Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drumkit advice for 13 year old

Options
  • 28-03-2014 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey

I have no previous knowledge of drums and looking at spending up to max of 400 on drumkit for 13 yr old who's into drums and progressing nicely with lessons. I Put off the purchase until fairly sure he is interested enough for us to invest. I'm about to purchase and wondered if anyone has any opinions on my purchase?
    DW PDP Stage Set Thomann

thanks

currently reduced from 557 to 399euro

http://www.thomann.de/ie/dw_pdp_stage_set_thomann_bk.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MixedUpMick

If your budget is that low, I'd recommend looking at second-hand kits. You can find reasonable gear for €400 on adverts.ie and donedeal.ie and it will last for years. Buying a brand new kit for that price means you'll soon be buying it all again when things start to break. Since your kid is getting lessons, the teacher should be able to advise you about good deals and what to avoid.

The ad you posted has no name or description for the cymbals. That leads me to believe that you're getting toy cymbals made from the cheapest of cheap brass. Definitely email Thomann and ask for details on the cymbals before you buy.

I believe kids should start out on genuine bronze cymbals, not necessarily "pro" cymbals but at least something that feels and sounds like a real musical instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

If your budget is that low, I'd recommend looking at second-hand kits. You can find reasonable gear for €400 on adverts.ie and donedeal.ie and it will last for years. Buying a brand new kit for that price means you'll soon be buying it all again when things start to break. Since your kid is getting lessons, the teacher should be able to advise you about good deals and what to avoid.

The ad you posted has no name or description for the cymbals. That leads me to believe that you're getting toy cymbals made from the cheapest of cheap brass. Definitely email Thomann and ask for details on the cymbals before you buy.

I believe kids should start out on genuine bronze cymbals, not necessarily "pro" cymbals but at least something that feels and sounds like a real musical instrument.

Thanks for reply and thoughts- hadnt given much thought to second hand but makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Reply from thomann regarding request for info on the cymbals:

"It’s a brass-cast cymbal set of no special brand which comes with the set from the factory"

doesn't exactly inspire - currently looking into second hand options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Yeah, I had similar kind of brass cymbals on my first kit; they’re awful things.

When looking for second hand drums avoid the following brands:

Hohner, Arai, Millennium, Jordan, DXP,

I’ve no idea where you live but as an example:

http://www.adverts.ie/drum-kits/pearl-forum-drum-kit/4910109
    This isn’t a bad kit for a 13 year old. Pearl Forum are good and Sabian B8 cymbals are much better than what you’d have gotten from that kit on Thomann. You could always buy a brand new set of drum skins (cost you €40-€50) so that it has that “new” look to it.

This one here is even better:
    http://www.adverts.ie/drum-kits/pearl-export-drum-kit/4563662

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MixedUpMick

Walking-dreams, would you believe I pm'ed the original poster with that same Pearl Forum link that you posted?

It would be worth paying the extra €50 for the Export kit (though you could probably get the seller to accept an offer of €400).

• Advertisement
Advertisement