Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a half pint of beer.

Options
  • 17-04-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Why is a half pint of beer not half the price of a full pint. Most people just buy a full pint as buying a half is really not worth it. If it were to be half the price, people may drink less and drink driving or just random drunkness may be less of a problem.
    I did ask a pub owner this question but just got an aggressive response about the cost of running a pub.😕

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Why is a half pint of beer not half the price of a full pint. Most people just buy a full pint as buying a half is really not worth it. If it were to be half the price, people may drink less and drink driving or just random drunkness may be less of a problem.
    I did ask a pub owner this question but just got an aggressive response about the cost of running a pub.😕

In pretty much every craft beer pub a half pint is half the price of a pint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

This comes up every so often and it's down to marginal cost. For comparison, an 8oz steak is never half the price of a 16oz. Staff, heating, electric, cleaning etc all need paid, the amount of liquid you are buying is only part of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Simon Peach

irish_goat wrote: »
    This comes up every so often and it's down to marginal cost. For comparison, an 8oz steak is never half the price of a 16oz. Staff, heating, electric, cleaning etc all need paid, the amount of liquid you are buying is only part of the cost.

This is true but the price is so far off half price that you know they are overcharging. Plus in other countries a half pint is half price so this isn't a strong excuse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

This is true but the price is so far off half price that you know they are overcharging. Plus in other countries a half pint is half price so this isn't a strong excuse.

At the end of the day, the price is always what people are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Seaneh wrote: »
    In pretty much every craft beer pub a half pint is half the price of a pint.
    In against the grain some are just a little over half, many are exactly half. I often just order 2 halfs at once. Its a good way to try new beers, many of the taster tray things of 3 drinks are not great value. And yes I know many will give a tiny taster for free.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    For comparison, an 8oz steak is never half the price of a 16oz. Staff, heating, electric, cleaning etc all need paid, the amount of liquid you are buying is only part of the cost.
    A meal is a little different as a good bulk of the cost is the masked "cover charge". Whenever I was away in somewhere like holland where small glasses are common we just drank about the same volume in pubs with small glasses as pubs with pints. A restaurant would not be expecting someone who ordered a 8oz steak meal to suddenly feel a bit peckish and order another.

With the half pint they have the same admin costs of putting money in the till, and getting back the glass & washing, of course a little time saved pouring, and a little more glasses in the machine. But to take it to the extreme, if they were serving shots of beer I would not expect it to be 1/16th the price.

A small drink in most fast food places is not the same price per ml. I would love if they were legally obliged to charge half the price by the government as some form of anti-binge drinking campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've been banging on about this for years.
    Spirits are priced on a pro rata basis, I don't see why beer can't be too.
    Abbot's and Bierhaus in Cork generally charge half for a half.
    I nearly always drink halves. Sometimes it means I drink a little less, sometimes a little more.
    I also wish that glasses where the rim is the measure mark were a thing of the past - such a rip off imo, especially if drinking expensive beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Would rarely order a half, only ever ordered a half for a family member. It has always been round about half the price of a full pint. I could however count on one hand the amount of times I have had to order a glass of beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

People say it's to do with the cost of running a pub.
    If I pop in for something to eat I'll have a glass of water. The costs of the soft drinks and half pints aren't worth it for me. So instead of some profit on the drink they get nothing. Go into many pubs that serve food or restaurants and you'll see a fair few people with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Don't think of of it as being charged more for a half pint, think of it as the half pint being the real price and when you buy 2 you get a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The main problem with half pints costing more than half to me is that they are not actually half pints. You get an 8 oz glass of beer while a pint has around 20 oz.

That said, I've rarely seen it cost much more than half the cost of a pint. It's to do with what people are willing to pay.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Don't think of of it as being charged more for a half pint, think of it as the half pint being the real price and when you buy 2 you get a discount.

Then why isn't a double spirit cheaper than a single?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Then why isn't a double spirit cheaper than a single?

Spirits by their very definition are more mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

If it were to be half the price, people may drink less and drink driving or just random drunkness may be less of a problem.

If it were half the price and people drank less, who takes the hit? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Its already been said that the craft bars do half pints for half the price of a pint, just drink there.

The main problem with half pints costing more than half to me is that they are not actually half pints. You get an 8 oz glass of beer while a pint has around 20 oz.
    I have never seen this before, did the glass state it is 8oz or something?

You constantly see people moaning about plastic glasses not being pints in venues like concerts, I have never got one or seen one. The plastic glasses are typically shorter, with a very wide taper on top so the top inch holds a lot of volume -so it can certainly appear smaller at a glance.

I believe pint glasses have to be CE certified, so would presume the same of half pints.

http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/half-pint-glasses.asp
    http://www.nisbets.ie/4/Tableware-and-Bar-Supplies-Glassware-Beer-Glasses-Toughened-Glasses/c04c01c02c02.r10.1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    I believe pint glasses have to be CE certified
    They don't. The only requirement is that they contain what they say they contain. The CE mark just means that the manufacturer has been inspected and is compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

US and imperial oz are the (almost) same, but a US pint is 16 oz, and imperial pint is 20 oz.

I think if you've seen a half pint glass that's 8 oz, it's a US glass (possibly a branded glass imported with US beer).

Plastic "pint" glasses at gigs and so on are frequently 450 or 500ml, and not actual pints.

CE mark pertains to the product, and the product itself has been certified.

Tube wrote: »
    Plastic "pint" glasses at gigs and so on are frequently 450 or 500ml, and not actual pints.
    I have never seen a 450ml one in any venue I went to, that is significantly smaller. I can't say I ever saw one that I was sure was 500ml either, any I looked at which did declare the size were pints and CE stamped.

I saw some thread with people saying the O2 had 400ml plastic glasses selling as pints. I certainly did not get one that size there, maybe it has changed but I still suspect these people are just guessing, I imagine they neither saw it printed on the glass nor took it home to check. As I said before I expect they are eyeballing it and thinking it is much less, as they do look visually look small if you don't cop on how much wider they are. So I don't think these people are lying or anything.

I have seen smaller glasses for spirits or if they insist on pouring out longnecks, but not pints.
    Tube wrote: »
    CE mark pertains to the product, and the product itself has been certified.
    Not sure what you mean by this? CE marking on the likes of toys can mean it is not hazardous, I think the CE marking on pint glasses is solely to verify volume, I don't think its to do with being safe, or that the plastic is foodgrade or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have never seen this before, did the glass state it is 8oz or something?

In all the places I've worked and drank in where I've witnessed people getting "half-pints" The glasses used were either slim jims or similar sized glasses which are generally 8oz. I've never measured but I know for sure they are not a half pint and when I go in tomorrow I'll measure.

Even the Heineken branded "half" pint glasses seem very very small to me, but I no longer have access to them to check. Though I know when standard glasses are used that they are smaller than a half of an imperial pint.

In all the places I've worked and drank in where I've witnessed people getting "half-pints" The glasses used were either slim jims or similar sized glasses which are generally 8oz. I've never measured but I know for sure they are not a half pint and when I go in tomorrow I'll measure.

Even the Heineken branded "half" pint glasses seem very very small to me, but I no longer have access to them to check. Though I know when standard glasses are used that they are smaller than a half of an imperial pint.

The standard glass used in most pubs in Ireland the type below. They hold 10oz to the rim. A standard pint glass holds 20oz to the rim.
    Exactly half a pint.

45487_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

A Public House is a business. They would clearly prefer that you'd buy a pint.

As for people drinking less. That's not exactly in the publicans interest is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Think of it this was.
    33% of the price is for the liquid
    33% of the price is for electricity, rent etc,
    33% of the price is for staff, etc.

So a half pint costs .33*.5+.33+.33 =84% of the price if a full pint

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A half pint is 300ml

• Registered Users Posts: 14,740 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

drumswan wrote: »
    Its already been said that the craft bars do half pints for half the price of a pint, just drink there.

although (as discussed elsewhere on this forum) the pints are more expensive to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Not sure what you mean by this? CE marking on the likes of toys can mean it is not hazardous, I think the CE marking on pint glasses is solely to verify volume, I don't think its to do with being safe, or that the plastic is foodgrade or anything.

I mean the product itself complies with whatever standards are applicable to it.

loyatemu wrote: »
    although (as discussed elsewhere on this forum) the pints are more expensive to begin with.

Not really.

A pint of sweetmans beers is 4 (whatever is the special that week/month) GBB and PH beers are 4.90 - 5.50.

A pint of heineken in Dublin can be €6 in a lot of places.

I'd rather bay more for a good beer than less for a **** beer too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

bay on the brain... Hope they're paying you handsomely ;)

loyatemu wrote: »

That's just not true. It is true that they sell some more expensive products but if you compare like with like, craft beer bars are no more expensive than any other bars.
    my friend wrote: »
    bay on the brain... Hope they're paying you handsomely ;)

Give it a rest. GBB was one of three bars that he mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

That's just not true. It is true that they sell some more expensive products but if you compare like with like, craft beer bars are no more expensive than any other bars.

Give it a rest. GBB was one of three bars that he mentioned.

I think you may need to re-read that pair of posts again. I interpreted that comment to refer to the typo of bay in place of pay (see below) in a very tongue in cheek manner, with no actual deeper meaning or suggestion that would be deserving of a response along the lines of yours.....
    Not really.

A pint of sweetmans beers is 4 (whatever is the special that week/month) GBB and PH beers are 4.90 - 5.50.

A pint of heineken in Dublin can be €6 in a lot of places.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    I think you may need to re-read that pair of posts again. I interpreted that comment to refer to the typo of bay in place of pay (see below) in a very tongue in cheek manner, with no actual deeper meaning or suggestion that would be deserving of a response along the lines of yours.....

OK, I get it now.
    Chill.

Advertisement