Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Never had one thank God but i was present when others had them in all 3 places, nasty stuff.

the belief at the time was that the free meal lessened your chances of getting a shift.

remember when pubs had to close on a sunday afternoon?

i notice a lot of pubs are open late on Christmas Eve, which I find sad. its great to go to the pub on the 24th but come 6pm its time to head home.
    a lot of pubs in galway still do not open on the 26th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭thesandeman

You're going ahead of yourself there but no pub in the City opens late on Christmas Eve. Its one of the few places in Ireland that keeps that tradition. Anywhere that keeps serving until official closing time that night only do it for staff/regulars as a party but always close their doors.

The only time of the year when Galway is totally at peace is from 9pm on Xmas Eve till 9am Xmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

JustMary wrote: »
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    If they're changing licensing laws, maybe they should stop people being able to buy drink at 10.30am.
    Clever. Discriminate against the retired old people who go for a drink in the morning, in favour of the young ones who'd rather drink in the early hours.
    I'd say it would be discriminating more against those of us who like to do our weekly grocery shopping in the morning. Instead of being able to buy wine or beer at the same time as we buy the food it is going to be served with we would be forced to make a separate journey.

You're going ahead of yourself there but no pub in the City opens late on Christmas Eve. Its one of the few places in Ireland that keeps that tradition. Anywhere that keeps serving until official closing time that night only do it for staff/regulars as a party but always close their doors.

The only time of the year when Galway is totally at peace is from 9pm on Xmas Eve till 9am Xmas Day.

i could be wrong, but i was sure some of the super pubs were pen until till ten christmas eve. maybe it proved unpopular.

I'd say it would be discriminating more against those of us who like to do our weekly grocery shopping in the morning. Instead of being able to buy wine or beer at the same time as we buy the food it is going to be served with we would be forced to make a separate journey.

and if you buy them together after ten the girl at the checkout may not be able to sell you alcohol if she is under age.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Garda enforce laws SHOCKER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

But the price paid for this approach will be the death of Galway as a preferred tourist destination in Ireland, the loss of many jobs in the hospitality trade and the impact of the recession will be greatly magnified in the City.

I don't see why given the research on the topic, the Gardai can't divert funding into their projects such as Healthy Cities to curb excessive drinking and antisocial behaviour instead of funding the men to go out and close down clubs who are barely scraping a profit sometimes.

From GalwayNews.ie
    It found that a shocking two out of every five people (38%) binge drink once or more times per week – binging is consuming more than six standard drinks (defined as a halfpint of lager or cider, a glass of wine, a bottle of alcopop or a single spirit measure) in one sitting.

Throw in earlier closing times and going out becomes less attractive, meaning more cheaper alcohol at home. Thats not healthy. From what I've heard from bar people this is an attempt to crack down on students (why start in August I'll never know), who are just going to wreck havoc in local estates and student accommodation. I'm saying this as a 21 year old, who's just finished in NUIG, even I think its gone beyond a joke. I simply don't see who benefits, or what the Super set out to achieve apart from getting more money for the state from clubs. Its not going to solve any actual problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Was out last Wednesday night, Carbon got shut down about 1.15am, no one was prepared for it, the staff, bar staff or DJ.

Didn't really get answers about why it was closing early, on our way out a perplexed German lad and his group of friends stopped us and asked why the club was closing so early and whether or not it was normal.

At this time we hadn't realised the other clubs had been shut down, went Supermacs, relatively quiet seeing as all the clubs had been closed down. It turns out this had happened the two nights previously.

Over the weekend however, Carbon posted up a status saying that
    And no, we will not be closing at 1am!
    !

So hopefully talks went well! There will be uproar over this however as by the looks of it the clubs hadn't been informed that they were going to have to close early!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So hopefully talks went well! There will be uproar over this however as by the looks of it the clubs hadn't been informed that they were going to have to close early!

Why, did the law change ????

THFC wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why some clubs in Dublin, e.g. Coppers, can stay open till 4, while most clubs close at 2.30? Also, how do the late night wine bars (which essentially are clubs) e.g. Leggs, stay open until like 6??

I've left Halo as late as 3:30, drink served up until nearly 3.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    i notice a lot of pubs are open late on Christmas Eve, which I find sad. its great to go to the pub on the 24th but come 6pm its time to head home.
    a lot of pubs in galway still do not open on the 26th December.

While people shouldn't be falling in the door at 1am on christmas eve 6 is a bit early. We always go to 8 o'clock mass Christmas eve and then head to our local after it for a few (in county Galway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I would have to disagree with that. The last couple of years I have been later than six (and beyond!) in at least 3 Galway pubs that weren't 'lock ins'*.
    *One notable exception that ran well into santa time (and I suspect that particular location does when the staff are 'in the mood') ;)
    The Christmas eve nights were indeed filled with regulars, some only flying in that day, but plenty of blow ins and orphans too.
    Not everyone celebrates Christmas, times are changing. I will stress that these late eves are lovely nights and full of the spirit of the season, and less about getting hammered!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I don't see why given the research on the topic, the Gardai can't divert funding into their projects such as Healthy Cities to curb excessive drinking and antisocial behaviour instead of funding the men to go out and close down clubs who are barely scraping a profit sometimes.

From GalwayNews.ie

Throw in earlier closing times and going out becomes less attractive, meaning more cheaper alcohol at home. Thats not healthy. From what I've heard from bar people this is an attempt to crack down on students (why start in August I'll never know), who are just going to wreck havoc in local estates and student accommodation. I'm saying this as a 21 year old, who's just finished in NUIG, even I think its gone beyond a joke. I simply don't see who benefits, or what the Super set out to achieve apart from getting more money for the state from clubs. Its not going to solve any actual problems.

You'd have to label my dad as a binge drinker so as he goes for 3-4 pints over a period of 2-3 hours on a Friday evening.

In my opinion there's excessive drinking (15 units+) and then there's the clinical description of binge drinking which is basically anyone who has more than 3 pints.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Why, did the law change ????

It hasn't changed, it's being enforced. However, all the clubs have been opening late for well over the past 2/3 years so there's a lot of unhappy punters at the moment! If there was warning people would be grand, not entirely but at least there was warning but the way it's being handled is completely wrong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

As someone thats works in the trade its so annoying
    In Limerick its seems to be 2.30am Cork 2.am,Kilkenny 2am but was back at 1.30am until the owners met the Garda

I posted a thread about Coppers and clubs in Dublin till after 2.30am

Its so annoying when you work and care about your trade and run a good house and get on with the guards

sasta le wrote: »
    but was back at 1.30am until the owners met the Garda

Are you serious? So it could yet be rectified depending on whether GMs go to the Gardaí and what not?

Oh I'd say it's fierce annoying if you're working there! Sure the last night the car staff were still going, they hadn't a clue that they were closing early!:mad:

Are you serious? So it could yet be rectified depending on whether GMs go to the Gardaí and what not?

Nope, it seems the law is the law now and the meeting on friday had no effect.

The nod and a wink extension of closing time to 2am applied to pubs that had a bar extension in place till 1am anyway but the fact that the Guards cleared every pub earlier on Monday and Tuesday of last week indicates that the exemptions were simply not in place. In other words they were all simply taking the piss. :)

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27251-garda%C3%AD-call-time-city-bars%E2%80%99-late-night-drinks
    a new licensing sergeant in Galway appears to be implementing the ‘letter of the law’, which prompted the latest series of inspections.

I'd say that there are well known pubs out there that never bothered with a bar extension in years, that will change from now on.
    Galway Gardaí have confirmed to the Connacht Sentinel that a number of inspections have been carried out in recent weeks on city centre pubs to ensure they are complying with licensing laws in relation to opening hours, and in particular late night exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Well done to the new licencing sergeant, time to get the situation under control.

Publicans have become far too big an influence in the city, the city council and guards facilitate their businesses way too much, they corden off streets, provide security, etc etc. Would any other business sector be facilitated to the same extent? no way. Some factories can't even get proper road/electrical infrastructure to support their growth.

Its time for a reality check on the publicans dominant position in Galway...
    lets see a list of;
    • how many supported the Volvo Ocean Race?
    • how many supported the Arts Festival?
    • how many support the cost of xmas lights in city centre
    • how many have their property rates paid upto date
    • how many support the 'shop in Galway' at xmas campaign

Of course, I'm not advocating extermination of the pub trade, but its part of the commercial mix of the city centre, not the exclusive playground for pub owners to profit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Isn't it arguably more important to crack down on daytime drinking? Anyone remember the mess that was the Hole in the Wall at 2pm a few months back?

This sergeant should just feck off, things are working grand all along and now this. Its benefiting nobody. Pubs close early, means less people employed in pubs. This leads to people going home earlier so take aways close earlier therefore less work for staff in take away. Its also incredibly annoying for people going out in town. The expemptions are too expensive and I have no problem with a bit of nod and wink going on for bars to stay open late.

Hopefully publican power will win out in the end and things go back the way they were. I'd go so far as to say this is disgraceful behaviour from the sergeant at a time when there is a shortage of Garda resources and he is wasting it interfering in people out having a few drinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Every night club in the city has been paying for exemptions.

Bar none.

They have been closed at 1 on monday - thursday because the district court has the power to dictate the terms of the exemption nad has, for years, dictated that from monday - thursday the exemption only applies to 1am.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Every night club in the city has been paying for exemptions.

Bar none.

They have been closed at 1 on monday - thursday because the district court has the power to dictate the terms of the exemption nad has, for years, dictated that from monday - thursday the exemption only applies to 1am.

I'd cut them some slack so. I would't cut the pubs any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The late pubs have paid for the exemptions too.

The GM's of the clubs/pubs have formed a committee of which John Callanan (owner of Skeff/Karma) is the spokesperson.
    They have Derek Nolan, Éamon Ó Cuív and Brial Walsh supporting them so far (this was last friday) and were approaching the County and City reps also.

The Super is just being an idiot, he's acting like a dog with a bone, he doesn't give a feck who it affects as long as he's "enforcing the law". It will spectacularly backfire on him though, he will end up looking like a moron.

ALL of them, without exception. ???
    The GM's of the clubs/pubs have formed a committee of which John Callanan (owner of Skeff/Karma) is the spokesperson.
    They have Derek Nolan, Éamon Ó Cuív and Brial Walsh supporting them so far (this was last friday) and were approaching the County and City reps also.
    Not a peep out of any of them in public yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does this move also affect pubs that were purchased by retired garda in Galway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

The Super is just being an idiot, he's acting like a dog with a bone, he doesn't give a feck who it affects as long as he's "enforcing the law". It will spectacularly backfire on him though, he will end up looking like a moron.

It's a 'she'

The Super is just being an idiot, he's acting like a dog with a bone, he doesn't give a feck who it affects as long as he's "enforcing the law".
    Would that not be an admirable trait in a garda?

Would that not be an admirable trait in a garda?

Not when its a stupid law which the vast majority of people want ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I'm surprised at the level of outrage against the Gardai enforcing the letter of the law. I suppose there are people who are happy for the law to be ignored when it suits their agenda. There is obviously an effort to curb some of the anti-social behaviour seen in Galway late at night. It is a minority group, but they are spoiling it for everyone else. The reefer heads were up in arms when the headshops were closed down but most people were not bothered. Just because there is a large vocal group in Galway who support flagrant disregard for licensing laws does not mean it should have any advocacy with any political or law enforcement group. If a bar wants to stay open, buy a license....simple. If half the country tomorrow decided it was a breach of their civil liberties to pay motor tax and refused to do so while continuing to drive, it wouldn't make it any more legal if hundreds of thousands of people followed suit. It would also be unfair on those who pay their motor tax. The law is the law and unfortunately we tend to justify lawlessness by the amount of participants in our lawlessness, which is a great fallacy ofour social and legal awareness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

zarquon wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the level of outrage against the Gardai enforcing the letter of the law. I suppose there are people who are happy for the law to be ignored when it suits their agenda. There is obviously an effort to curb some of the anti-social behaviour seen in Galway late at night. It is a minority group, but they are spoiling it for everyone else. The reefer heads were up in arms when the headshops were closed down but most people were not bothered. Just because there is a large vocal group in Galway who support flagrant disregard for licensing laws does not mean it should have any advocacy with any political or law enforcement group. If a bar wants to stay open, buy a license....simple. If half the country tomorrow decided it was a breach of their civil liberties to pay motor tax and refused to do so while continuing to drive, it wouldn't make it any more legal if hundreds of thousands of people followed suit. It would also be unfair on those who pay their motor tax. The law is the law and unfortunately we tend to justify lawlessness by the amount of participants in our lawlessness, which is a great fallacy ofour social and legal awareness

But it's not going to have an effect, that's the thing.
    People will start 1-2 hours earlier.

If they shut the pubs at midnight, people would still start earlier. Heavily policed closing times are the reason people get gee eyed because they rush to down drinks thinking "oh jaysus, 30 minutes until the bar closes, I can get two more in if I swamp this drink."

In relation to the headshops your analogy is flawed.

The new super is trying to make a name for herself and isn't doing herself any favours with trying to get the locals on her side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ireland has a serious problem with alcohol. I think closing the pubs early will actually be harmful. As rightly pointed out, I think people will go to the pub early and started drinking earlier than they normally would but it won't stop them drinking once the pubs close. It will spill out into the estates, people will get a taxi home with friends and keep drinking where as if they were leaving at 3 most would fall away.

Drunk and Disorderly should carry more penalties. Community service and a fine.

If the Gardai are called out to a noise disturbance, it should be an automatic fine from the management companies.

If an ambulance is called out for a drink related incident it should come with an automatic tax.

Where I am at the moment they have the toughest drink driving penalties in America. 3 weekends of Auto-School. If you get 2 DUIs, it's an automatic 45 day jail sentence. If you blow into the extreme e.g. 2-3 times etc. the legal limit it's an automatic jail sentence, license gets revoked and a fine. I don't think we need that in Galway any more it's not as bad as it use to be but it would be worth looking at a tough penalty for firs time offense if they are way over the limit.

The law will need to be changed, otherwise Galway will fall on even worse times.

Advertisement