Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I seal up this vent?

• 22-03-2014 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

The vent is on the outside of my bath room. The Thing is there is no vent inside the bathroom. Previous owner had the whole bathroom tiled floor to ceiling. Is this vent to keep an air flow between the red brick and cavity block or is it supposed to just keep the bathroom vented?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

its for ventilation for the bathroom

Should not have been blocked up really. If you want to open it up it shouldnt be that tricky, if you were to locate the position in the bathroom and drill a few holes and remove a small portion of tile and fit an internal vent

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    its for ventilation for the bathroom

Should not have been blocked up really. If you want to open it up it shouldnt be that tricky, if you were to locate the position in the bathroom and drill a few holes and remove a small portion of tile and fit an internal vent

Cheers lex. Yeah I was thinking that alright. The problem with the house is that they seemed to have just cangod through the walls from the outside without doing it properly ie installing a pipe so the outside air is getting in behind the dry lining and keeping the rooms cold as opposed to just ventilating the room if that makes sense.
    So it's definitely nothing to do with circulating air in the gap between the red brick and cavity wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

looks to me as if that brick vent was always there from day one.

you say the inside is dry lined?

maybe the pipe wasnt taken out/extended and a bigger pipe put in when dry lined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The vent and duct would be there from build but the duct would have finished flush with block work and the if they dry lined there would be a
    Gap between the block and slabs.Just open up from inside put a new duct inside the original and then seal between both fit a new internal vent cover job done.

Would it be OK to block the vent completely and just open the window every now and again to vent the room

• Advertisement

Robbie.G wrote: »
    The vent and duct would be there from build but the duct would have finished flush with block work and the if they dry lined there would be a
    Gap between the block and slabs.Just open up from inside put a new duct inside the original and then seal between both fit a new internal vent cover job done.

There is no duct ...
    Same vent is in the bedroom And there is no duct.

If no duct is present get a duct fitted if not it's just the cavity fill up with air.

Fitting duct isn't feasible. Batten in the way in bedroom and fully tiled in Bath room.

Still very possible the batten is probly only 2*1 and easily cut.The bathroom one find centre of vent and drill holes around tiles or if centres work out remove a tile drill slab with 110mm holesaw and fit 110mm wavin pipe if this work is beyond you get in someone to do it a couple hours work in the region off €100-€200

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Still very possible the batten is probly only 2*1 and easily cut.The bathroom one find centre of vent and drill holes around tiles or if centres work out remove a tile drill slab with 110mm holesaw and fit 110mm wavin pipe if this work is beyond you get in someone to do it a couple hours work in the region off €100-€200

Thanks for the replies but I'm still not convinced about a large permanent hole in the wall. ... North Facing at that. Opening a window every now and again would surely suffice?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies but I'm still not convinced about a large permanent hole in the wall. ... North Facing at that. Opening a window every now and again would surely suffice?

I hopped on the ladder this morning and had a look in through the vent. There is no corresponding hole in the cavity block wall at all so it's not to vent the bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I hopped on the ladder this morning and had a look in through the vent. There is no corresponding hole in the cavity block wall at all so it's not to vent the bathroom.

Is the vent in the bedroom open (but just duct-less) or is it blocked like the bathroom? The reason I ask is that building regs require adequate ventilation which generally means wall events or trickle vents and it's possible the room vents weren't installed properly.

However I'm not sure if this reg applies to bathrooms (mine certainly doesn't have one) so I suspect that particular air brick was built-in so that an extractor fan could be fitted later without messing up the exterior finish.

I don't think there's any reason to ventilate the cavity between the brick leaf and the block leaf. AFAIK that's only necessary in timber framed houses and I would expect to find other air bricks low down near ground level to provide cross airflow.

My bathroom has no vents at all and leaving the window open for a while works just fine for me.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Is the vent in the bedroom open (but just duct-less) or is it blocked like the bathroom? The reason I ask is that building regs require adequate ventilation which generally means wall events or trickle vents and it's possible the room vents weren't installed properly.

However I'm not sure if this reg applies to bathrooms (mine certainly doesn't have one) so I suspect that particular air brick was built-in so that an extractor fan could be fitted later without messing up the exterior finish.

I don't think there's any reason to ventilate the cavity between the brick leaf and the block leaf. AFAIK that's only necessary in timber framed houses and I would expect to find other air bricks low down near ground level to provide cross airflow.

My bathroom has no vents at all and leaving the window open for a while works just fine for me.

you Are correct the bedroom is vented but no duct. That makes sense regarding the bathroom fan. I think I need to install a proper ducted vent In the bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

you Are correct the bedroom is vented but no duct. That makes sense regarding the bathroom fan. I think I need to install a proper ducted vent In the bedroom.

Or block it up and put a trickle vent in your window....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

are you showing any signs of condensation in bathroom at present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Probably should have been a cavity sleeve in there but was left out.
    CavitySleeves-150x150.jpg

http://www.timloc.co.uk/products/underfloor-through-wall-ventilation/cavity-sleeves/

[Edit]
    Just a thought but have you asked any of your neighbours if their bathroom has a vent? That would give you a clue at what the designs had intended
    [/Edit]

One more thing. In the attic I can stock my hand down between the brick and block leaf. Surely this should be capped?

What's the best way to block it up? Expanding foam?

Advertisement