Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to Co. Donegal or Thinking of Moving Here? Post In This Thread.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

Hi,
    I may have to move to Donegal next year with my partner and our 3 year old, were from the south east. I'm from a rural village and Im delighted we may have the opportunity to experience life in donegal but my partner is a city slicker and home bird and even living 15mins from our closest city centre is considered rural. Would you say they would feel the same in Letterkenny?
    We have family 20mins drive away at the moment and see them regularly. We are pretty much our own unit so I don't see the difference in moving up north. Would this be a drastic change in our lifestyle?
    I work full-time in the hospital so would be looking for a nice quiet family area around there? My partner works for Penney's so there will be no problem swapping to a new store but if that's not an option would living off my own income be sufficient in donegal? I've heard the cost of living is extremely good compared to where we live now. Town rent is 1100+ in our county at the moment.
    My biggest concerns would be schools and adjusting to having no friends/family? Has anyone else made this big of a change

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Hi.
    I'm sorry you haven't had a response to your questions yet from people who may have made a similar move.
    I'm a native of Letterkenny but lived away for a number of years and am back a long time. I can tell you is that the outskirts of Letterkenny would be pretty rural.
    Cost of living is cheaper here than Dublin and elsewhere. Rent depends on location. 4-5 years ago I lived in a 2-bed apartment in town centre and then moved to a 5-bedroom house near the hospital - and paid exactly the same rent! The area I moved to didn't have a good reputation, hence the cheap rent, but I never had any problems there and my neighbours were lovely.
    I think that amentities/activities have improved over the last number of years for both adults and children which could help you all make new friends.
    Maybe not of interest to your city-slicker partner, but there are beautiful beaches/mountains/hiking trails within easy driving distance. Our nearest city would actually be Belfast - approx 2 hours' drive.
    Hope that helps.
    T.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Our nearest city would actually be Belfast - approx 2 hours' drive.
    Hope that helps.
    T.

?

Bit of an anti-Derry slant on that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

NIMAN wrote: »
    ?

That or maybe they aren't so hot on geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

It is a very big move from the south east to the northwest. Depends where you intend to settle in the future. It’s 70 miles to Sligo and 150 miles to Dublin, so concerts, airports, events are mostly three hours away. Lovely county but too much rain to enjoy sometimes.Poorly designed town, bad transport, overcrowded hospital,very hilly. Cost of living cheaper and nice rural lifestyle. If you can do trial period, it would help as it will be totally different from the southeast, which is a nice, convenient part of the country.

• Advertisement

fawlty682 wrote: »
    It is a very big move from the south east to the northwest. Depends where you intend to settle in the future. It’s 70 miles to Sligo and 150 miles to Dublin, so concerts, airports, events are mostly three hours away. Lovely county but too much rain to enjoy sometimes.Poorly designed town, bad transport, overcrowded hospital,very hilly. Cost of living cheaper and nice rural lifestyle. If you can do trial period, it would help as it will be totally different from the southeast, which is a nice, convenient part of the country.

Derry is 20 mins away. 4th largest city on the Island.

NIMAN wrote: »
    ?

Not my intention. I suppose I was comparing with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

Thanks for the comments!
    I love the idea of the closeness to the beaches etc. But I am also concerned about the comete swap from the SE region to the NW of the country.
    Maybe a trial period of a month over the summer before school starts would be a good plan!
    Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dolly Jackso

Hi I am looking at relocating to Letterkenny from overseas next year, what is appealing to me is the affordability of houses in Letterkenny at the moment.
    Is there certain areas that is not recommended to buy property in, I would be looking at property near the hospital as I work in healthcare. I would love to hear people’s personal experiences about moving to Letterkenny, what they like and don’t like. Thanks🙏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Hi I am looking at relocating to Letterkenny from overseas next year, what is appealing to me is the affordability of houses in Letterkenny at the moment.
    Is there certain areas that is not recommended to buy property in, I would be looking at property near the hospital as I work in healthcare. I would love to hear people’s personal experiences about moving to Letterkenny, what they like and don’t like. Thanks🙏
    The Long Lane, just beside the hospital, is usually regarded as an undesirable area. However, my sister lives at the top of it, in a privately built house, and has had no problems in the 25 years she's lived there. Houses are very cheap there at the moment, and if you're thinking of staying in Letterkenny for a while, it may be worth considering this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is there certain areas that is not recommended to buy property in, I would be looking at property near the hospital as I work in healthcare. I would love to hear people’s personal experiences about moving to Letterkenny, what they like and don’t like. ThanksðŸ™

I moved here 20 years ago and have no regrets. It has all the facilities you need and in a large, diverse county. You also have Derry nearby if you want somewhere busier.
    The only issue is its so far away from everywhere else, so e.g. going to a concert in Dublin is a two-day job instead of a night out.

As for places to buy, go rent first and look around before you choose. You'll have a good idea from how the place looks. If you have a car, the countryside and quiet areas are five minutes away.

Agree that Long Lane has a bad reputation but I've lived in a couple of locations there over the years and had lovely neighbours. Houses definitely more affordable than other parts of town.
    I think that a lot of hospital workers live around the Mountain Top area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 skarman11

Hi there folks,

I am new in Letterkenny since 2 months ago. I'm living in the outskirts of the town in a house. I found the flats/apartments around town center kind of poorly maintained for the price requested so I'm avoiding it as long as I can work from home.

Only problem is that I have no vehicle here. I was thinking about an electric bike or a scooter, for having 10 minutes or less to town instead of 25 min walking. Also have thought about a car, but maybe it is a very expensive option.

Also I'm struggling a bit meeting new people. I play electric and acoustic guitar, also sing a bit. I'm looking for a band or for whoever wants to make music.

I'll be grateful of any advice. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Advertisement