Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a half pint of beer.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Haha, I was going to post something similar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In all the places I've worked and drank in where I've witnessed people getting "half-pints" The glasses used were either slim jims or similar sized glasses which are generally 8oz.
    I have never seen this, whenever I get a 500ml bottle I always ask for a small glass, and am usually given a half pint glass. I have never gotten an 8oz one as it would take a few pours from the bottle, I usually get 2 pours into a half pint with head room

8 UK fluid oz is only 227mL, half pint is 284ml, 227ml is very small, surely you got complaints in these pubs you worked in?

Look at the glasses here, I could not imagine anybody attempting to serve up a beer in any of the glasses below 284ml
    http://www.nisbets.ie/4/Tableware-and-Bar-Supplies-Glassware-Hi-Balls-and-Tumblers-Olympia-Hi-Balls-and-Tumblers/c04c01c04c05.r10.1

I've never measured but I know for sure they are not a half pint and when I go in tomorrow I'll measure.

Even the Heineken branded "half" pint glasses seem very very small to me
    This sounds like you might just think they are all small, like people seem to be terrible judges of how much shorter wider plastic glasses hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ted1 wrote: »
    A half pint is 300ml

Lol! :D

By the way if you think a half pint of beer is expensive have a look at a half pan of bread. About 10c cheaper than a full pan. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ted1 wrote: »
    A half pint is 300ml

Pint is 568ml.

Half pint is 284ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Big Nasty wrote: »
    have a look at a half pan of bread. About 10c cheaper than a full pan. :eek:
    This is a bit different as economies of scale come into effect with packaging etc. Just like how larger bottles of beer or spirits are quite often more expensive per ml than the smaller bottles of the same brand.

Of course they are probably taking advantage too and making a higher margin on the small bread. Some products really take the piss, like soft drinks, or bars sold singly vs mulitpacks. I don't think I have bought a bar singly in over 10 years now, I just couldn't bring myself to do it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement