gets presents from work all the time and never drinks them. No idea what this is, the only English on it is the ABV (50%). Have tried Google but couldn't find anything. It's unopened as of now so I don't know what it tastes/smells like yet. Anyone recognise it?

2dkx0k5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

irish_goat wrote: »
    Found this at the back of the gf's drinks cabinet. Her da gets presents from work all the time and never drinks them. No idea what this is, the only English on it is the ABV (50%). Have tried Google but couldn't find anything. It's unopened as of now so I don't know what it tastes/smells like yet. Anyone recognise it?

I know a guy with an other half who is half Thai/half Japanese.

Can ask if you like!

They are in Bangkok so I'll let you know if I hear back soonish!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cheers. I might try the Japanese forum on here if no one else responds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KillianHmmm

酒Hey, I've given it a quick go at trying to translate it. It's in Chinese, not Japanese, so I can't tell you exactly what it says, but near as I can tell, it's Maotai (or Moutai, not really sure). It has a Wikipedia page, but beyond that, I've never heard of it. The characters atop the bottle are the brand I think, Yù pǐn (Jade Products or something to that effect).

Hope that helps. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. I suggest finding someone who speaks Chinese if you want to find out more!

Update: the big text in the middle (千禧2000酒) appears to say Millennium 2000 liquor/alcohol. Might be a special Millennium edition or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Turned out she didn't read/speak Japanese anyway!

If it could be Mandarin you could pop into your nearest Chinese restaurant/take away to ask.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

酒Hey, I've given it a quick go at trying to translate it. It's in Chinese, not Japanese, so I can't tell you exactly what it says, but near as I can tell, it's Maotai (or Moutai, not really sure). It has a Wikipedia page, but beyond that, I've never heard of it. The characters atop the bottle are the brand I think, Yù pǐn (Jade Products or something to that effect).

Hope that helps. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. I suggest finding someone who speaks Chinese if you want to find out more!

Update: the big text in the middle (千禧2000酒) appears to say Millennium 2000 liquor/alcohol. Might be a special Millennium edition or something.

That's great, cheers!

Can't seem to find much on this specific product but it appears to be a "sauce scented" spirit made from sorghum. Will see about giving it a taste next weekend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

irish_goat wrote: »
    That's great, cheers!

Can't seem to find much on this specific product but it appears to be a "sauce scented" spirit made from sorghum. Will see about giving it a taste next weekend. :)

It's a soy sauce scented Baijiu to be exact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A soy sauce scented liqueur?

Can imagine it may be good over some salted caramel icecream

Advertisement